Hardware for 3rd Brake Light? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of swapping out a rusty upper rear hatch door for a new one from a junk yard. My old upper hatch, (lx 470), had the whale tail spoiler but the new hatch doesn't. In fact, the new hatch has nothing but empty holes where plugs should be to accept a screw from the brake light lens. Does anyone know how to remove these threaded plugs from my old hatch to install them on the new hatch? If that's not viable, does anyone know the part number for this plug so that I can get some new ones to install the brake light lens? Thanks in advance for any assistance!
IMG_2642.jpeg

Here's a close up of the plug. . . . the inside of this hole is threaded to accept the bolt from the 3rd brake light lens. Thanks again!

IMG_2643.jpeg

On the backside of the tailgate are rubber plugs. Are the nuts accessible from there?

Was it an aftermarket spoiler? Those could be riv-nuts.

There’s nothing to grip on the back side- it’s just this stem under the rubber plug. I’m wondering if this is welded in place. Any ideas? Thanks!
8A5623D6-34C8-4953-AF5D-D7B162D715E3.jpeg

On the backside of the tailgate are rubber plugs. Are the nuts accessible from there?

Was it an aftermarket spoiler? Those could be riv-nuts.

Wasn't an after market spoiler. . . .definitely an OEM option that was installed at the factory. Riv-nuts seem to make sense. Thanks for the reply!

Probably best to use rubber rivnuts (as seen) for a better water seal versus the standard rivnuts.

I'm trying to remember how the brake light is attached, it has no screws from the outside.
IIRCC, I was thinking there are 2 screws from underneath and 2 posts that clip into the receivers.
I am not sure how the whale tail hooks up to the tailgate, never took 1 of them off.

I'm trying to remember how the brake light is attached, it has no screws from the outside.
IIRCC, I was thinking there are 2 screws from underneath and 2 posts that clip into the receivers.
I am not sure how the whale tail hooks up to the tailgate, never took 1 of them off.

I just removed an OEM whale tail. There was actually a functioning brake light underneath the whale tail. There are 2 long narrow screws (6 or 7mm hex nuts) that are attached to the brake light and hold the brake light in place

Are those plugs actually threaded? Mine were not threaded. I just slipped the 2 brake light screws and tightened the nut from the inside of the trunk.

I just removed an OEM whale tail. There was actually a functioning brake light underneath the whale tail. There are 2 long narrow screws (6 or 7mm hex nuts) that are attached to the brake light and hold the brake light in place

Are those plugs actually threaded? Mine were not threaded. I just slipped the 2 brake light screws and tightened the nut from the inside of the trunk.

There wasn't a functioning brake light underneath my spoiler but I think the factory install relied on rivnuts to attach the panel that sat in place of the brake light lens. You're giving me hope that I don't need to bother with trying to install new rivnuts to accept the the brake light lens. I ordered the new brake light and will be able to make final confirmation once I have it but I think you're right that it doesn't attach by way of screwing into rivnuts. . . it attaches by securing bolts from the back side, (through the rubber plug holes). I decided against trying to swap over the spoiler onto the new hatch because there were no holes in the new hatch to accept the middle supports for the spoiler. And I wasn't particularly fond on the spoiler to begin with. I'll plan to update this thread with the outcome once I receive the new brake light. Thanks very much for the help!

The 3rd brake light is designed to work without any rivnuts. I'm fairly confident there was no factory spoiler for the LX in 1999. It could've been dealer/port installed though. An OE spoiler didn't come out until 2003.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom