Builds Hard Ways - Rigger's 1969 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh man that’s cool. I’ve always thought those were trick. Would that be likely to solve the slow start problem?

You don’t really want to have to open your hood to start your truck. Next thing you know, you’ll be wanting the crank handle too!

Just crank the engine over dry for 14 seconds before you pump the gas pedal. That’s usually enough to prime the carb.

I had a perennial hard start issue with my K5 that I solved with an in-line electric pump and a fuel pressure gauge. Toggle the switch and watch the gauge until it reached 4psi. One pump on the pedal and it would start every time.

Never had that issue with a Landcruiser.

Hand prime fuel pump & engine crank handle. Package deal!

When I posted Mark's hand primer pump I was thinking the FJ60 gear reduction starter mod might also help prime fuel system faster.

I decided to take the '40 out today. I went out to the back garage; inside, it smells like oil, like fuel, like dust and dirt. I wiped off the seats, and poured gas in the tank. I pumped the pedal a few times, pulled out the choke knob, and rolled it over. Oh man, I love love love the sound of it coming to life. (Don't you?) It coughed a bit and then quickly settled into that thoroughly lovely rhythm that only an old F engine makes.

I drove around the neighborhood a bit. The steering wanders, the doors rattle, the suspension is choppy. But it is a fine day here, and the ride was quite enjoyable. I can honestly say it improved my frame of mind, and contributed positively to my mental state.

398F430C-4BF7-4775-855D-3EA80FB47C97.jpeg

That’s what I like to hear/read.😊

I’m pretty my wandering steering is the steering box. I need to do something about that one.

I’m pretty my wandering steering is the steering box. I need to do something about that one.

Don't forget 6 tie-rod ends. A lot can happen between all of that.

Since you have the doors off, it’s a fairly simple matter to squat down by the back of the driver’s side fender and reach up into the cab to the steering wheel.
Note how far the wheel moves before the pitman arm of the steering box follows. Chances are that it is a lot more than factory specs.

And if you want to have the box exchanged for a rebuilt, you’re in luck! I’m coming back to Wyoming next month!
Get your 40 down to the Relic Run and we can make this happen!

did you understand the RED INK warning Rigger regarding the broken off orientation TAB on the ING. switch ?

the 4 PIN connector & Plug detail ............

did you understand the RED INK warning Rigger regarding the broken off orientation TAB on the ING. switch ?

the 4 PIN connector & Plug detail ............

Matt; I plan to contact you by phone and discuss that ignition switch. I have not had time to do it yet.

PM me if you dont have my shop hot line please

thanks bud ...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom