Hard top installation advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched the site for this question and was suprised that I couldn't find any info. My appologies if this is a repeat...

I have a hard top that I restored and am now ready to put it back on the body (I took it apart to paint all the parts individually). I have all the seals, butyl rubber, fasteners, etc. I have 2 choices for installation:

1) Assemble it , then get some friends to help me put it on in one piece, OR

2) Put the sides on the tub independently (unfastened), then dump the top on.

Any opinions are appreciated, I want to consider this last part of the restoration carefully since I want to minimize any water intrusion problems.

Thanks much

if you've restored it, you'll want someone's help putting it on in pieces, too. they individual pieces are light, but bulky.

If it were me I'd put it on in pieces. Grab a buddy and assemble it on the Cruiser. Assemble the parts loosely then go back and adjust to maximize fit and tighten it all down. Good luck!

Good point Gumby. I forgot that I cut mine down after the first time put the top back on. I cut mine down to just under 2" in length. Makes it MUCH easier getting the top back on. L8tr!

whats the easiest way to take off the top? with the weather getting warmer, im looking to take the top off, but with it just being me and my sis most of the time having in one peice would not really be an option.
also looking forward to taking it off so i can play in the mudd to.. lost a beat have to fold down windsheild and take off top and go mudd bogging. but will do that b4 the paint job.
nate

Heres my favorite way:
http://members.tripod.com/~TymP/FJ40top.html
Thanks Tym.
I would do that, but my ATV winch is busted, so I just get a friend and my dad and use two by fours to slide under it once getting it up, and then grab it and just lift it the rest of the way off. Also-NEVER EVER try to lift it from the part of the top that is above the front doors. It causes the fiberglass to seperate from the raingutter. &nbsp:Don't ask how I know... :slap:

hey,

the only bad part about putting it together in parts (i just did it last thanksgiving) is getting the seal kit lined up right.

if you don't plan ahead, it will take you forever to get the big one in between the raingutter and the sides. go through and mark out the holes for the bolts (and either punch them out, or drill them out. that's what i did and it made a nice circular hole in the rubber).

then either try and just make it fit after you put the fiberglass on (this is what i did) or you can use some adhesive (it's worth a shot) to glue it to the raingutter, so it'll be a straight shot.

also, make sure before you start assembling that you have all the needed bolt holes open. i stripped the whole thing down and welded sheet metal into some problem spots of rust (and covered up the bolt holes). i made this mistake and couldn't fasten the fiberglass to the beams above the doors. oh well.

good luck,
jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom