Hand Held CB Radios? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to purchase a CB for my truck but I really don't want to hard wire one. My plan is to run my truck in warmer weather with tube doors for multiple days at a time and I want to make sure that everything I add to my truck can be quickly removed when not in use. Has anyone had any experience with hand held CB radios? If so do they perform reasonably well? My guess is no since everyone seems to have a hardwire mount w/ external antenna. Keep in mind I am only looking for something that I can use on trail rides. I don't really need anything that will have a super long range for highway travel or anything like that.

41SLqzVv9KL._SS500_.jpg

Something like this?

I am thinking about mounting a firestik on the truck and using it with a handheld if that is a possibility. I just want to make sure the actual radio can be removed quickly and reinstalled quickley.

I am thinking about mounting a firestik on the truck and using it with a handheld if that is a possibility. I just want to make sure the actual radio can be removed quickly and reinstalled quickley.

I had one and it will work fine.

I have had the Midland version that is posted above for a few years.
It is connected to a good antenna mounted up high and if I can hear someone they can hear me. Having weather frequencies programmed and the ability to scan all 40 CB channels is a plus.

I have the cobra road trip combo. It's worked great so far. It has both battery and 12v power options as well as a removable antena or a magnetic roof mount antena. I really like spotters to have hand helds it really comes in handy. I'll eventually get a hard wired one, but I'll always keep the handheld.

i had the handheld cobra before i upgraded to a hard-wired cb and it worked great. just keep lots of AA batteries in your rig. btw, if you dont feel like ordering it online they sell them at Bass Pro.

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of it, but why not go with the Big Bill Combo and you can remove the handset in seconds. The handhelds are great for the trails but you may want to use it on the road at some point and the Big Bill gives you that flexibility.....especially if you are going to go through the "trouble" to wire in an antenna. AA batteries are a PITA to carry around on the trail.....just sayin'.

The plus side of the handheld is that you can use it for spotting as well. I use both the one hardwired and handheld, never know when someone may need a CB to use

I have the Midland radio. It's a great little radio when hooked up to an external antenna. It will go to 5 watts on the external. it's limited to 1watt on the included small antenna. It has a lot of great features. It comes with a rechargable battery, a AA battery pack and a hookup for external power/antenna.

There isn't really anything you can do to tune the Midland. I'm actually switching to a uniden which is very small and has better reception but is not a handheld.

Last edited:
Do you guys use a spring with your Firesticks or is that unnecessary? I bought the 3'.

I use a spring and it gets knocked all the time. Glad I have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom