HAM radio license (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sec-data-eng.com
Anybody got one? I am trying to figure out where in the area I can take the test, what info or advice i need for buying one for my vehicle and see if anyone else is interested.

Dallas

Dallas,

PM me when you hear anything on the HAM license. Ironically, I was just talking about this yesterday.

Van

sorry for jumping in your club sight, but i might be able to help you our.l

for info on testing, licensing, and general info, go to the aarl website...there should be a link there to punch in your zip code and it will tell you where and when someone will be testing in your area.

the test for tech class license, first step in the ham license chain, (a lot of rising sun members are hammers and most of us don't feel we need to go any farther than the tech level, even some of the general license holders have said they probably will never use what their license allows them) should run about $14.

there are places online to do testing like hamtestonline.com. these tests pull directly from the test question pool. there's also a book that all ham stores carry, can't remmber what it's called, but it should be listed in the aarl website, that has all the test questions.

hth
ige

It's funny, I was just thinking about this myself and was checking out some threads in the electronics section of MUD. I came across a link to these guys that offer monthly tests at a church here in Alexandria.

MVARC K4US

I have had the AARL test book for a year or so and have been meaning to take the test. One of these days I will. If you get the AARL test book and study it for a few days you should be able to pass the test easily. They have sample tests and definitely check out the site Ige lists hamtestonline.com for sample tests.

another butt in....i'm a bit poor, so unlike most of the guys in my club who purchased the fancy radios, i purchased a yaesu ft2800m, 2 meter radio(a couple others also have this radio)...it's tough and works very well. i found it on sale for for $119.

i found the antenna and nmo style mounts online, can't remember where, but expect about $60-80 for a good setup there. nice thing about that is i bought multiple mounts (1 per vehicle ) and the antenna just quickly screws on and off. i also made extra power harnesses for all the extra rigs and i can fairly quickly swap the radio vehicle to vehicle.

most of my club runs yaesu brand radios, which is nice whenever someone has a question on operating their radio, because someone else may know something you don't.

i think emorth has his license.

Guys,
Hi, I'm from DC/MD/VA area thought temporarily working in Central America. I decided to take study for my tech lisence and test for it on my next trip up. I searched the aarl site and some others and found that they give the test twice a month at a church in Alexandria, VA and also way out in Rappahanock. As soon as I figure out when I can get back up, probably at the end of this month that is on my list of things to do. BTW I'll be looking you guys up once I get back permanently. :cheers: John

HRO

I am headed down to the Ham Radio Outlet in Woodbridge this week to see what info they have on Licensing in the area. I will post the test dates and any other info I get once I get it.

For the people in the area that do have licenses, is there a paticular radio that people in this area use? I suspect that getting something similar as the one post suggested might be a good idea.

Dallas

I have been a ham since 1973. Yes, my first radio had tubes in it. Here are a few links to local clubs, most offer classes and exams.

Woodbridge Wireless Woodbridge Wireless Inc., amateur radio, ham, field day

Vienna Wireless Vienna Wireless Society - News

Ole Virginia Hams, Manassas Ole Virginia Hams Amateur Radio Club

Mt. Vernon ARC MVARC K4US

So. MD Southern Maryland Amateur Radio Club

PG Co. The Green Mountain Repeater Association

No. VA NVFMA Home Page

Alexandria Alexandria Radio Club

Columbia, MD Columbia Amateur Radio Association

There are more clubs in Maryland, I am just not familiar with them. The ARRL is a good source of info ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page

If anyone is interested in a ham tech day, let me know. We can talk about, classes, study guides, exams, radios, antennas, repeaters, mobile installations, soldering connectors, whatever you like.

OBTW, Ham radio is not just car-to-car radio. Hams have built extensive radio infrastructures, we even have satellites in orbit.

Ed
WA3TOL
ed@emorth.com

I picked up the study guide earlier in the week and took my tech license this past saturday. I passed, maybe not with flying colors, but I figure my college diplomas probably should have had partial credit written on them as well...

now to find a radio....

you can also do review tests on-line and it makes it pretty easy to pass.

bk

Thanks.

Good info. out there. Thanks to all who replied. The HAM outlet in Woodbridge is a go- nothing but positive feed back on this store. I will have my HAM license by year end.

Van

Upcoming testing dates and location.

08-Nov-2008 OR
13-Dec-2008
Sponsor: MOUNT VERNON ARC
Time: 9:30 AM (Walk-ins allowed)
(703)971-3905
Email: WZ4A@ARRL.NET
VEC:Laurel VEC
2723 KING ST
DOOR@INTERSECTION OF CHURCH
& ATTACHED SCHOOL BUILDING
ALEXANDRIA, VA 22302

Just ordered my tech manual from amazon, should be testing for tech license on either one of these two dates. I am considering a Yaesu FT-8800. :grinpimp:

Hi guys,
I'm a mudder who curently lives in Central America but who is born and bred in the DC area. When I get back here at the end of my assignment I anticipate looking you guys up. I just wanted to let you guys know that I just sat for both my Tech and General today over in PG County and passed each. With some encouragement from the VEC I'll be back next month and will sit for the Extra test then.

Passed HAM Tech exam.

Passed HAM exam, if you have any questions email me.

Josh
KB3RWR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom