HAM license (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Helipilot

SILVER Star
Threads
Have received my FCC station identification: KG5NVL - General and going for the Extra License before the end of this month. Don't try to call me, haven't decided which radio to buy.

What did you end up with?

Traded my original call sign for W5SCM which has a special meaning for me. My dad built me the old cat whisker radio to get my interest peaked back in 1952. We built many radios together after that. The new call sign is my mom and dad's initials.

I still haven't bought a radio. Firestone Tire and Rubber refused to pay my final invoice totaling $246,987 and we had to take them to court. We were the sub contractor and the primary contractor based out of Georgia walked off the job leaving us to finish the project without paying us either. We tightened our belt and finished the project at their plant and then filed liens on the plant, the property and the industrial park. They finally paid us. I have paid all my suppliers including late fees (not much left after that). But, my mind has been distracted and haven't done anything yet regarding the radio.

I think the Kenwood 75 series Hand held will be one of them. Still looking at a unit to mount in the FJ-40.

Rustybucket said "Do not buy the all mode radios. If it fails, you have zero radios to use. Buy two radios instead. One vhf one hf." Thanks for that RB. Good advice.

Sorry for the troubles. I'll differ from rusty in that I think an all mode radio is very useful and can be an excellent "shack in a box". Also buy a VHF rig but don't discount the utility of an all in one radio. I use the icom 706mkII and it isn't great on VHF, but it is nice to have the capability. It is not my daily driver on VHF but it will get the job done if needed.

Thanks Danny. Seems like every other day is like a cat fight around here sometimes. But hey, I'm a combat veteran and everything else since is like a sunny day and bluebirds singing.

That stuff with Firestone was just business and sometimes you have to get tough and get in their face. Those big companies take advantage of small companies and that is why my attorney is my best friend. The federal gov't is worse, usually take 90 days to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom