Events/Trails Ham Jam 2020 (in lieu of December club meeting) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
2020 Club Meeting #11
What:
Ham radio training, tuning, and setup workshop
Date: Saturday December 5, 2020 9AM
Place: @reklund5's house
Bring: Land Cruisers! Chairs (or you'll be standing), ham radio equipment installed or not. The club will pay for food and non-alcoholic beverages.

Details:
@reklund5 has graciously offered up his home and knowledge of ham radio installation, configuration, and use training to the club. Bring your gear and your rigs and we will work together to get everything setup. Be sure to search online and order programming cables for your radio! If you haven't purchased equipment, then check back on this thread for suggested components for a mobile setup in your rig.

Last edited:
I'm happy to provide some direction on what to buy if anyone needs it. The Baofengs are a killer deal, and work well for what they are. I'd definitely recommend getting an externally mounted antenna for vehicle use. This one works well and isn't too expensive: (I tried to post a link but it doesn't play nice. Search "Baofeng Magnetic Antenna" on amazon and look for the below part number)

Nagoya UT-72

The Baofeng radios are chineseium, but beware of knockoffs. This one is a Genuine Baofeng.

Amazon product ASIN B00MAULSOK
For vehicle use, it's much easier to have a handheld mic, rather than picking up the radio every time. Consider one of these:

Amazon product ASIN B00Z4X3MM6

Rugged Radios (who makes race intercoms like in my little truck) has a rebadged Baofeng as well. Its the exact same radio you can get from Amazon, but it's blue, and costs a bit more. If you want some on-site race support at any event they attend, it may be worth the money to spend a bit extra. Interestingly, they make a ton of accessories for using the handheld on a motorcycle/snowmobile, etc.

Now, if you're wanting something with some more power, and better quality, we can talk about a proper mobile radio. Again there are tons of options for single or dual band, UHF or VHF, fixed display or remote display, etc. The best deal out there right now is on the Yaesu 2980. Its a single band, but its 80W of power and has a large, easy to read display. I've got a couple of these for chase duty and they're hard to beat at $139.00 They're not exactly small, so mounting becomes a bit of a concern, as they don't have a remote head display. If you want to see one firsthand, come check mine out. Also, if you choose one of these (or any proper mobile radio) we need to discuss antennas and mounting options. Those are so vehicle and setup specific that its hard to make a single recommendation here. We can talk directly if you are interested in going that route.

I have a decent supply of stuff to install radios (power cables, connectors, etc) however if we plan ahead you can bring your own, or I can purchase some more and you can reimburse me. Anyone who wants to get setup, feel free to post here and we can discuss your setup and what it'll take to make it all work.

@reklund5 thanks for the guidance...I think I'll get the Rugged Radio since they are on sale, with the handheld mic. My truck already has a rear antenna mount near the lift gate with a firestick. Should I be looking at reusing the existing wiring from the center console to the firestick, but replacing the antenna? Or just use the antenna on the handheld?

I'm down. I've got a FT-8900 in the 40 and a FTM-400XDR in the Tundra. I really like them both but need to get a better eternal speaker for the 40 as I can't hear at all if I'm moving.

I just ordered one of these Radioditty 5W powered speakers from Amazon. It should do nicely and not hurt the wallet too much.

I don't think the Uniden Bearcat external speaker I bought was impedance matched for the Yaesu output. I'll be ordering a new Yaesu/Vertex external speaker soon.

I checked that before ordering. The Ohms match my FT-2980R.

1603123870175.png

I'm down. I've got a FT-8900 in the 40 and a FTM-400XDR in the Tundra. I really like them both but need to get a better eternal speaker for the 40 as I can't hear at all if I'm moving.
I have the same radio and the same problem. Going over 30 MPH and I might as well be deaf. Love the radio. Would like to see how far it can reach out. Can anyone bring a meter to measure output of the antenna?

I have the same radio and the same problem. Going over 30 MPH and I might as well be deaf. Love the radio. Would like to see how far it can reach out. Can anyone bring a meter to measure output of the antenna?

I am seriously thinking of installing racing headphones in the 40. If you get the right setup you can pipe music through them and also intercom communications with passengers.

Hey guys. I am putting together my power and connectors for the ham install and I thought I'd share what @reklund5 and I came up with. I'd recommend each of you order this or something similar.

I also ordered the externa speaker mentioned above. I got it today and it works great. Here's some other things I got for my install...

I also ordered a 50 foot spool of RG58 for everyone to use if you want a custom length cable. I have cutters, crimpers, and a 10-pack of plugs for the back of the radios, heat shrink. You will need an NMO mount if you want to build a custom cable length. Remember you cannot coil excess wire, you have to distribute it to ensure the best tx/rx possible. It might be good if someone else gets some more of the plugs though.

@hairy_apple: You and your club mates are welcome to join us for this event. Just RSVP how many people are coming ASAP.

@reklund5 thanks for the guidance...I think I'll get the Rugged Radio since they are on sale, with the handheld mic. My truck already has a rear antenna mount near the lift gate with a firestick. Should I be looking at reusing the existing wiring from the center console to the firestick, but replacing the antenna? Or just use the antenna on the handheld?
Man , sorry for the LATE reply!
Your existing wiring will be fine- we just need to get you a dual band antenna. They make adapters to go from your existing connector to the Rugged Radio. I assume you have a PL259 connector and need the little one for a rugged handheld?

Hey all-

In an effort to be prepared, and maximize our effectiveness on the 5th, I’d like to get a headcount and an idea of what you’d like to accomplish with your HAM gear that day. If I need to order any wires, connectors, or parts I need to do so quickly. Post up if you intend to come, what type of radio you’re running, and what needs to be done.

Hey @rusty_tlc, will you be there? Will you bring your SWR meter and any other cool things for ham you might have? Or can I meet you somewhere and get them from you if you aren't planning on being there?

Hey @rusty_tlc, will you be there? Will you bring your SWR meter and any other cool things for ham you might have? Or can I meet you somewhere and get them from you if you aren't planning on being there?
Not sure about the meeting. You guys can borrow my SWR meter. I can drop it off at your place I drive by Mt Rose and 395 everyday, I will dig through my radio stuff I recall having an old Kenwood 2M that needs a new home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom