HAM installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm set to take the HAM license exam in a couple of weeks and will be purchasing a Icom IC-2730A radio soon. I plan to mount an antenna on the passenger side of my 80-series stock front bumper (at least until I buy armor) but I was curious how folks route the coax into the cab to attach to the unit?

There are a couple of rubber grommets on the firewall that work. On the passenger side it is going to be a little more difficult as the blower unit is there. On the driver side the grommet has more access. The cable can be routed to the radio from there, plenty of room back and under the dashboard.

I have my antenna mounted on the front passenger bumper as well. Wire is passed through the grommet on the passenger side firewall just under the hood hinge. The small cabling used for antennas should pass through the very easily.

I came across @nakman antenna bracket that are secured using pre-existing fender bolts! Will route the coax through the firewall as discussed above.

thanks all!

When routing coax through the firewall I assume I can cut off this ‘nub’ in the grommet (pic attached) and fish the line through? Or is it recommended to just punch a tiny hole in the nub and squeeze it through?

61746CFF-5651-487F-A58C-8822B11733FD.jpeg

When routing coax through the firewall I assume I can cut off this ‘nub’ in the grommet (pic attached) and fish the line through? Or is it recommended to just punch a tiny hole in the nub and squeeze it through?

You can use that nub, as long as the grommet will stretch enough to get the connector through. If you're going to solder on the connector yourself after running just the coax through, you're golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom