Ham install question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone stacked their ham radio (Icom 208h or Yausu 7800) on top of their or below a single din radio. I currently have the factory stereo, but I have it's replacement standing by, but before I start the install, I wanted to check to see if it is a bad idea (for heat reasons). I know the hams put out a ton of heat, but can the cooling fan in the dash of the 80's handle extra heat or the radio itself handle the confinement of a dash mount?

Thanks,

Jack

A better question is can the radio (non-ham) handle the heat output of the ham radio?

I installed my Icom 706 in behind the cargo area trim panels and ran the separation cord out to the front. I have a remote speaker in the dash so I can hear it. That way a theif needs to trace wires to find the radio. Also it's not visible from the outside at all, all you can see is the separation cable on the tranny hump.

Well, the 80's have a cooling fan already installed in the dash for the radio, so that would help. Also I would probably mount the ham on top of the stereo, so that should help also. As everyone knows, space is always at a premium, so anything I can do to help that situation is a good thing. I just want to make sure that I'm not going to burn one or the other up.

Jack

If you could help it it would be best mounted solo.
It prolly wont be an issue , but if you get long winded about how cool your ride is on tx , it could do some damage.

ken

Jack,

The Icom 208H and the Yaesu 7800R are remote mountable...install the main unit in back or where ever; I think I saw someone post up they mounted it below the glove box. FYI: The 208H works a little better IMO because the mic jack doesn't come off the remote head unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom