Had my 99 flashed in order to make a new master key. All went great. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my 99 LC last week. I was aware it only had one key. I did not know that you have to have a master in order to program new keys. The one I had was a valet key. Time to do some home work. I read through many of the posts here on the forum. I learned that I did not have to be gouged by the dealer. They wanted $500 dollars for the keys and $700 for labor. They said i had to make two master and a valet. They also said that if my car had already had the one time free replacement ecu, I would have to pay $1700 for a new ecu.
I also learned from the forum that some lock smiths can flash the computer chip allowing you make a new master key. The posts refer to a lock smith in Arizona. I live in Los Angeles and thought some one in LA must be able to do this. I started calling lock smiths,most said they could not do it. Then I called Beverly Westside lock & key.
I spoke with Ronnie, he knew exactly what was required and had the programmer to do the job. I asked how much. He replied $560 for two master and one valet. He said he could be at my house in two hours. He arrive in 1.5 hours. First he removed the glove box and removed the ecu from behind it. This only took about 5 min. Next he took the ecu to his van and opened it up to get to the chip on the mother board. The chips on the circuit board are very small. He used a jewelers eye glass to verify the number on the chip. Now he attached the programmer to the actual chip. It actually piggy backs on the chip. Then he pressed the program button and bang it was done. He said see the green light on the programmer it is cleared. He put every thing back together. The whole process did not take more than 20 min. He took the new key that he supplied and cut them. Now he stuck them in the ignition one at a time. One master, the next master, and the valet. It was done. He said the ecu is expecting three keys to be programed, after that it stops being in program mode. All keys start the car and work great. His van was really set up for transponder keys of all types. He said that this is most of his business. So if any one in Los Angeles area needs keys or even a new master it might be worth giving him a call.

And one of Ronnie's friends will be by to steal your car tomorrow night. :flipoff2:

Kidding. That's a great outcome, but man I've got to think it's kinda of risky. What's a guy in a van going to do if he cooks your ECU?

Just put some salt and pepper and eat it!!:flipoff2:

Damn..he must be making good money at that rate..

$500 for 20 mins of labor, man I'm in the wrong business!!! :D

That's a good price; especially as some dealers up here in Canada charge double what the american ones do. It can be over 3 grand for the same work after taxes up here through our dealers...:mad:

Actually that price included 3 keys. That isn't too bad. I paid $35 for my Camry key for my spare with no remotes. Add in the other two key blanks plus the two remotes and I bet his cost that tips the scales at over $100. And then he had his investment in equipment. Still, after his equipment is paid for I bet he does pretty well. Imagine the fees he could collect at an auto auction or from the used car dealers even if he gives them a major discount.

I agree it was not cheap. Just way less expensive than the dealer. All the keys are still working great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom