HAC on a NonUSA Carb??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

beaufort-fj60 said:
rosco,

of the three vac line setups shown above, which one is most similar to the pic you posted of your carb/cut off

I would say the top pic which is GEN or ARL(australia) looks like it.
If you want some more pics or closeups not shown just ask. The vac lines are still connected except for the aircon
robs pics 006 (Medium).jpg
robs pics 005 (Small).jpg

man there is alot of room in there, working on the back of that engine must be easy. that's a rhd 60 right?

beaufort-fj60 said:
man there is alot of room in there, working on the back of that engine must be easy. ?

Yeah there is heaps of room,I cringe in horror everytime I see a NA spec engine bay:D

that's a rhd 60 right?

Nope its an FJ73 but mechanically and electrically identical to an aussie spec 60 70 and 75 series of the same year.

Here is my engine swap thread:D
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=57398

kevinmrowland said:
1985 FJ60
I have a NonUSA carb that has been serving me well. It does not have the air intake ports on the top of the carb for an HAC system.
The only Vacuum ports are down near the base (3) all with slightly different vacuum personalities.
Can this be done?
Short answer:
No.

Long answer:
Your non-US carb has all the same vacuum ports as a US carb, with the exception of the HAC ports. The HAC is in the air horn, boosters and throttle body. Swapping the HAC parts onto the non-US carb would only leave the non-US main body casting. That would be pointless, since the body casting is the same between the two carbs.

The NonUS carb does appear to have the circuits for the HAC air intake but the ports seem to be plugged?
Can these plugs be knocked out to insert ports?
No, they can't be knocked out. The air horn could be drilled in 4 places and spotfaced and then press in 2 brass fittings.

Or you could get the air horn off a US carb.

The throttle boddy could be drilled 2x, and the brass fitting w/ the HAC orifice could be pulled out of a US carb base and pressed in the hole.

Or you could use the T-body from a US carb.

As a side note, still NonUS carb related, the fuel cut solenoid may need replacement (consistent hesitation and about 1,600 RPM) The Non USA has only one wire on its solenoid (the US have 2 wires) does any one have a PN or source for this?
The solenoid for 75-78 USA 2F carb will be the one wire type.

Thank You!!!

I appreciate the info very much. I would rather have the correct system in operation but my Cruiser was built out of several incomplete, non operational systems. I would have had to purchase EVERYTHING, including a new carb, to make it work so instead I just invested in a nonUSA carb. some problems fixed, some created. :rolleyes:

FJ40Jim,
US throttle body ports are;
Advancer
Fuel Cut
EGR R port
HAC slow port
Would your statement mean that nonUS carbs have all those same ports in the same locations except the "HAC slow port"?
I ask because I have not been able to find a labeled diagram of NonUS ports.
What would the function of the "EGR R Port" be on a nonUS carb?
Would the "Fuel Cut Port" act the same way on both carbs? If that is the case I will wire the two wire solenoid to a vacuum switch.
And is the "Advancer Port" in the same location?

Why doesn’t my NonUS carb have a vapor return line when other nonUS carbs do?

So now that I know that I can't install the HAC on my carb, what about this idea;
Could I establish a switched vacuum line to the outer advancer diaphragm on my distributor that I could flip on at higher altitude?
The carb would not get any more air but the timing would advance.
Would the advance be successful performance wise if the carb were not getting more air?
Where would the appropriate place to draw vacuum for this be?
Would the vacuum have to be greater than the "Advancer Port" vacuum, or would the two diaphragms work in conjunction to give more advance?
The Vacuum switch could even be variable to give varying degrees of advance for different altitudes.
What do you guys think? Am I off my rocker?

Rosco, Can I buy your old carb? It has a vapor return port.

Thanks,
Kevin R.

kevinmrowland said:
Rosco, Can I buy your old carb? It has a vapor return port.

Thanks,
Kevin R.

Yep:grinpimp: I have it advertised locally for $120 AUD. It was rebuilt by a proffessional shop about 2years ago and has only done 20000klms since then.
The guy who rebuilt it is a cruiser owner:D I think he said it was tested for 4 gases. Also had a new diapragm fitted
It runs superb
I will get a freight price Mon

I dont know if it has a vapour return port:confused:

these

i've these shown on a few different things, but would like to see them called out

Last edited:
kevinmrowland said:
So now that I know that I can't install the HAC on my carb, what about this idea;
Could I establish a switched vacuum line to the outer advancer diaphragm on my distributor that I could flip on at higher altitude?
The carb would not get any more air but the timing would advance.
Would the advance be successful performance wise if the carb were not getting more air?
Would the vacuum have to be greater than the "Advancer Port" vacuum, or would the two diaphragms work in conjunction to give more advance?
The Vacuum switch could even be variable to give varying degrees of advance for different altitudes.
Kevin R.

I just had a better Idea.
I could just run a vacuum line into the cab, hook it up to a small regulator in the dash and adjust alltitude advance by way of the secondary diaphram that way?
I could even mark out alltitude settings on the regulator so it would look cool.

Still wondering if the principle of this would work though?

kevinmrowland said:
FJ40Jim,
US throttle body ports are;
Advancer
Fuel Cut
EGR R port
HAC slow port
Would your statement mean that nonUS carbs have all those same ports in the same locations except the "HAC slow port"?
Yes, if they have the same ports.

I ask because I have not been able to find a labeled diagram of NonUS ports.
What would the function of the "EGR R Port" be on a nonUS carb?
Depends on the non-US market. Might be EGR, or purge or TP or....

Would the "Fuel Cut Port" act the same way on both carbs?
Ports 5, 13, 14 are the same for all markets. IOW, if port 14 is drilled, it has the same vac output.

If that is the case I will wire the two wire solenoid to a vacuum switch.
The ICS gets ground signal from engine computer, based on input from vac switch and tach.

And is the "Advancer Port" in the same location?
Yes.

Why doesn’t my NonUS carb have a vapor return line when other nonUS carbs do?
Some markets require a vapor canister, some don't. :doh:

Could I establish a switched vacuum line to the outer advancer diaphragm on my distributor that I could flip on at higher altitude? The carb would not get any more air but the timing would advance.
You're looney. :eek:
If the stock HAC is too simple, then just install an electronic ignition system w/ a cockpit adjustable advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom