H55f poping out of 5th gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi
I am having issues with my h55f behind a 3b diesel poping out of 5th gear.
Long stroy short i had this issue 3 years and i rebuild the transmission with new bearings and the problem went away until it reappear ed a few months back .
So i took the box out and replaced all the 5th gear compontes besides the shift firk and the problem is still there if not worse. Every time you let go of the accelerator it will pop out .

It also has new 5th detent spring and didnt make any difference. When i took the box apart i measured tthe lay shaft end float to .8mm which was too much so i thought tgisbwas the issue and i rectified it wby installing a thivker snap washer on the front bearing and removing the front bearing housing gasket and using rtv.

This brought the endfloat to 0.35mm which i thought was ok and the play was coming from the front bearing which is brand new and normal i assume.
If anyone has any insight please pet me know as this is b3come a realy issue i cant figure out

When my HJ61 was doing it, it was the detente spring. I could keep it in 5th with a bungy cord.
Is 3.5mm ok by the FSM? It just sounds a lot.

The final end float is 0.35mm not 3.5mm i think thats the best you can get and the fsm dosnt mention any end flaot specs on the laydhaft that i can see.

If i hold thr lever with my hand even lightly it wont pop out so maybe i just need a heavier detent spring?

You could try shimming it with washers to up the preload.

I think I read in an old post about heating up the selector fork with an oxy torch and bending it slightly to fix popping out of 5th. That's pretty drastic though.

My h55f pops out of 1st sometimes when engine braking off road, and when changing up from 4th to 5th feels like it's barely staying in 4th. I replaced the 1st/2nd detent and it made no difference, I plan to try shimming with washers if I ever get round to pulling the top cover again.

When you replaced the 5th gear assembly did you upgrade the hub to the later re-designed HZJ75 stuff? I dont have photos, but I recently had the old VS new on my bench and they are different, cured my 5th gear problem.

Annotation 2020-09-12 204040.png

What's the matter with the poor performance of the H55F?
I saw the same problem in France too, with the 5spd gearboxes behind the 3B; my friend was the 1st and very meticulous owner of his BJ46...
I wonder, if the problem is so difficult to fix, is it worthwhile to look for a H55F (new or used), or just to keep the indestuctible H41 4spd?

======
1983 BJ45 PickUp, factory 4spd, resto-project

I replaced it with this part number 33318-60010 even if it wasnt uograded part i woukd think the original part should work if new

When you replaced the 5th gear assembly did you upgrade the hub to the later re-designed HZJ75 stuff? I dont have photos, but I recently had the old VS new on my bench and they are different, cured my 5th gear problem.

View attachment 2433130
What is the difference?

I think this is the upgraded part 33336-60010 . Only the upgraded part is available now from what I can see. I remember someone saying back in the early 90s the 5sp problem had been fixed.
It seems to appear in the parts diagram in 1990 but can be fitted to older gearboxes. It was probably introduced with the 1HZ.

I think this is the upgraded part 33336-60010 . Only the upgraded part is available now from what I can see. I remember someone saying back in the early 90s the 5sp problem had been fixed.
It seems to appear in the parts diagram in 1990 but can be fitted to older gearboxes. It was probably introduced with the 1HZ.
The seller tells me that it will not fit earlier gearboxes.

The seller tells me that it will not fit earlier gearboxes.

Ok. THe parts epc I was using kept offering that number when I put the old number in which I thought suggested this was an upgraded part that could be retro fitted to 84-90 gearboxes.

Terrain Tamer are suggesting it fits the old and newer H55F 82-84 , 84-90 and 90- .
When I put the old number 33318-60010 into TT parts page nothing comes up.

Last edited:
Probably does help much since i do not have the part numbers of the gear, but I have a 40 series box, built to become a 70 series box with various new parts without issue. Main issues I had was the main case, bearings and input shaft were different. I did not have problems at the 5th gear end of the box.

I would be very surprised if the was any change in the 5th gear end of the counter shaft components from 87 on.
TT seems to think there is no upgraded parts.

Just had a thought.
If you could take a few thou off the front face of the 5th gear engagement dog on the end of the counter shaft.
That should cure the problem.
Could easily be done in a lathe.

TT seems to think there is no upgraded parts.
No, they just show one part number.
bj70cruzer used this one 33318-60010 which doesnt seem to be available now.

33318-60010 seems to be available via partsouq and amayama and dosnt suggest any newer part?

@bj70cruzer, did you ever figure out a solution? I have a similar issue and would like to find a fix.

Thanks
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom