GX470 TCO = Total Cost of Ownership...So Far (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was going to do a YouTube video on this, but I realize I don't quite have the following like all those good looking young YouTube people! LOL. Also, I didn't feel like doing a PowerPoint presentation and talking over all the costs I've incurred...that's so old school. And I don't have the desire nor fancy video editing skills to do a "professional" quality video.

So, you gonna get this post on my 2003 GX470....maybe others can share their experiences with costs. Maybe mine are unique to me and my decisions I made on repairs, maintenance, essential upgrades, optional upgrades, etc.

First, let's start with the high level overview. I broke down my costs into several categories and calculated the percentage spent outside the purchase price.

Maintenance$ 3,483.9822.4%
Repairs$ 3,978.9525.6%
Essential Upgrades$ 5,062.7932.5%
Optional Upgrades$ 3,028.6319.5%
Subtotal$ 15,554.35
Purchase Price$ 8,000.00
Total$ 23,554.35

Second, lets see how these costs were year over year (not including purchase price in early 2017):
2017$ 6,029.00
2018$ 3,331.39
2019$ 1,613.32
2020$ 174.38
2021$ 4,506.26

What's included in each category:

Maintenance includes: Fluid changes; Brakes; Tires; Battery; Spark plugs
Repairs: Cooling system; alternator; catalytic converters; O2 sensors; belt tensioner; LCAs; Windshield replacement; battery cables; speakers;
Essential Upgrades: Suspension; Armor; Diff upgrades; Recovery; includes experiments with OME rear suspension and unused transfer case skid plate
Optional = Seat leather replacement; Gobi ladder/accessories; Roof rack crossbars oem; Tie down points for cargo straps; 2009 rear clear lenses; window trim/molding; other accessories and parts

So, what drove my repair costs? There were 3 big items that killed my repair costs. $1200 to replace both cats with new oem ones; $1000 to replace the cooling system (radiator, thermostat, WP, TB, cap, hoses, coolant, drive belt); and $700 for new oem LCAs whose bushings were bad. These are about 70% of my repair costs. Also, some repairs could have been maintenance items like I replaced the alternator as preventive maintenance, but put the cost in repairs. Same for the water pump and timing belt. The PO had a non-Aisin WP and TB, so they got changed when I had to replace the leaking radiator.

In the maintenance section, getting new Nitto Ridge Grappler tires to replace my worn out 285/70R17 BFG KO2s set me back a $1100 balanced, aligned, taxed, shipped. Other than that...doing the brakes/rotors twice, fluid changes, two batteries, and spark plugs. Some of this maintenance happened when I first bought in 2017 and then 5 years later having to repeat some of these normal wear and tear items. Brakes end up adding up more than you think when the rotors have to be replaced as well.

So, if you lump repairs and maintenance into one category, I'm at $7500 over 5 years. You might not get the same failures (LCAs, Cats), so you'll save some money over what I spent.

Then there are the essential upgrades (like Bilstein coilovers, ICON rear shocks, Dobinson dual rate rear coils, Proforge rear sway bar end links, rock sliders, skids plates, recovery points, recovery gear, etc.). The optional upgrades like replacing the ripped front seat's leather, replacing the rear clear lenses, replacing the window trim/molding, adding a Gobi ladder, getting ladder mount accessories, and adding a few accessories here and there. And I still don't have my 3-gal Rotopax fuel can...waiting for a sale (LOL).

In the end, it all adds up. And that's my story. The good thing is that the GX470 appears to be in tip top shape as of now.

Last edited:
Great topic. Thanks for sharing.

$23.5K all-in for a built, maintained 4x4 is a bargain when you compare it to the cost of a new TRD OR T4R, Jeep, or Bronco, and the fact that any new vehicle is more expensive to insure and also has non-zero maintenance costs.

I would love to reply with my ownership/upgrade costs, but am afraid my wife will divorce me if she learns of the total tally of money I've put into upgrading/maintaining my GX :). The original plan for the vehicle was to get one with 200K for $8K or so, do cheap upgrades, and beat it hard....needless to say it kind of morphed into something else. I do have a binder full of all receipts (mainly to document things in case I ever sell it). I'll think about it for a few days and decide if I want to risk my marriage by going down that rabbit hole (joking of course :)).

I got right about 21.8K in mine within 4 years. That is including purchase price. Never track oil change cost. All parts included and paying zero labor. 95% of the parts are bought at discounted price, some are significant.
Some highlights:
1. 4.3 gear swap with rear elocker
2. Hidden winch with smittybilt H20 10K
3. Full skid plate except fuel tank
4. Rock slider.
5. 255 80 17 tires on stock wheels
6. Non nav conversion with aliexpress android 9"
7. Full timing belt change with fan clutch, bracket and new radiator.
8. 3" lift and SPC UCA and superpro offset LCA bushing.
9. Some extra lighting and switch panel

The drawback to most people is the vehicle still looks totally stock beside bigger tire and 3" lift.

Nice you got the winch and locked rear. My cats repair could of paid for at least the hidden winch.

Nice you got the winch and locked rear. My cats repair could of paid for at least the hidden winch.
$1200 buy me the regear and rear locker plus some. I only pay $1100 total.
My hidden winch are much less. Got the winch for $363 with ebay 20% off plus $50 Smittybilt rebate. The bracket are home made from universal winch plate I had laying around.

If I try to replicate this in today's market I would easily spend $30-35K. The GX was way less than comparable 4runner at that time.

Having spare car helps as I can afford extended downtime to work on it.

$1200 buy me the regear and rear locker plus some. I only pay $1100 total.
My hidden winch are much less. Got the winch for $363 with ebay 20% off plus $50 Smittybilt rebate. The bracket are home made from universal winch plate I had laying around.

If I try to replicate this in today's market I would easily spend $30-35K. The GX was way less than comparable 4runner at that time.

Having spare car helps as I can afford extended downtime to work on it.
Man…my mind wanders when you meantion regear and locker on the gx470. @Jstawgn did your rear locker and regear help with the issue of the weak 8” diff on the gx470?

Just wondering because I would like to kill 3 birds (regear, locker, beefier) with one stone when the time comes.

Last edited:
$23.5K all-in for a built, maintained 4x4 is a bargain when you compare it to the cost of a new TRD OR T4R, Jeep, or Bronco, and the fact that any new vehicle is more expensive to insure and also has non-zero maintenance costs.

I would love to reply with my ownership/upgrade costs, but am afraid my wife will divorce me if she learns of the total tally of money I've put into upgrading/maintaining my GX :). The original plan for the vehicle was to get one with 200K for $8K or so, do cheap upgrades, and beat it hard....needless to say it kind of morphed into something else. I do have a binder full of all receipts (mainly to document things in case I ever sell it). I'll think about it for a few days and decide if I want to risk my marriage by going down that rabbit hole (joking of course :)).
Yeah I was surprised how things added up over the years. I was just tracking everything in a spreadsheet and this week decided to categorize the costs.

I guess I was trying to see how much was essential to do solo overlanding versus how much was unnecessary/optional/cosmetic. I knew the running total, but didn’t know how much was optional for me.

And you are right about new rigs. I have some friends that bought brand new 2020 4Runner TRD Pro and still added added King shocks, new wheels, prinsu rack, rock sliders, etc. And I’m guessing their build is around $70k incl selling some of the parts they took off, and they still want more like a RTT and bumpers.

Another bought a 2021 4Runner TRD Off-road last month and paid around $70k with factory extras due to the rise in new car prices. They couldn’t even get the trd pro because of supply and demand issues.

So, it’s cheaper to build an old reliable rig, but you have to be aware that repairs/maintenance can add up and eat into your upgrades budget.

When funds are limited, it’s sometimes good to focus on the essential and postpone the optional.

I got right about 21.8K in mine within 4 years. That is including purchase price. Never track oil change cost. All parts included and paying zero labor. 95% of the parts are bought at discounted price, some are significant.
Some highlights:
1. 4.3 gear swap with rear elocker
2. Hidden winch with smittybilt H20 10K
3. Full skid plate except fuel tank
4. Rock slider.
5. 255 80 17 tires on stock wheels
6. Non nav conversion with aliexpress android 9"
7. Full timing belt change with fan clutch, bracket and new radiator.
8. 3" lift and SPC UCA and superpro offset LCA bushing.
9. Some extra lighting and switch panel

The drawback to most people is the vehicle still looks totally stock beside bigger tire and 3" lift.
Two things. I was looking for your build thread and I didn’t see one. You have done some critical upgrades that people could learn/benefit from reading the details. Also, you’ve done it yourself at very good prices.

Second, I like your style of focusing on capability rather than looks. I prefer the stockish look with under the hood upgrades like the rear locker, improved suspension travel to keep the tires planted on the ground as much as possible, bigger tires (although I’m leaning to skinnier 33x10.5 than what I have now), and hidden winch.

Anyways, different strokes for different folks.

So, it’s cheaper to build an old reliable rig, but you have to be aware that repairs/maintenance can add up and eat into your upgrades budget.

When funds are limited, it’s sometimes good to focus on the essential and postpone the optional.
Probably every upgrade to my GX I also would have done to a new T4R, although things like suspension/wheels would have waited until the OEM stuff was worn out. But, they would have happened eventually, and within the first 50K of ownership for sure. I also really like having a V8 and like the headroom of the GX. I find the T4R to be cramped with worse visibility (due to the shorter roof/windows) and more road noise than the GX (presumably due to less insulation).

Having an old GX is not terribly expensive if you can wrench yourself. I've done all of my wrenching myself (with the exception of things like alignments and tire mounting), which has undoubtedly saved thousands of dollars. Wrenching is one of my hobbies and I have the tools and a place to work on it.

I'll pull a spreadsheet together as well. I'm curious at this point, but betting I've but at least $10K in my $10K GX.

I don't think I've had mine long enough to post in here, but here it is so far...

I was originally looking for a Taco, but realized that SUVs are more practical for me. So, I switched my search to T4Rs, but the prices are ridiculous, so I switched again to the GX. I was contemplating getting a stock one and building it myself, or getting one that was already built and getting to use it the way I wanted right away. If I had found a stock one now, it would cost more and take me maybe ~1.5+ years to build it to what I already have sitting in my driveway.

2006 GX
$23k - Purchase of vehicle (2021)
$190 - Ironman 4x4 awning (2019 sale price, and was on my last vehicle)
$5 - Windshield wipers (Pep Boys is going out of business so everything is 70% off)
$12 - Aux/power cord for my iPhone

I guess I was trying to see how much was essential to do solo overlanding versus how much was unnecessary/optional/cosmetic. I knew the running total, but didn’t know how much was optional for me.
It could be argued that ~90% of what "overlanding" has become is unnecessary, optional, and cosmetic. Believe me, I love all of the products that are out there, but almost none of it is essential. Any reliable 2wd with l/s or locker or a stock 4x4 can get you most places you want to go. No custom part is needed or essential to go camping. Now if you're going off-roading and trying to find obstacles to conquer on certain trails, that's different, and some aftermarket parts are beneficial.

Wow, buying built can be worthwhile! You got an awesome deal.

Man…my mind wanders when you meantion regear and locker on the gx470. @Jstawgn did your rear locker and regear help with the issue of the weak 8” diff on the gx470?

Just wondering because I would like to kill 3 birds (regear, locker, beefier) with one stone when the time comes.
I don't have a build thread but I did post how I did the regear.
The regear help a bit but still not as strong as bigger axle. I don't have problems yet with my setup. Did install solid pinion spacer and heavy bearing preload.

An the hidden winch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom