Gx470 front brake calipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Changed out my front rotors and pads yesterday. I noticed that the inside lower brake caliper piston on both sides will not push in as far as the other three pistons. Is this a know problem? Should I simply replace the calipers? If so, what caliper do you guys recommend?

Changed out my front rotors and pads yesterday. I noticed that the inside lower brake caliper piston on both sides will not push in as far as the other three pistons. Is this a know problem? Should I simply replace the calipers? If so, what caliper do you guys recommend?

ha! I just now posted a similar request for feedback about new/remanufactured calipers.

yes, it is my understanding that the gx470 brakes suffer from stuck caliper pistons that won’t retract fully.

it already ruined a couple of brand new, expensive rotors for me.

ha! I just now posted a similar request for feedback about new/remanufactured calipers.

yes, it is my understanding that the gx470 brakes suffer from stuck caliper pistons that won’t retract fully.

it already ruined a couple of brand new, expensive rotors for me.
Thanks mate...bummer on your new rotors.
I figured the calipers were bad. I have a new set on order.

@GX4ever and @mstrsltr

You can actually buy a caliper rebuild kit for the front and rear calipers. That is what I did. In rebuilding, I found out that one of my front calipers had a frozen piston. I could not get it to move at all, so I had to buy a new caliper. Toyota actually sells a "remanufactured" caliper. It is a lot cheaper than buying a brand new one. Hope that helps.

@GX4ever and @mstrsltr

You can actually buy a caliper rebuild kit for the front and rear calipers. That is what I did. In rebuilding, I found out that one of my front calipers had a frozen piston. I could not get it to move at all, so I had to buy a new caliper. Toyota actually sells a "remanufactured" caliper. It is a lot cheaper than buying a brand new one. Hope that helps.
Yeah, I ended up buying remanufactured calipers and they work GREAT!

I posted this in another thread. Looking to buy a setup asap. Regarding the calipers, should I go with a junkyard set of oem calipers $150 or so (provided they check out) or lexus rebuilds from the dealer go with the worldpac/auto zone/oriellys Rebuilds route? I know some of the rebuild brands are to be avoided. I believe i’m gonna go with akebono pads and rotors. Whats the best setup guys?

Why did you go with that setup vs a oem junkyard set or Lexus rebuilds?
They look great! The price was great. PowerStop reviews are awesome. And most Powerstop calipers are rebuilds anyway, very likely from Lexus.

I ended up going with a wrecking yard set of calipers off a 2010-13 4runner and a set of akebono rotors and pads and a fresh fluid change. Hopefully this setup does me right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom