GX470 Dash Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been in the market for a GX470 and have learned about the dash issues. To my knowledge, the replacement dashes given under warranty look exactly the same at the original ones. But in my search I have found 2 rigs for sale in california that have these leather stitched dashes. Photos provided from a green 2008 and I also saw this dash a blue 2003.

Was this dash apart of some factory option/ trim level, or is this a custom job done by a interior shop?
Sorry if formatting is weird, this is my first post

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 12.06.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 12.06.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 12.06.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 12.06.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 12.06.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 12.06.31 PM.png

Never seen those before, and they look great, but how is that passenger dash airbag supposed to deploy? I saw other overlays when shopping for my GX, like posted below, that had a cutout for the airbag to safely deploy in the case of an accident:

F148542738.jpg

Following. Love these? Must be a custom deal?

After talking with a friend who works at a Lexus dealer, I have been told that these were never made by Lexus. I also don’t think they are stuck on over the old dash. It seems to flush and I cant find any overlays with the same stiching. I am assuming that they are a custom job from an interior shop. I do find it strange that I have seen 2 with the same pattern though.

Both were in California... And right across the border are some of the best and cheapest interior shops you can find. Just the type of shops who would cover over an airbag without a care in the world.

When we were looking for our gx, we final found one that wasn't rusted out underneath and/or didn't smell like smoke, but the dash was tore up - not just cracked. That was a deal breaker for my wife, but atleast the dealership offered to replace it and a few other things.

But, once they realize how much an oem dash was and the labor, they negotiated to have their detailer wrap the dash. They still spent more than anticipated...good for us... Looks similar to the pictures above. The quality is great and looks stock.
20210626_170438.jpg
123_1.jpeg

It appears some dealers may sell the OEM dash for around $600, although shipping is not cheap. I'm just going to go the OEM route when I do mine. It's the last thing that I'll upgrade on the GX...a lift and lockers are more important than looking at a few cracks.

Someone really needs to come up with a better aftermarket dash option though. The Coverlay gets mixed reviews and the OEM dash labor indeed appears to be a bear.

Someone really needs to come up with a better aftermarket dash option though. The Coverlay gets mixed reviews and the OEM dash labor indeed appears to be a bear.

^ This.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom