GX460 Options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All - I'm looking to buy a moderately-used GX460 (2016 or newer, with up to 60k miles).

A few questions regarding available trims and options:
  • Premium is the mid tier trim, correct? Does it offer anything of substance (mechanical parts) over the base version?
  • 2016-2022 vs 2023+ any major differences other than Apple Car Play and exterior/interior design?
  • Trailer hitch - seems hard to find on any GX. Is this an easy after-market install?
  • External transmission cooler - which trims come with this option? And can this be installed via after-market?
  • Fuel tank skid plate - I've seen the half skid plates under most GX460's that I've looked at. Is there an option for a full-length skid plate? If so what is the part # or package which needs to be ordered.
  • KDSS - I've seen it advertised in the GX460 brochure, but I've yet to see a listing which explicitly calls out that feature. Is this available by default for all GX460's (excluding the Luxury trim with the adjustable ride suspension)?
  • Price - I'm seeing ~$33k-36k for moderately-used (50k-60k mileage) GX 460's (2016+) on AutoTrader. Anyone on here who has recently bought a GX460? And if so, does my indicated price range align?
  • Lastly, any major repair/wear items that I should be aware of? I'm very familiar with the underlying Prado platform (I've driven/owned 5th gen 4runners), though I have little exposure to the 6 speed and 4.6l v8 specific to the GX.

Last edited:
  1. Premium is the mid tier trim, correct? Does it offer anything of substance (mechanical parts) over the base version?
  2. 2016-2022 vs 2023+ any major differences other than Apple Car Play and exterior/interior design?
  3. Trailer hitch - seems hard to find on any GX. Is this an easy after-market install?
  4. External transmission cooler - which trims come with this option? And can this be installed via after-market?
  5. Fuel tank skid plate - I've seen the half skid plates under most GX460's that I've looked at. Is there an option for a full-length skid plate? If so what is the part # or package which needs to be ordered.
  6. KDSS - I've seen it advertised in the GX460 brochure, but I've yet to see a listing which explicitly calls out that feature. Is this available by default for all GX460's (excluding the Luxury trim with the adjustable ride suspension)?
  7. Price - I'm seeing ~$33k-36k for moderately-used (50k-60k mileage) GX 460's (2016+) on AutoTrader. Anyone on here who has recently bought a GX460? And if so, does my indicated price range align?
  8. Lastly, any major repair/wear items that I should be aware of? I'm very familiar with the underlying Prado platform (I've driven/owned 5th gen 4runners), though I have little exposure to the 6 speed and 4.6l v8 specific to the GX.
  1. You should find anything/everything offered for almost every year. GX 460 Manuals
  2. The only big major difference that I've heard about is the infotainment screen and center console/stack is not different, meaning I think better. Maybe some cosmetic trim. Higher price tag!
  3. Regarding trailer hitch, do you plan on adding any armor? Like bumpers, skids, rock sliders, etc.? Aftermarket bumpers will have hitch options.
  4. Refer to answer #1
  5. Refer to answers #1, #3
  6. KDSS is a standard GX feature and does not interfere with any suspension upgrades.
  7. Also check Cargurus.com
  8. The GX drive train is pretty rock solid. There are on occasion issues with intake valley leaks. The radiator has a plastic part that can crack and maybe some other minor things others will bring up. But in general, the V8 and tranny are very strong, good for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Last edited:
Only comment I can make is re: premium and 21 vs 23.

We struggled to find a used one with out the “captains chairs” 2nd row. IMHO, they add no value and look like a downgrade from the 60/40. So that eliminated a lot of vehicles for us.

Boss ordered a 2023 (but ended up with a 7k mile 2021). Decided she didn’t like the changes to the dash/center console. And I agree. While CarPlay would have been nice compared to the ~2012 tech of the previous infotainment generation, the rest of the changes made no sense…

Last edited:
Thanks all for the feedback - exactly what I was looking for.

• 2016-2022 vs 2023+ any major differences other than Apple Car Play and exterior/interior design?

Infotainment system changed in '22+. One change other than Apple CarPlay was that some A/C controls were moved to physical buttons. As someone with a '21, I really really really wish I had that. The old infotainment system is slow and just feels terrible.

'22+
new-2023-lexus-gx-gx460luxury4wd-8820-21829262-22-640.jpg

'11(?)-'21
2021_lexus_gx_tempcontrol.jpg

Reactions: r2m
Only comment I can make is re: premium and 21 vs 23.

We struggled to find a used one with out the “captains chairs” 2nd row. IMHO, they add no value and look like a downgrade from the 60/40. So that eliminated a lot of vehicles for us.

Boss ordered a 2023 (but ended up with a 7k mile 2021). Decided she didn’t like the changes to the dash/center console. And I agree. While CarPlay would have been nice compared to the ~2012 tech of the previous infotainment generation, the rest of the changes made no sense…
Agreed, Carplay is nice, and blower motor buttons are nice. But I actually also prefer the older layout, it makes more sense to me.

Reactions: bkg
Hi All - I'm looking to buy a moderately-used GX460 (2016 or newer, with up to 60k miles).

• Premium is the mid tier trim, correct? Does it offer anything of substance (mechanical parts) over the base version?
  • Trailer hitch - seems hard to find on any GX. Is this an easy after-market install?
  • External transmission cooler - which trims come with this option? And can this be installed via after-market?
  • Fuel tank skid plate - I've seen the half skid plates under most GX460's that I've looked at. Is there an option for a full-length skid plate? If so what is the part # or package which needs to be ordered.
  • KDSS - I've seen it advertised in the GX460 brochure, but I've yet to see a listing which explicitly calls out that feature. Is this available by default for all GX460's (excluding the Luxury trim with the adjustable ride suspension)?
  • Price - I'm seeing ~$33k-36k for moderately-used (50k-60k mileage) GX 460's (2016+) on AutoTrader. Anyone on here who has recently bought a GX460? And if so, does my indicated price range align?
  • Lastly, any major repair/wear items that I should be aware of? I'm very familiar with the underlying Prado platform (I've driven/owned 5th gen 4runners), though I have little exposure to the 6 speed and 4.6l v8 specific to the
  • Hi All - I'm looking to buy a moderately-used GX460 (2016 or newer, with up to 60k miles).

• Lastly, any major repair/wear items that I should be aware of? I'm very familiar with the underlying Prado platform (I've driven/owned 5th gen 4runners), though I have little exposure to the 6 speed and 4.6l v8 specific to the GX.
While it seems that the factory hitch for the 460 is discontinued (PT228-60140) there is another factory hitch (PT228-60141) which I just installed this week on my 2014 which is a perfect fit.

The trans oil cooler and full length gas tank skid might be on the new facellift models with the off road package but they're not on the older ones (for which there was no off road package in the US). All have KDSS.

If you want to add Crawl Control or Multi Terrain Select, last I looked no one's figured out how to do that on the new models.

Make an account on lexusdrivers.com and "add" a prospective GX VIN to your garage. Then you can look at all the dealer service records. It's much more complete and detailed than carfax. Be sure to take them out of your garage when you're done so the person who does buy them can use it. When I was searching last year only one of the 12 or so GXes I did this for had already been claimed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom