GX460 Lift Comparison/Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having trouble finding good comparisons and reviews of GX460 lift options. If there is a way to compile info on costs, performance, ride quality, issues, tire size, Pros, Cons, etc, it would be hugely helpful. I am currently shopping for a 10-13 GX with plans to do a mild build and am struggling with which lift is the best for my application and for the money (Toytec, Icon, Dobinsons, Ironman, OME, etc). Sorry if this already exists, I did multiple searches and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thx,
Jason

Dobinson MRR all the way. It rides better than stock. I don't regret my decision and did quite a bit of research on this subject.

-HitchCrack

Dobinson MRR all the way. It rides better than stock. I don't regret my decision and did quite a bit of research on this subject.

-HitchCrack
Thanks HitchCrack. I was reading through your build last night. Really nicely done. Who did you order through? Most of what I've found for Dobinsons is direct from AUS.

Thanks HitchCrack. I was reading through your build last night. Really nicely done. Who did you order through? Most of what I've found for Dobinsons is direct from AUS.

I also purchased the Dobinsons MRR. Best choice for the money. Go through Kyle Fogle at Treaty Oak Offroad (Contact). He is an authorized Dobinsons distributor and has sold all of the Dobinsons setups for GX models I am aware of and knows what he is doing. Although I have had a few hiccups with my setup (as indicated in my build thread), I still really like the product and Kyle's customer service is second-to-none.

Some benefits of the Dobinsons setup include different spring heights to account for KDSS lean, customizable spring rates based on weight considerations, exceptional ride quality, and best bang-for-your-buck out there.

Negatives for Dobinsons include the ridiculously long reservoir lines, potential for shock rod to unscrew/disconnect from mount (see my recent post on this), 2.3" (rather than 2.5") shock body size, and lack of option for adjustable shocks. **Edit - The new generation of Dobinsons MRR shocks with the Aluminum reservoirs have shorter reservoir lines and are much more manageable to install.**

Most of what Kyle sells will be available stateside, and if it is not currently in stock they can get it to you pretty quickly.

Last edited:
I see a kit for 470/460s from Dobinson's there, is the suspension the same, the kit for $970 or so?

I see a kit for 470/460s from Dobinson's there, is the suspension the same, the kit for $970 or so?

I would reach out to Kyle Fogle with Treaty Oak, he will discuss your situation and set you up with the right shocks and springs depending on your use. He knows the GX / 150 platform very well. If you are on facebook message his page and he will reach out to you.

-HitchCrack

Cool thanks man, not buying now sadly but doing homework. I’ll engage him in a conversation though and find out! Thanks for the heads up

Picking up a well maintained 13 GX this week for a project. I am wanting to order a lift pretty quickly but am suffering analysis paralysis. I appreciate your recommendations on Dobinson's (and am supposed to talk to Kyle this week), but don't love the front reservoir location. I've also read some really good stuff on the Ironman FCP and am curious about the Toytec Boss 2.5. Ive read some good write ups on the Dobinsons and Ironman. Anyone running Boss 2.5 on a 460? Anyone driven multiple set ups and can provide a comparison? I'm hoping this project will be a decent daily driver, so I'm looking for a setup that provides good ride and handling, with enough clearance for 275 or 285 17s. Any opinions are appreciated.

I run the Icon 2.5 Extended Travel steup. I have a buddy that has ran multiple set ups (on his 2010 4Runner) and steered me away from Toytec, Bikstein, etc..... Said spend the money up front for quality on road and quality off-road. The 3 he recommended were Icon, Fox, Kings. Fox and King were a little pricey for my blood so I settled on The Icon. I run the 2.5 Coilovers Ext Travel With Icon UCA,s up front. Then Icon 2.5 Ext Travel shocks with MetalTech Heavy Springs. I have been recently playing with the preload and my alignment to find the sweet spot for on road driving since I still travel in mine and the wife still drives it regularly but also to give the best off-road ride while were out having fun on trails. I have been blown away with not only the capabilities but the adjustability. It’s super easy and the change in ride quality is crazy for what exactly your wanting or what you do more of. Less preload was soft on road but bouncy off-road. More preload Is stiff on road and soft off-road. Which is how I run it. It stops the body roll completely and nose dive at heavy brake. I have been extremely happy and pleased with the purchase. Hope this helps. I usually don’t add my two cents to these things but figured I might could add some help from the Icon side of things. Let me know if I can answer anything else for you.

Appreciate the feedback Appleby193. The Icon setups look ideal, but anything north of the Stage 2 is probably well outside my lift budget. I am hoping to be all in with UCAs for under $2500 (pre install) give or take.

Appreciate the feedback Appleby193. The Icon setups look ideal, but anything north of the Stage 2 is probably well outside my lift budget. I am hoping to be all in with UCAs for under $2500 (pre install) give or take.

I definitely understand being on a budget. I was in the same boat. One thing that saved me a lot though is we did the install ourselves. Honelsty took us about 8 hours in a driveway on a Saturday. Very easy stuff and I’m not really that mechanically inclined.

I think you could get away with 2500$ for an Icon set up.

I was around 2300 for shocks, coils, UCAs, and coilovers. I sourced everything separate though from multiple websites to get the best deal possible. Trying to stretch as much out of each dollar I could.

Old Man Emu BP-51 Suspension Kit for 2010+ Toyota 4Runner
Free UCA makes this very affordable.

Internal bypass are really awesome. It's like having multiple stage shock and can be adjusted to soft while also preventing harsh bump when the suspension bottoms out.

Yes it's only 2" bore but bigger does not always means better. I would take 2" internal bypass than 2.5 non bypass any day.

Old Man Emu BP-51 Suspension Kit for 2010+ Toyota 4Runner
Free UCA makes this very affordable.

Internal bypass are really awesome. It's like having multiple stage shock and can be adjusted to soft while also preventing harsh bump when the suspension bottoms out.

Yes it's only 2" bore but bigger does not always means better. I would take 2" internal bypass than 2.5 non bypass any day.
The OME BP51 setup is a technological marvel, and I agree that most people will not need the additional heat dissipation of a 2.5" with reservoirs. I considered the BP51 myself, and they have setups specifically for the 150 series with and without bumpers, drawers, etc. The only consistent negative feedback I have gotten about them is that they tend to be noisy (produce a "clunk"), especially in cold weather, and that the rear shin guard falls off easily.

As to the icons, I also know many people who swear by them. They are a very popular shock. The reason I did not choose them is that the owner of an offroad fab shop I trust said that in his experience Icons have a greater incidence of failure in his experience than other similar brands and need to be rebuilt more frequently by far than their competitors.

Few people have gone through enough different shocks on their own vehicles to tell you much about how they compare in the real world, and most people seem to like what they run. It makes sense because most quality brands are significant steps up over stock. In the end, you generally get what you pay for. Top money gets top quality, rebuildable components and more options/adjustability. That means Kings or Radflos. After that are the intermediate brands with monotube shocks like Icon and Dobinsons MRR and BP51. All of them are fantastic in their own right and good quality for the money. Then under that are the nitro gas twin tube style shocks like the Ironman, Bilstein and regular Dobinsons and OME shocks. But if you set up your suspension correctly, people riding in both probably wouldn't be able to tell an adjustable resi King setup from a twin tube Ironman for many applications. So figure out your budget first, then try to find the best quality option for that money.

Last edited:
Great feedback guys and much appreciated. I don't think the OME is where I'm headed, though the videos on the Prado in the desert look sick. It looks like Dobinsons MRR with UCAs or an Icon Stage 2 are roughly the same cost ($2500ish with preset coilovers) and in the budget I had in mind. I think Kyle told me the MRR gives you between 1.25 and 2.75 inches of lift and accommodates for KDSS lean. Does the Icon give the ability to go a little higher (I think I read up to 3.5 inches)? Any issues on the Icon with KDSS lean?

Ideally I'd like to fit something as close to a 34" AT as possible with minimal additional mods. Haven't done a ton of research on wheel/tire size and offsets but considering SCS F5s 17x8.5 or 9.

I run the Icon 2.5 Extended Travel steup. I have a buddy that has ran multiple set ups (on his 2010 4Runner) and steered me away from Toytec, Bikstein, etc..... Said spend the money up front for quality on road and quality off-road. The 3 he recommended were Icon, Fox, Kings. Fox and King were a little pricey for my blood so I settled on The Icon. I run the 2.5 Coilovers Ext Travel With Icon UCA,s up front. Then Icon 2.5 Ext Travel shocks with MetalTech Heavy Springs. I have been recently playing with the preload and my alignment to find the sweet spot for on road driving since I still travel in mine and the wife still drives it regularly but also to give the best off-road ride while were out having fun on trails. I have been blown away with not only the capabilities but the adjustability. It’s super easy and the change in ride quality is crazy for what exactly your wanting or what you do more of. Less preload was soft on road but bouncy off-road. More preload Is stiff on road and soft off-road. Which is how I run it. It stops the body roll completely and nose dive at heavy brake. I have been extremely happy and pleased with the purchase. Hope this helps. I usually don’t add my two cents to these things but figured I might could add some help from the Icon side of things. Let me know if I can answer anything else for you.

Appleby193, I think I ran across your truck on Instagram. Are you running 35s? Curious how that rides and what mods you did to make it fit? Thanks.

I went with Dobinsons without the remote res and I get Icons at cost(I’m an actual distributor). The icon will set you back around 3500$ if you do it right. The reason I went the other route is due to I drive quite a bit during the week, around 30k a year and I didn’t want to rebuild my suspension twice a year. You absolutely cannot go wrong with Icons, they ride and perform great, but there will be downtime.

Wow, so you have to rebuild the Icon's every 15k miles? I will probably only do 8-10k a year, but that still sounds like a lot. So you didnt do the MRR it sounds like. Did you do the standard Dobinsons for the same reason?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom