GX460 Hitch Options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Personally, I would consider grinding the metal receiver portion more than expanding the holes. I would rather that part rust than the holes and any "work" you do is way more likely to rust. Plus the holes are more structural and the portion you would grind. Might be time for the grinder here as well.

Someone else posted that it should fit: Wildpeak 265/70R17 fits in GX460 spare well with OEM / factory hitch
Now I confused.

My LT 265-70x17 did not fit under...

although Goodyear UT.....didn't try screwing with it...bought a carrier

Option.....buy a Vair compressor..direct battery connection..$70 ish

Along with a plug kit......carry it just in case ?? Be sure get the one with a carry bag

Couldn't get a grinder before Lowes closed so I hacked away with a sawzall. Cut off about 1/4".

First cuts
IMG_20200619_203438.jpg

Ending point. Need to get a grinder to smooth it out.
IMG_20200619_220648.jpg

In order to not rub against the KDSS, I need to pull the spare back so that the lip of the hitch falls in between the treads of the tire. If I do that, then no rub. In order to get the spare off, just need to loosen it a little and push it off the lip of the hitch.
IMG_20200619_214425.jpg
IMG_20200619_214317.jpg

I will only be using this for lightweight duty (bike rack, cargo carrier) so I'm happy with the results so far. Thanks to @Dazed for the idea!

Couldn't get a grinder before Lowes closed so I hacked away with a sawzall. Cut off about 1/4".

First cuts
View attachment 2345539

Ending point. Need to get a grinder to smooth it out.
View attachment 2345531

In order to not rub against the KDSS, I need to pull the spare back so that the lip of the hitch falls in between the treads of the tire. If I do that, then no rub. In order to get the spare off, just need to loosen it a little and push it off the lip of the hitch.
View attachment 2345543View attachment 2345542

I will only be using this for lightweight duty (bike rack, cargo carrier) so I'm happy with the results so far. Thanks to @Dazed for the idea!

What size tire is this?

That was probably me. Originally, the spare would not fit. This week, I loosened and pushed the OEM hitch as far to the rear as possible. I then had to let some air out of the spare. It fits, but barely. If the tire was any larger in diameter, it would not fit. The Nitros may be slightly larger than the Falkens. If what I did did not, I was planning on going to the grinder/flap-disc route. I am stoked that it worked for you! Be sure to get a dedicated wrench or socket with ratchet for those bolts and put it with your spare tire supplies! You do not want to be stuck without and need that spare.

Also, be sure to paint the exposed metal portion and let it dry before you mount it back up. Glad that it worked out!

Does anyone know why Lexus put a National Stop Sale order on their factory hitch?

Recall coming?

Trying to figure out a hitch receiver for my new-to-me 2017 GX 460... Would prefer factory, but they are not selling them right now and not sure when they will. 🤷

Just buy a curt class 3… rated to 5k but you shouldn’t be towing more than that with a 150 anyways.

Yes it come with the relocation bracket and fasteners for the trailer hook ups.

One could make a skid plate for them.

While installing this I looked it up on a Lexus parts site for a installation visual. The trailer hook up wiring is 270 bucks. So a skid plate is not a bad idea.

Agreed, my buddy destroyed his on his LX570 in Big Bend last year. The rear ends of these Lexus trucks are big and long even with a lift and larger tires lol.
Wish I woulda seen these earlier. :( Banged up the rear on a rock today. Gotta test if the wiring still works, but the covers are gone.

If wiring still functional, I'll go this route and report back.

Wish I woulda seen these earlier. :( Banged up the rear on a rock today. Gotta test if the wiring still works, but the covers are gone.

If wiring still functional, I'll go this route and report back.

Yeah, I flogged mine in a boulder field some time ago and need to replace it also.
Don't have a trailer right now, so not really a priority. Just one of the little things left to do. :meh:

These work very well. Haven’t seen it used on a 460 but a buddy used it on his Tacoma and it worked great. Keeps you from dragging your ass.........

Amazon product ASIN B07CWBGCHB
Meh, I moved the factory bracket to a better location when I still had the hitch installed, simple as drilling new fastener holes.

Now with the LFD rear bumper I need to fabricate a new bracket. LFD doesn’t provide a relocation point. I rarely tow so not a priority. It’ll be a summer time project.

Yeah, it’s not for everyone but if you have your hitch wiring hanging low and / or still have the factory rear bumper and want some cheap peace of mind, it does keep you from dragging the ass end over everything. You just have to have a hitch to put it in.

Looking for a factory lexus hitch as well for my 16 GX. Any further info on the stop sale / backorder status everywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom