GX460 Hitch Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s the best available option for towing to the vehicles capacity and is a far superior recovery point compared to those 4 bolt 5k options.

Agreed, but I hate how low it pushes the electrical hookups and other than carrying my dirt bike hitch hauler, I plan to do very little towing with the GX beyond a small utility trailer so the small "class 3" bolt on hitch will do for now. Once I can figure out the rear bumper I can finally have a proper recovery point as well. I've got to figure out front recovery points as well.

It’s the best available option for towing to the vehicles capacity and is a far superior recovery point compared to those 4 bolt 5k options.
That I agree with.

I guess the new Class IV hitch provides a spot to relocate the trailer wiring hookups lower?

Yes it come with the relocation bracket and fasteners for the trailer hook ups.

One could make a skid plate for them.

While installing this I looked it up on a Lexus parts site for a installation visual. The trailer hook up wiring is 270 bucks. So a skid plate is not a bad idea.

Yes it come with the relocation bracket and fasteners for the trailer hook ups.

One could make a skid plate for them.

While installing this I looked it up on a Lexus parts site for a installation visual. The trailer hook up wiring is 270 bucks. So a skid plate is not a bad idea.

Agreed, my buddy destroyed his on his LX570 in Big Bend last year. The rear ends of these Lexus trucks are big and long even with a lift and larger tires lol.

I'm getting a hitch installed as soon as I can, so I called the Lexus dealer and they said parts and labor is $602 (not too bad I guess). But then they said the GX does not need a brake controller, saying it is all built in (not sure if this is true). Now I am calling around to see what other options are out there from other hitch installers in town

Last edited:
Pretty sure you can get the Lexus branded Class IV hitch for around $300 and install it yourself.

true, that is an option. Not sure about the brake controller deal. Just talked to another installer who says there is a plug for a controller (plug and play)

I'm getting a hitch installed as soon as I can, so I called the Lexus dealer and they said parts and labor is $602 (not too bad I guess). But then they said the GX does not need a brake controller, saying it is all built in (not sure if this is true). Now I am calling around to see what other options are out there from other hitch installers in town

DIY, order from Amazon comes with all the hardware.

Amazon product ASIN B0844PP12W

All installed and towed this weekend. It all worked great.

My '11 460 came with factory hitch.....

no.....my new spare LT265-70x17 did not fit in carrier..thus.....

I contacted RIGd Supply in Kalifornia...they make the Ultra Swing that mounts into hitch receiver

Ordered & shipped inside of a weeks time...delivery April 3rd

How do you like the swing out? I am frustrated that a Falken Wildpeak 265/70/17 will not fit in the spare location. I was hoping to remain more steal, and am not thrilled at the prospect of spending $1200 for a swing arm, nor the weight hanging off the back of the truck.

How do you like the swing out? I am frustrated that a Falken Wildpeak 265/70/17 will not fit in the spare location. I was hoping to remain more steal, and am not thrilled at the prospect of spending $1200 for a swing arm though.....

The swingaway is OK......yea...$1200 ish plus the fold away table for me

Kind of a PIA to access rear door......but you do have a matching spare

Its a solid mount....fast but not free shipping.....

**** 4 star rating from me........:)

A full fledged rear bumper is $3K........

I am wondering about a prado rear door....or going to the Curt hitch and add some rear recovery points. (on another note, I need to research how the current points are for recovery. Two large metric grade 8 bolts is fairly beefy.)

Installed a Curt 13043 but the 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 spare doesn't fit without jamming up against what I think is the rear sway bar. I removed the hitch for now but thinking of either 1) grinding the hitch down for more clearance since I only plan to use it for a bike rack or 2) airing down the spare and squeezing it against the hitch. How do you deal with TPMS light if you air down the spare? I know a 470 owner that taped the light and just uses a scan tool to regularly check tire pressure but that just sounds like a PITA.

Last edited:
Did you mean the 265/60/17 or the 265/70/17? The 265/60/17 has a smaller diameter (29.5inch) than the stock tire (265/60/r18 at 30.6 inches)

Edit for a handy Table:
__Size______Diameter_____ Width
265/60/r18____30.6"_________10.5"____Stock Tire
265/60/r17____29.5"_________10.4"
255/70/r17____31.1"_________10.2"
265/65/r17____30.6"_________10.6"
265/70/r17____31.7"_________10.8"____Spare does not (seem to) fit always

Woops, yes I meant 265/70/17.

My current plan is to drive around without a spare so that I can use the hitch & throw the spare in the trunk on longer trips. Not ideal but I think it's better than the risk of compromising the integrity of the hitch by grinding it down.

So I just got under the truck and loosed up the hitch bolts to see if it would move outward some. It did by about 1/8 inch (maybe). As I measure it now, I have almost exactly (maybe 1/16inch more) 31.5inches of clearance between the KDSS bar and the rear of the hitch. I would need at a bare minimum 31.75" clearance for teh 265/70/17 spare. My thought on those who it fit before is that the tire had wear on it plus the manufacturing tolerances gave some extra space. (I could see how one could gain 1/8 or maybe 3/16ths by having the 2" receiver portion of the hitch moved forward during manufacturing ever so barely and not affect form or function, while barely affecting fit. Darn. Bummer.

Thanks for the insight. Now I'm thinking of expanding the holes a tiny bit so that I can move the hitch further back.

I think that's the thread that gave me the confidence to go with the 265/70s 🙃

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom