GX460 Hitch Options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are looking at hitches for the 2017 GX460. Thought maybe folks could make some recommendations and offer any good input. We had a brand called "torklift" on our GX470 that worked great and was round tubing if I recall. Just not sure which ones are the best options for the new GX460. We won't tow very often, but could use it occasionally for a utility trailer or even a small travel trailer (16-18 foot) and also as a recovery point with a shackle (and as a bike rack mount). Looking for something beefy, but still give as much clearance for spare as possible. I am also wondering if there is an option to weld/bolt a swing out rear tire carrier onto the hitch.

thanks everyone for your input/suggestions on this one

My '11 460 came with factory hitch.....

no.....my new spare LT265-70x17 did not fit in carrier..thus.....

I contacted RIGd Supply in Kalifornia...they make the Ultra Swing that mounts into hitch receiver

Ordered & shipped inside of a weeks time...delivery April 3rd

That is good info, definitely want the high rated hitch. Thanks

This and its type are only rated to 5,000 lbs for towing and I wouldn't trust it for recovery at all.

Amazon product ASIN B003ZS32CW

This is a factory hitch rated to GX towing capacity. Much safer for recovery.

Amazon product ASIN B0844PP12W

specs say lower receiver rated for 10K........

RIGd UltraSwing

Fortunately, my wife says I am only "approved" for a small boat or trailer (or about 5K on a good day)...

Never load more on any hitch than the truck is rated for.

Anytime you extend the receiver (such as a you're carrier unit) you increase tongue weight (think longer lever) and that's a bad thing as a class 3 hitch max tongue weight is 600lbs.

Never load more on any hitch than the truck is rated for.

Anytime you extend the receiver (such as a you're carrier unit) you increase tongue weight (think longer lever) and that's a bad thing as a class 3 hitch max tongue weight is 600lbs.
Exactly!!

This goes with so many things 4x4. It’s basic engineering.

I have a class 3 hitch simply to carry my dirt bike on a hitch carrier. The pair weighs about 325lbs in total and that's really all I am comfortable with for tongue weight. I have towed 4,000 lbs with it and it did fine, but if I were going to be towing over 2500-3000lbs regularly then I would upgrade to a class IV. Luckily we have other vehicles for that so there never should be a need. This is why I have decided to forgo the trailer brake controller as well. If all I ever yank behind the GX is a 12' utility trailer then there is no need for trailer brakes and most 12' trailers lack electric brakes as it is.

Factory hitch arrived today. Purchased mainly as a recovery point but will see occasional light towing.

16F7C226-5FD6-43D7-ACD2-34E67F91CC0B.jpeg

I guess the new Class IV hitch provides a spot to relocate the trailer wiring hookups lower?

I guess the new Class IV hitch provides a spot to relocate the trailer wiring hookups lower?
I hate that Lexus calls it a class 4 hitch. With a max tongue weight of 600lbs (650lbs with weight distribution bars) it's not even capable of the max of a class 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom