GX460 headers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree, number one rule of hot-rodding, if you're getting more air in, you need to open up the exhaust and let out all that extra exhaust. Same goes for reverse, if you open up your exhaust, you're not going to see as much performance unless you open up the intake also.

Just thinking MrTorgue, for what a huff-n-puff (turbo or blower) would cost, how about an engine swap with a 200 series 3UR-FE (5.7 liter). Out of the box it'll come with 381 hp and 401 of lb-ft! And you'll still get the reliability of a stock Toyota engine!
Now thinking along those lines, I know Japan requires an engine swap about every 60,000 miles and I've heard you can get Toyota engines pretty cheap with that many miles. Albeit, you'll probably have to do some fabricating, but that would be a pretty cool rig!! :cool:

The 3UR probably has a taller deck height than the 1UR due to the stroke being 0.75" longer. So it would be a wider engine and may or may not fit in the narrow 150 platform, at least near the exhaust mainfolds. I do agree that it would be an amazing swap if someone would take the time to work it out and see if it could be done.

I agree, number one rule of hot-rodding, if you're getting more air in, you need to open up the exhaust and let out all that extra exhaust. Same goes for reverse, if you open up your exhaust, you're not going to see as much performance unless you open up the intake also.

Just thinking MrTorgue, for what a huff-n-puff (turbo or blower) would cost, how about an engine swap with a 200 series 3UR-FE (5.7 liter). Out of the box it'll come with 381 hp and 401 of lb-ft! And you'll still get the reliability of a stock Toyota engine!
Now thinking along those lines, I know Japan requires an engine swap about every 60,000 miles and I've heard you can get Toyota engines pretty cheap with that many miles. Albeit, you'll probably have to do some fabricating, but that would be a pretty cool rig!! :cool:

@giovanni and I brainstormed about the engine swap and forced induction. It wasn’t pretty when the cost was considered. Haha. The compression is too high for any sort of meaningful turbo. Swapping a 5.7 world just be way too much work, and the physical swap is the easy part. The ECU and BCM would need to be overhauled most likely. Same deal if you swapped in the LS460’s engine. It just isn’t worth it.

The most accessible option is a supercharger but that’s likely a ~$10k+ investment. Too rich for my blood. That leaves some NA tuning. Won’t get huge gains but something is better than nothing. Too bad we don’t have an aftermarket company who’s selling in-wheel electric motors. The tech is out there, no ones adopted it yet.

So a focus on air in and out then an ECU tune world be something we all should focus on in order to show interest in that market so we get more options in the future.

Rather than adding power, I'd be curious whether the 8-speed from a 200 Series would play nicely in the GX460. The ratio spread is wider than the 6spd, and biased toward lower ratios, so it would be a great match for plus size tires in a 460 and wouldn't require regearing the diffs. It ought to help resolve the annoying gear hunting in the 460 too.

I wonder whether a 8spd is a bolt-in affair into a 460. Mechanically, it would seem at least the bellhousings would be identical from 1UR to 3UR... not sure about the other interfaces. For sure the electrons would need to be sorted out.

Anyone been down this path?

@giovanni and I brainstormed about the engine swap and forced induction. It wasn’t pretty when the cost was considered. Haha. The compression is too high for any sort of meaningful turbo. Swapping a 5.7 world just be way too much work, and the physical swap is the easy part. The ECU and BCM would need to be overhauled most likely. Same deal if you swapped in the LS460’s engine. It just isn’t worth it.

The most accessible option is a supercharger but that’s likely a ~$10k+ investment. Too rich for my blood. That leaves some NA tuning. Won’t get huge gains but something is better than nothing. Too bad we don’t have an aftermarket company who’s selling in-wheel electric motors. The tech is out there, no ones adopted it yet.

So a focus on air in and out then an ECU tune world be something we all should focus on in order to show interest in that market so we get more options in the future.
I remember how easy is was when as a teenager, I droped a 215 ci aluminum block V8 engine into my 1974 Chevy Vega! Minimal emisions and no electronics, just a big'ol carb and headers!
Well, it wasn't that easy, but at least I didn't have to deal with electronics!!

Last edited:
Rather than adding power, I'd be curious whether the 8-speed from a 200 Series would play nicely in the GX460. The ratio spread is wider than the 6spd, and biased toward lower ratios, so it would be a great match for plus size tires in a 460 and wouldn't require regearing the diffs. It ought to help resolve the annoying gear hunting in the 460 too.

I wonder whether a 8spd is a bolt-in affair into a 460. Mechanically, it would seem at least the bellhousings would be identical from 1UR to 3UR... not sure about the other interfaces. For sure the electrons would need to be sorted out.

Anyone been down this path?

Having some experience with this in a way I’d say it isn’t a direct swap or plug and play. In the MOPAR world the 5dpd guys wanted the 8spd trans but doing the swap even considering everything else was the same wasn’t going to be a very easy or cheap process. The programming requirement alone to get the computers to work in harmony would be a major pain. An ECU tune would be mandatory. I’d LOVE an 8spd but understand it is a pipe dream. The 8spd I both my Charger R/T’s was absolutely phenomenal so I know it would work very well for our GX’s. It’s a way to hide the extra weight and lower power by always being in the right powerband and never lacking in acceleration. Plus the MPG would easily improve.

I'm just happy to have a 6-speed! My previous FJ Cruiser had a 5-speed.

Not headers, but it’s a start:

A tune might finally be coming - bottom of the first post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom