GX 460 Blitz rock sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 2016 GX460 - looking at sliders. Has anyone used the Blitz sliders? I searched, but can't find anyone who went this route.

That's the first i've seen of those. I didn't pay much attention to the Victory 4x4 products when I had the 4Runner so I am not surprised. Honestly they aren't bad, I like the integrated LED rock lights but the top of the step would definitely need some texture in the form of skateboard tape or being sprayed with something that has grit, I fear it would be slip city without it. I am not sure how I feel about them entirely, I would need to see them on a lifted GX before I could commit to them. It's nice to have options, I was actually on here tonight looking for slider threads so that I could start shopping.

I have a set of them on order for my 2015 Gx460. Hoping to have them in hand soon. Also putting together a Coastal Offroad rear dual swing out bumper. I'll post my thoughts on the sliders as soon as I get them on.

I have a set of them on order for my 2015 Gx460. Hoping to have them in hand soon. Also putting together a Coastal Offroad rear dual swing out bumper. I'll post my thoughts on the sliders as soon as I get them on.

Good to hear! I wasn't aware that Coastal had any options for the GX460. I liked what I saw of his 5th Gen front bumper last year. I am interested to see the final product and hear your thoughts on both.

*Edit: After looking at Coastal's rear bumper I am intrigued but I have two initial complaints. 1) I'm not sure I like the decreasing angle of the side skirts, it looks kinda odd vs. just having a straight line back instead. 2) I don't think I like the HDPE mounts for the swing outs, it feels very much like a 2005 solution to the locking clamp foundation. Granted I am sure it works and locks up quite well when adjusted, it's just more of an aesthetics thing for me, it looks less refined.

I am interested in seeing what it looks like with the 2014+ rear light setup because the GX they have pictured is a 2011-2013 with the older, more vertical reverse lights. The aluminum option sounds nice but $765 to save 60lbs isn't worth it in my book, not out back at least. It'll require a different fabricator/welder too at a higher cost, because my local guy doesn't do aluminum.

Last edited:
I have a set. Not lifted but on 275/65r18s. I haven’t really ’used’ them on any rocks. Even adjusted all the way forward, they’re a little too far rearward (you can see it when you zoom in). even so, I’m happy. I feel that the shape goes with the design language of the gx460 better than tubular. They’re pretty visually heavy, so I do think they’ll look better on a lifted truck and stock with stock tires (see the black one on GXOR).

12B0A7BF-38A3-42D8-BC2C-52E51A76D504.jpeg

5F201872-53AD-4ED3-B80F-5BEB7F2025E9.jpeg

A8443B05-0321-4CAE-96C1-0A6B963BF01C.jpeg

Last edited:
please write up a review with pics once you get the coastal rear setup

I like the look of the Blitz sliders and agree that they go along with the design of the face-lifted GX. I noticed they don't have a kick out in the rear, though. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

What's the weight of the Blitz sliders?

How was the experience installing these? Do the kdss lines get in the way? How'd you rust proof the holes that you had to drill?

I thought I’d resurrect this thread as I just installed the same sliders and it might help others.

Install is not super difficult, especially with the new GX460 install videos linked on their website. I did it with the car on the ground and the slider box under the car so I could slide around. I was able to do every step myself except place the drivers side into place behind the KDSS lines which took a couple of minutes to figure out. My wife helped me hoist it into place on that side. I’ve seen a few early reports of folks not being able to fully center them properly (see Lifestyle Overland’s install on YouTube) but they seemed to have fixed the problem since then as I had a ton of adjustability front to back. The mounting brackets both slide behind the KDSS lines on the drivers side and you will need to gently pry on them at the rubber bolt bracket with a trim tool or equivalent to get it into place. The hardest part is tightening the hex button head bolts from the slider legs to the brackets after attaching the whole thing to the frame and centering. The space is super tight and I figured a way out to use a bunch of small pivot head adapters on my impact driver to get in there while slipping a wrench behind the slider bracket to hold the nuts for all 16 bolts. I have a lot of cut knuckles from the tight space.

For the two bolts requiring drilling, I mounted the slider, center punched, drilled, masked, and primed. Then I drove in the new bolts with anti seize. I fluid filmed all mating surfaces before mounting to get ahead of the rust game where water could sleep between the mating surfaces. Of course this was all made easier by us having aluminum slider legs. The brackets are steel. I love the high lift mount points on the bottom of the slider and there is a box reinforcement plate by those points on the inside of the slider for strength. The bright integrated rock lights on the front and back are nice and plug into the factory harness after you splice it in.

The problems with the install and sliders: one was one hole on the passenger rear bracket facing the ground for which they say to tap with a self tapping mounting bolt. The hole was too large for the provided bolts. I've reached out to Victory for a solution. Second, the factory KDSS line skid plate cannot be reinstalled after installation of the Victory Blitz sliders so the KDSS lines are vulnerable at the lowest spot on the frame. Victory 4x4 has confirmed that this is the case.

F75AD7F1-F0BC-4217-97E5-EF279F3DA1B3.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a very nice clean look for keeping a more stock look. If you paint them your body color, one would be hard pressed to tell if it was after market until you slam down on a rock with no damage! Can you post some side shot pictures?
I know I keep harping on this, but are you going to add some grip tape to the top of those? I know the bay area doesn't get any snow or ice, but it sure gets wet and those sliders will be slick as a squid in a sauna when wet. There are several types of grip tape from the abrasive type used on most skate boards to a more rubberized textured surface, and even translucent color (or lack of...). I've used the translucent 1" wide tape for the leading edge of my outside stairs and so far it's worked great!

That's a very nice clean look for keeping a more stock look. If you paint them your body color, one would be hard pressed to tell if it was after market until you slam down on a rock with no damage! Can you post some side shot pictures?
I know I keep harping on this, but are you going to add some grip tape to the top of those? I know the bay area doesn't get any snow or ice, but it sure gets wet and those sliders will be slick as a squid in a sauna when wet. There are several types of grip tape from the abrasive type used on most skate boards to a more rubberized textured surface, and even translucent color (or lack of...). I've used the translucent 1" wide tape for the leading edge of my outside stairs and so far it's worked great!
I can definitely grab a side shot tomorrow. The extra height over the stock step and the wide platform is awesome for roof rack access and we have a K-9 Platform rack arriving from South Africa tomorrow so a large high step will be extra handy to access it. I don’t actually use the step to get in as I’m 6’1” and just step over it into the car. But my wife now gets in by stepping backwards onto the slider and popping up over the seat bolster.

Conveniently it rained the day I installed and this morning when i dropped my kids off at school they said they weren’t slippery but I definitely agree i should add some type of texture tape. I’d love to find a durable rubber nubby type.

Two final notes, I was impressed that the final net weight gain after step cutting and hardware addition and replacement was just about 75 lbs all in. Pretty reasonable for something so substantial.

And the front-most KDSS line armor plate has to be removed to fit mounting bracket and there is one small spot where the lines bend that doesn’t have good protection now and looks like just the right rock hit could take them out. Perhaps there is a way for me to remount that plate, I’ll post a pic tomorrow if the plate doesn’t remount and maybe i can get some feedback as to whether it might be a problem on the trail.

Last edited:
:popcorn:

Looking fw to more info & pics, these could be just the thing for ours.

Conveniently it rained the day I installed and this morning when i dropped my kids off at school they said they weren’t slippery but I definitely agree i should add some type of texture tape. I’d love to find a durable rubber nubby type.
You could spray the top with rattle-can bedliner for some added traction. It's not as good as the tape for traction but works pretty good IMO.

Grabbed this quick side snapshot on the way home from dropping the kids at school. It's a low contrast background so not a great way to see a black slider. I need to go to snow.

IMG_6651.jpeg

Really like how it literally flows from front wheel arch to rear wheel arch with no gaps (that I can see).
It looks very well integrated.
Also, like you, I never use the slider as a step (6'-0"), but my wife will sometimes (5'-1").
This is the tape I used on my stairs and it has stayed on great considering it's to the entrance of my home, so it gets stepped on dozens of times a day. Although I did rub down each step with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) before applying.
Amazon product ASIN B07SZH8LPV

Last edited:
Thanks for the tape suggestion!
i was also looking at this rubberized option:
Amazon product ASIN B00I511BDQ
As for the Victory Blitz sliders, it looks like the slider bracket design on the driver front may prevent reinstallation of the KDSS armor skid plate where the lines come over the frame rail. This is at a critical point where rocks sliding on the frame rail or down the slider bracket could easily hit and I’m hoping I’m missing something and Victory can recommend a way to reinstall the plate. If not, I can’t recommend the sliders despite the great aesthetics and highly functional step as this would be introducing a critical vulnerability that Toyota clearly worked to eliminate.
23D1FFD7-AAD7-48DA-A4F2-15195FE84029.jpeg

Just remember to wipe down really well all the surfaces you'll be applying that tape with IPA. Wipe them down until you don't see anything color/residue on the paper towel or rag you're using.

I heard back from Victory 4x4 on the GX460 Blitz sliders. Their response to my inquiry about the fact that the factory KDSS skid plate cannot be installed with their slider in place leaving the KDSS lines exposed on the frame rail (see photo above) was that "I ran through the install video and noticed we don't put that skid back on there so if you'd like to run it you would have to modify it to fit.". So while marketing and selling this as a GX460 solution that is KDSS compatible, it is only compatible if you compromise the factory KDSS line protection or get a fabricator to figure out how to make a solution to protect it after install. For the Blitz 4Runner application, the factory KDSS line skid can be mounted by just cutting off one small tab on the factory plate. So it seems like this just might be the 4Runner design without any extra design details modified or changed to work with the GX460.

Also, their slider mounting brackets cover up the original mounting holes for the KDSS line skid plate - they could have easily added holes over the originals in their slider mounting plate. So even if the original KDSS line skid plate can be modified to fit you will have to drill out and re-prime and paint their bracket so you can access the mounting holes.

We use our vehicle to go off-road to remote places so a solution that compromises the KDSS is not really acceptable to us . Victory should really have in the description of this product "Not compatible with the factory KDSS lines skid plate" so you don't have to discover this while installing it. Hopefully these details will help others make their purchasing decision.

A quick update, after another email to Victory 4x4 about our frustration in discovering that the factory KDSS skid not fitting after installing the Blitz sliders, they sent me an email this morning saying "we are going to look into a skid upgrade for the blitz sliders. We don't have a timeline at the moment but it is being talked about right now". So I'm glad they have discussed it and understand it might be an issue for many, and I hope they can come up with a solution.

Their design is unique with great aesthetics and with the most usable step plate we've seen on any slider. Great for my 5'5" wife and even for me at 6'1" while loading the rack and roof box. Strength and durability are TBD but I'd expect it to be good and probably tops on the all-steel models. If they can work out keeping the factory KDSS line protection I''d call it a great solution.

Last edited:
A quick update, after another email to Victory 4x4 about our frustration in discovering that the factory KDSS skid not fitting after installing the Blitz sliders, they sent me an email this morning saying "we are going to look into a skid upgrade for the blitz sliders. We don't have a timeline at the moment but it is being talked about right now". So I'm glad they have discussed it and understand it might be an issue for many, and I hope they can come up with a solution.

Their design is unique with great aesthetics and with the most usable step plate we've seen on any slider. Great for my 5'5" wife and even for me at 6'1" while loading the rack and roof box. Strength and durability are TBD but I'd expect it to be good and probably tops on the all-steel models. If they can work out keeping the factory KDSS line protection I''d call it a great solution.
Definitely interested in these, will be waiting to hear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom