[Guide] Retrofitting Multi-Terrain/Turn-Assist/5-Speed Crawl (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nwfl4runner

GOLD Star
Threads
This post details how I retrofitted 2013+ 5 Speed Crawl-Control (CC), Multi-Terrain Select (MTS), and Offroad Turn-Assist (OTA) into my 2010 LX570 that came standard with the paltry 3 speed CC. I had to do this because my control switch had chipped paint and was really bringing down the interior. I do NOT know if this will work on the 2008 models that I think did not have a network gateway ECU, but assume it will. Party on, Wayne!

Step 1: Justify This Mod

“Why not get a rear locker” – Cause I did already
“Why waste your money on this” – Cause I did already. And then some. Honestly, it was more about seeing if I could than if I should.

Step 2: The Parts You Will Need

To make this work you will need a new Skid-Control ECU, control panel switch, combination meter, network gateway ECU, and skid-control connector. Bunch of wiring tools too.

Crawl Switch: 84010-60B30 – This is the new switch control unit. It uses the same connector as 2010, but with additional wires. I paid $115 on eBay.

Skid ECU Connector: 90980-12297 – I chose to use a new connector because at 10 years old, I was convinced I would be breaking plastic tabs while de-pining the connector. Also, as you have to rearrange a few wires, I was going to be disconnecting them anyway. It’s cheap peace of mind. $18 online from any of the good dealers.

Combination Meter: 83800-60Y40. You need this unit because it has the dash icons for the TA/MTS. I also figured that it would be necessary for the MTS/CC menu selection. I could not confirm whether MTS would work on the old cluster, but given the display output and that this was never an option for 2010 (unlike the GX retrofit), I figured better safe than sorry. There is an added benefit to this mod – the 2013 functions like turn-based navigation work on the 2010! Bad news #1 is Toyota doesn’t sell this anymore, so you have to scour eBay or car-part.com. Bad news #2 – you lose your mileage. I don’t sell cars that I buy, so I don’t care, but there it is.

Skid-Control ECU: 47025-60510 (as mine does not have pre-crash). On our models, the Skid-Control ECU is attached to the master cylinder. You can buy the brand new parts for $1,150 online, and then disassemble your unit (abs pump assembly) to replace certain parts, or just go on eBay and buy the entire actuator assembly which is what I did. Cost was $1,200. The benefit was that I got a newer complete assembly and was able to keep mine on the bench for repairs later. In my quest to get it to work I also bought an OEM master cylinder and swapped over parts from my 2010 because one can never have enough brake master cylinders. Easy to do, takes 10 minutes.

Network Gateway ECU: This was the part that held me up. The 2008-12 Network Gateway ECU is 89111-60060. If you read on the Lexus parts website it claims to be the same part for 2008-2013. This is a lie. 2013-15 use 89111-60080. If you do not swap this, you will still get 5-speed crawl control/color menu, but you will not get MTS/OTA. You can find them online for $150-250 used.

Cabin Harness: If you want to minimize the in-cabin re-wiring, buy/find harness 82223-60720A. This the wiring harness that connects most of the console items and the crawl switch to the main wiring harness. If you do this, you will only need to add 2 new wires, which saves you time. It’s $30.

Terminals: You are adding wires to the Skid-Control ECU. The Toyota “Terminal Repair” wire is 82998-24250. It’s $14 or some nonsense. This is a Sumitomo 025 type TS waterproof F series terminal. I bought 50 terminals from hi-1000ec.com. They ship insanely fast. For inside the cabin, you will be using a female Toyota 82998-24290, and male Toyota 82998-24270. These are Sumitomo 025 Type TS female non-waterproof and 025 Type TS male non-waterproof respectively. The ONLY place I could find these were hi-1000ec.com. If you search “sumitomo XXXXX-XXXXX” and put in the Toyota Terminal Repair part number I’ve listed, you will see these connectors. To crimp these, I went with Hozan P-706 crimpers. Again, buy in bulk so you can practice.

Wire: I went with TXL wire, not the regular store stuff. Thinner wall, great temperature resistance, easy to work with. In retrospect, I would order the sumitomo wire from hi-1000ec.com as well. It is super thin wall, and the skid control ECU connector is a tight fit, even with the correct gauge thin-wall wire.

Techstream: You really should have this anyway, but needless to say, it’s important to have this to make the project go smoothly.

Cotter pin for brake pedal – 90468-07027 – removing it is much easier if you just grab and yank. It’ll break, so replace.

Gasket – 44785-04020 – gasket between the master cylinder and the firewall. Swap in a new one.

IMG_5242_HEIC-L.jpg

Step 3: Install

Overall, the install is actually incredibly straightforward. Following these steps, it should take you a lazy afternoon. I would recommend you buy/rent/steal/borrow a snake camera the first time you work on disconnecting the brake pedal, trying to line it up/get oriented underneath is just a nightmare. Assuming you are going to be doing this entire job at once, make sure you slide your driver’s seat all the way back. You will need the space. DISCONNECT BATTERY.

Combination Meter
– I confirmed through the FSM that the 2010/2013 combination meters received data from the same locations/systems and were pinned identically. This makes swapping the clusters literally plug and play. The only issue that I found was that my 2010 did not have an oil level sensor, so I threw an error code when I installed. In short, the combination meter wants to see 14V from the oil sensor terminal. The sensor acts as a resistor, low oil = high resistance, and when the voltage drops below 11V, you get an error. Solution is this jumper cable.

IMG_5222-L.jpg

The plug here is where the oil level and pressure sensor plug in. Pins 1/3 were open on mine so I jumped them.

IMG_5223-M.jpg

Voila, no error. Now I’ll find out I have no oil the old fashioned way.

To install the cluster itself, you’ll want to use techstream to turn OFF the auto retract function of the steering wheel. It needs to be all the way and all the way down. The cluster has 2 10mm bolts holding it into the dash. Simply unscrew, and then reach threw the open air vents to pop the top of the cluster out. Tilt it down and forward, and it will come right out. Unplug the old cluster and plug the new one in. Remember to put the AC vents back in after the cluster and before the rest of the trim. PDF with removal instructions is attached below.

Crawl-Control Selector Switch – This is identified as the “Integration Control & Panel Assemby”. If you have purchased the wiring harness (82223-60720A), disregard the pin-out location on the switch itself, instead look at VE3 which is the connector to the body harness. That pin-out is identical between the years. The only difference is 2013 adds a pin-out at 7 and 14. If you have not, then you will want to repin the connector coming out of the control panel to match. Let’s be honest though, if you have spent the money to get this far, buy the harness.

IMG_5312_HEIC-L.jpg

New harness next to old harness. Much cleaner and easier! Removal instructions are attached, easy to follow.

Below is a picture of connector VE3 where you will run the new wires to/from the skid ECU. For now it really doesn't matter which wire you put in 7 or 14, just remember it when you've run through through the firewall.

ve3%20connector-S.jpg

IMG_5310-L.jpg

Giving myself plenty of extra wire, I wrapped them together and guided them carefully to the VE3 connector. Next, I crimped each with a Sumitomo TS 025 male connector, and plugged into VE3. The 7/14 terminals are at end of the connector which is currently unoccupied. Use the following diagram as a guide for when you connect them to the skid ECU:

IMG_5316_HEIC-L.jpg

Now, reassemble the dash in reverse order, but leave the leather pieces off, as you will be replacing the Network Gateway ECU/master cylinder next. Run the new wires you have through the engine bay and prepare to add them to the wiring harness. You can run them through the respective connectors if you want (EA1), but that was too much of a pain at this stage, as I was not convinced the project would even work. I may go back and connect it following the wiring diagram if/when bored.

Network Gateway ECU

Remove the door trim, kick panel, air-bag module and glove-box. It’s all 10mm bolts. The Network Gateway ECU is staring you in the face, a single 10mm bolt removes the unit and simply plug the new part in. Reassemble the dash. For the airbag module, use a pick to remove the center yellow piece and then you can unplug the connector. You must remove that center piece otherwise the connector will not disconnect.

IMG_5482-L.jpg

Reassembly is easy. This job can be done without disconnecting the airbag, just prop it up as the cable is short.

Brake-Master Cylinder – There are a few wiring changes between the years.

First, there are 3 connectors present in 2010 that are not present in 2013:

28(A) – Parking Brake. No idea why it’s not present, no idea why it would need to be present. When I de-pined the connector, I sealed it up and left it there.

42(A) – WFSE (Write Flash Enable Input)

13(A) – D/G (Diagnosis Tester Serial Communication)

42(A) and 13(A) go to DLC3 (OBDII). 2013 doesn’t have them, so I pulled them and capped them as well. I don’t need to flash the skid ECU, and I don’t need to test communication with the skid-ECU from the OBD2 anyway.

Next are two connectors that swap. Use the Wits' End Tool or a sewing needle.

43(A) and 9(A) swap

45(A) and 7(A) swap

Finally the 2 connectors we are adding from the switch panel

29(A) is a new connector (OTA/EXI4 from the crawl panel) – pin 14 on VE3

13(A) is a new connector (ATRC/ECU3 from the crawl panel) – pin 7 on VE3

As discussed, I planned on replacing the entire connector because heat cycling in the engine bay kills plastic. Sure enough, I was snapping the tabs left and right just trying to remove unused terminals. Here is the terminal pin-out for reference.

skid ecu.png

I've attached the PDF for removal, but here are some highlights.

They recommend draining the brake fluid, I didn’t bother. Instead, I have Toyota brake-line plugs from 4Crawler. Disconnect the lines one by one and plug both ends. Be prepared as this is messy, and your engine bay looks pretty. I used a lot of water and rags to keep the brake fluid off. I recommend you label each line so you can reconnect them in the correct order (I used my wife’s label maker). Once all the brake lines are disconnected, also disconnect them from the plastic clip that they route through (follow the lines back and you will see). You will want them to be flexible when it comes time to remove the master.

Removing the master cylinder sucks the first time. After removing all the interior dash panels, I used a snake-cam to help me orient myself to aid in disconnecting the plunger from the foot pedal. Yank the cotter pin and push a small rod that connects the master cylinder plunger to the brake pedal.

There are 4 nuts holding the master cylinder to the firewall. Disconnect each and then back to the engine bay. Now bend/move/manhandle the lines out of the way and yank that master cylinder out.

With the cylinder removed, you can easily re-pin the connector as described above. As with all Toyota connectors, you have to slide the lock (the white part) outwards slightly. Re-pin as described, wrap/clean up. Take care NOT to untwist any wires. CANbus wires need that twist to transmit data.

When reinstalling the master cylinder, measure the distance of your plunger (the rod coming off the master cylinder to the pedal). When you swap this part over to your new cylinder, you will want to keep this distance the same so that your brake pedal has the same throw/feel. Install is the opposite. Tighten it to the firewall before attempting to reattach the brake lines. As with every Toyota brake line, torque it until it isn’t moving. It says 11ftlbs which is just enough to leak everywhere. Don’t gorilla it, but I tighten them until they STOP. No more, no less.

Reattach the brake pedal by inserting the metal rod and then the cotter pin. Worst part of the job.

You have now swapped the necessary hardware and run the 2 new wires into the cab. Button up the interior, and prepare for what feels like an hour of bleeding the brakes.

To bleed the master cylinder you need techstream. You do not bench bleed. With the lines hooked up, fill the master cylinder to the full line, and put the cap on. Follow the procedure I've attached.

The final step is to do a zero point calibration. PDF attached.

With that complete, you should be good to go!

Now you can be like all those cool kids with their fancy buttons.

Attachments

• zero point.pdf
    160.7 KB · Views: 211
  • brake bleed.pdf
    113.9 KB · Views: 60
  • master cylinder removal.pdf
    235.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Crawl Switch Removal.pdf
    89.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Gauge Cluster removal.pdf
    388.4 KB · Views: 83
And here are the full wiring diagrams for the 2010 and 2013 so you can compare if need be!

Attachments

• 2010 Skid ECU wiring.pdf
    244.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 2013 Skid ECU wiring.pdf
    257.6 KB · Views: 83
This is awesome, but i suspect all these parts will become unattainable now As all of us pre-2013 LX owners thunderdome match for them.

Very cool.

anyone know whether MTS brings an appreciable level of wheel slip braking over stock?

I have no need for this but I completely understand “to see if I can” as a motivator of many things that others might not get or do because it doesn’t make “sense”.

I also like detailed “how I did it” posts because because while I already have the 5 speed CC, I may one day need to replace it.

:cheers:

This is pretty awesome....seriously considering....have you run the new controls through the paces? Do you think they're worthwhile?

This is pretty awesome....seriously considering....have you run the new controls through the paces? Do you think they're worthwhile?

Honestly I’m not sure! The total price in parts gets close to $2k and while I do love the new features, I would put it low down on the list of mods. I think this is more of a cherry on top type deal, once you’re happy with the rest of the mods you’ve done.

Honestly I’m not sure! The total price in parts gets close to $2k and while I do love the new features, I would put it low down on the list of mods. I think this is more of a cherry on top type deal, once you’re happy with the rest of the mods you’ve done.
Thanks! I think OTA and potentially MTS are of most interest...have you tried them out yet vs the normal atrac?

Ambitious and audacious work here @nwfl4runner !

I see you replaced the combination meter assembly. Did you find a cross-ref of the various enabled features for each? For example, I'd love to find one that had the Rear Diff Lock light, was compatible with a factory sub-tank, read in MPH, and used the Lexus single connector. Any idea how best to approach this?

So far I've looked up the part numbers in catalogs such as Partsouq, but there are enough supercessions and global models that I never know exactly what features each CMA will have.

Thanks! I think OTA and potentially MTS are of most interest...have you tried them out yet vs the normal atrac?
Yeah - OTA is fun, it sounds like it’s breaking but cool. Not sure about MTS yet, gonna find out this weekend!

Ambitious and audacious work here @nwfl4runner !

I see you replaced the combination meter assembly. Did you find a cross-ref of the various enabled features for each? For example, I'd love to find one that had the Rear Diff Lock light, was compatible with a factory sub-tank, read in MPH, and used the Lexus single connector. Any idea how best to approach this?

So far I've looked up the part numbers in catalogs such as Partsouq, but there are enough supercessions and global models that I never know exactly what features each CMA will have.

Thanks! what models came with the rear locker? Was it market specific? I bet we could figure it out

For the skid control ecu- a couple questions....is the part number for just that piece or the actuator assembly you mentioned?

Would adding this in also allow for the pre-crash system to be retrofitted?

Yeah - OTA is fun, it sounds like it’s breaking but cool. Not sure about MTS yet, gonna find out this weekend!

Thanks! what models came with the rear locker? Was it market specific? I bet we could figure it out
I’ve been cruising lx and tlc rear diff drawings for 30 min, just found a factory lsd, still looking for the locker. I think my quest won’t work, I didn’t find any lockers on the Lexus side, I’m looking at tlc now. I know these have different connections at the combination meter.

Here's a rear locker sub tank version of the TLC, it's a URJ202. One of these combination meters might work for the retrofit of the TLC. I haven't tried this part number on the LX side yet, but assume it'll fail do to the plugs being different. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Here's an even better one. This is GRJ200L-GPANKV, a TLC with AHC, Rear Locker, and Sub Tank.

Note all the variations on this TOC page for 8301: Meter
NumberNote
There are several options available for your car, pick the correct one.
8380060K00GRJ200..5FC
8380060K01GRJ200..5FC
8380060K02GRJ200..5FC
838006AD30GRJ200..5FC
838006AG80GRJ200..5FC
838006AG81GRJ200..ATM

Last edited:
This is awesome! Not sure I will ever be brave enough to get this done and the $2K - ouch !! may keep me away, but it is great !

Cheers !

Last edited:
While the connectors are different, I think the signal generation is the same. I bet if you repin the connectors they would work. We need to find an overseas digital repair manual!

While the connectors are different, I think the signal generation is the same. I bet if you repin the connectors they would work. We need to find an overseas digital repair manual!
I think you're right, but it gives me shivers - it's like 60 pins. I have looked at the FSM for GRJ200L and it is the TLC 2 plug Combination meter assembly. I was hoping since it was a TLC with AHC, it might be a 'rebranded' Lexus and use the single connector like the lexus.

I'll hop out of your MTS / Crawl / Turn assist thread now. :flush:

For the skid control ecu- a couple questions....is the part number for just that piece or the actuator assembly you mentioned?

Would adding this in also allow for the pre-crash system to be retrofitted?

man I slept this, sorry! The part number is for the skid ECU and master cylinder without the brake booster. Technically I think you could use this if you were to retrofit pre crash but there are a few other modules to add as well.

Toyota will only sell the master cylinder with or without the booster, you can’t buy the individual components to assemble the pieces (gaskets etc). The 2008+ use the same booster so you can retrofit and add yours if you want to buy a new assembly, but I think most I saw on eBay were actually selling the entire assembly for around $1k (same price as the new assembly from Toyota, sans booster)

So...I'm most of the way through this, first and foremost wanted to thank @nwfl4runner for the great guide and the [lots] of help via follow-up questions. Right now I've done everything except the Skid ECU/Master Cylinder replacement, and wanted to provide some feedback...

Parts
Generally I was able to find most of the parts via normal parts sites and/or eBay. The one 'gotcha' was the Combination Meter. This one is a little tricky in that it is still being manufactured, but it is not directly obvious. If you purchase via eBay (if you can find one), you'll have to deal with mileage reprogramming etc. Interestingly, the Lexus parts sites show the part as discontinued, however the Toyota Parts sites show it as available. I ended up ordering from ToyotaPartsDeal, and know there is a follow-up where they request VIN and mileage, they are actually completing a specific form on their side, and so when the part arrives, it is actually already programmed with the correct mileage, this makes the 'plug and play' that much better that there are no/minimal mileage concerns other than any delta mileage between when you supplied the number and when it arrived.

Process
First, one of the things I was concerned with was if this had to be done all at once, or if it could be done 'piecemeal' - the answer seems to be the latter, at each step through replacing different components I would take the care out, drive check functionality and nothing appeared to be directly compromised. By that same token, not all functionality will obviously work until everything is complete, but if you're concerned about have dead weight in your driveway until it's done- don't be.

Regarding the jumper for the Oil Sensor, I was a bit daft, but wanted to clarify that you are jumping the connectors of the oil sensor connector (when I first read it I thought it was still related to the Combination Meter). I created my own jumper wire, and that connection is a Weather Sealed TS 090 Male Connector, you can find the applicable pieces on places like Corsa etc. Just make sure you have the right crimper etc...once the jumper is made, pop out the existing plugs (I used the Wits End tool to push them out), pull out the locking mechanism and slide the plug ends through.

For routing the wires between the Skid ECU and the new Crawl Switch bank, I had not routed anything through the firewall before, so this was new for me. A couple things I did based on some other comments on the thread...I bundled the two wires with some 12ga solid copper and wrapped them in teflon tape. The solid copper gave extra rigidity to push through, and the teflon tape helped reduce friction. Not sure if this is normal, but the hood release cable was already going through one side of the plug, and I just followed along side it. Singe the movement of the cable is internal I don't immediately feel concerned about friction, but there may be others that have better ideas than I do. I may do some additional sealing etc afterwards. Since this was new for me I didn't know where the cable would come out, after some digging I found that it is coming out inside the driver footwell right above the 'footrest' side on the left hand side. I used some electrical tape to bundle the two wires to some large clusters as I routed it through.

For crimping the wires, definitely practice practice practice - went through many of the connectors, you're talking very small gauge (listed as 0.3, but appears to be 20-22ga in practice). Also if you're doing it in the middle of the night and you're tired, make sure you're adding pins to the right connector and have pulled out the security stop...otherwise you might end up with buried pins that hopefully won't cause any issues....guess how I know. :bang:

Goodies
While I'm not done yet, I wanted to comment on the new Combination Meter, in addition to enabling some of this functionality, it also adds in some other surprisingly nifty pieces:
  • Outside Temperature - silly, but on the Gen1, the Outside Temp is one of the screens you rotate between. On the Gen2 it has its own separate spot so you can see temp and mileage etc - who would have thought?!
  • Wheel Position - allows you to see the direction your wheels are pointed...a little silly since you can look at the steering wheel, but maybe helpful for some folks
  • Eco Mode - I had to pull up the Gen2 manual to see what this is about, and cracked me up at the same time. So for the ECT switch, when it is not in either PWR or 2nd (e.g. normal). There is an 'Eco' light that will pop on the Cluster to tell you that you're driving in a fuel efficient manner. Maybe using this I'll get 13.25MPG instead of 13 :rolleyes:

I'll add some more details as I have them, but feel free to ask questions too.

Well....it's done....definitely had some interesting experiences with the wiring and re-pinning.

@2001LC did a fantastic job on the replacement of the Master, and then we both fought with the wiring of the skid ecu. We ran into issues with getting some of the terminals out and getting them to release properly.

Eventually we were able to get the right terminals out and not need to replace the entire housing....just know that there are multiple latches to lock in the terminals, make sure they're each released, and then find the right technique for releasing the terminal. While we didn't end up replacing the housing, it did help a lot to have something to practice/work with that wasn't live. Unless you're a pro at doing terminal replacements etc, buy plenty of extras, practice, practice some more and then practice a few more times.

Go slow, be careful, if a terminal doesn't come out easily, try the release latch again. Don't pull so hard you disconnect the wire and are forced to find creative ways to fish out the connector ... UGH!

Once you get everything connected, make sure you read the Zero Conf instructions carefully, you need to run BOTH the Reset Memory AND Test Mode utilities out of Techstream. If you don't you'll continue to not only get VSC lights, but in the process it will prevent CRAWL, MTS, AHC and many other wonderful functions from working leading you on a wild goose chase triple-checking every new wire you just put in, moved etc.

I'd definitely put myself in the novice category for most car work, but I'm decently adept at troubleshooting - while this may be a lazy afternoon endeavor for someone that has done a lot of this type of work, I would definitely plan on more time than that if you aren't familiar with panel removal, have not worked on terminals before etc.

Overall I'm quite happy I went through it, and if nothing else I really do enjoy the new Combination Meter and the added functionality. I learned a lot, and this is a significant and worthwhile mod for us older LX owners (and likely a similar approach would work for LC as well - different combo meter needed etc). Big kudos to @nwfl4runner for blazing the trail here and kudos to @2001LC for the master replacement and late night electrical work.

Now that there are at least two that have done this mod, who will be next?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom