Grey 100 series build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been wanting a 100 series since about the first time I saw one. Well last November I decided to do something about it. I found this one on a car lot in Merriam. The price was right at $9999. Coincidentally the dealer was just a few blocks from Hendricks Lexus, so it was easy enough to take the VIN over and have them run the service history. Lots of big ticket items were already taken care of like timing belt, wheel bearings, etc. Here's what it looked like when I brought it home.
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg
IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

I still feel like I went way overboard with my white 80 series. So the plan for this one was to keep it simple but capable. I wanted something that would be a comfortable daily driver and family trip vehicle. To me simple but capable means...

- a good set of tires (number 1)
- a good suspension
- good baseline
- good comms gear (for remote areas)
- a few comfort mods

Luckily the previous owner and the dealership checked off a couple of those mods for me. First up 305/65/r18 BFG KO2's on 2016 Tundra wheels. This would have cost me close to $1400 just for the tires, so it was a great bonus.
IMG_0017.jpg

I wasn't sure what the extra switch was in the dash, but it turned out to be a Slee AHC override.
IMG_0018.jpg
IMG_0025.JPG

Then I found this in the glove box and some instructions on how to sync my phone to it. So I ended up having bluetooth interface.
IMG_0020.jpg

I wanted a way to store extra fuel for a coming trip. I threw this together out in the garage. I haven't heard any additional wind noise while it is unloaded. Depending on how the trip goes I may pull this one and make a longer one of similar design.
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG

Don’t give up on the AHC. If the globes are good and the shocks/rams aren’t leaking its a great setup. I did the sensor lift and cranked the front bars to get the pressures within spec on my current one. Still have the ability to go higher if needed via the switch and rides way better than a lifted conventional setup. Granted there are arguements to ditch it but I’ve had three 100s and one 200 with the AHC and have never had an issue. Also added bags inside the springs out back to help when towing. Had Mitch’s old 80 on a trailer all the way to AR with the bags at 25 lbs and the AHC was still within spec pressures. The LX 100s are my fav of all the series’. Sure the 80 could do more but for daily driving and occasional off-roading its really a great platform. Just can’t rock crawl as well as the 80 but we’ve relegated ourselves to overlanding so no issues for us.

Nice rack :) How did you wind up mounting that tray to the factory rails?

I bought some tabs from a local that slide into the factory rails. Pretty simple deal, can't remember who makes them but you just pull the factory load bars and put these in instead.

Might be the name of the guy I sold it too

Yeah, somebody cared enough about it to do Tundra rims and KO2's, plus the Slee AHC switch. It's been a good rig so far. Would be nice to talk to the previous owners and see what all had been done/ was wrong with it.

My main issue with it was the speedometer would not always go back to zero and replacing that part was potentially pricey. When I sold it there was a huge folder with receipts from Lexus on all the work that was done to it since new probably was lost when it ended up at a dealership.

My main issue with it was the speedometer would not always go back to zero and replacing that part was potentially pricey. When I sold it there was a huge folder with receipts from Lexus on all the work that was done to it since new probably was lost when it ended up at a dealership.

Bummer, wish i had that folder. I have noticed the speedometer is off at times. Was never sure what the deal was with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom