Grease on transfer case bearings?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Apologies in advance. I searched but could not find a clear answer. When rebuilding or resealing a transfer case, is it recommended or required to coat the output shaft bearings and the idler shaft bearings in grease?

I had to rush through my t case reseal. it had been about 8 years since I did it last. I only very lightly coated the idler shaft and bearings in grease. And I only very lightly coated the output shaft races in grease on the inside. When I say lightly, I mean a very very small amount..

After putting it all back together and driving it, I remember using a lot more grease on the shafts and bearings previously.

Thanks

-Bryan

the only reason for the grease is if you assemble and it sits for a longer time, drying up above the oil. But even if you oil a lot it's going to wash and break down pretty fast in the gear oil slurry.

You can assemble with gear oil too. and lube seals with it. Normally seals, orings etc get lubed in the oil they live in. But if a gear box was sitting a while you would want grease on it.

the only reason for the grease is if you assemble and it sits for a longer time, drying up above the oil. But even if you oil a lot it's going to wash and break down pretty fast in the gear oil slurry.

You can assemble with gear oil too. and lube seals with it. Normally seals, orings etc get lubed in the oil they live in. But if a gear box was sitting a while you would want grease on it.
It was sitting for a long time actually. Am I screwed?

I doubt there will be a problem. There are oil slingers inside made to throw gear oil up on the bearings. If the t'case is not in the truck yet you could fill it with gear oil and turn it upside down and on its left and right side to get the gears oiled.

Nothing you can do about it now. I wouldn't worry too much. The bottom cluster is submerged and oil moves pretty fast up to the input gear. If you're really freaking out with worry about it, pull the magnetic plug and see if any chips were knocked loose. I'll bet there will only be a few fuzzies. This will give you warm fuzzies and you can stop feeling like you've ruined your Cruiser.

It was sitting for a long time actually. Am I screwed?
My cruiser sits for 6-7 months every year, then I drive it. So the top end gets dry, but like said above it wets pretty quick.
I'd say your fine.

When a person coats their gears in grease before assembly, what grease do they use? Is it compatible with the gear oil.... That's always a thought too. Some greases are not suitable for mixing I would think. They make engine assembly grease, I would use that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom