Good place to get gears. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a good place to buy 4.88 or 5.29 ring and pinion. i know genuine gear sells it, but i am unwilling to buy anything important from 4wheelparts. i have also heard that both the 4.88's and the 5.29's require grinding of the ring gear to fit in the housing. Anybody have anything to say about that?

thanks for the help.

Jon :D

randy's ring and pinion sponsors some tlca events, so i'd purchase from them.

Randy's Ring & Pinion. I run the Yukon 4.88's in both my cruisers. I had about 100k on the 4.88's in the 93 cruiser I had

had a terrible experience with Randy's a few years back, I would use West coast differentials or any other TLC vendor.

I have purchased many, many gear sets from Randys over the past four years.

Have recieved nothing but great customer service and products from them.

Primairily 4:88/5:29 gear sets for Land Cruisers and Minis.

-Steve

just installed 5.29s that i got from randys via Edwin at LCS in austin. i did need to grind, but i chose to grind the housing instead of the gear....seemed like less work and the safer way to go.

[quote author=fj40john link=board=1;threadid=6399;start=msg56235#msg56235 date=1067380827]
just installed 5.29s that i got from randys via Edwin at LCS in austin. i did need to grind, but i chose to grind the housing instead of the gear....seemed like less work and the safer way to go.
[/quote]

Got a picture of the are that you removed material from?

I bought replacement 4.11 fine spline value gear R&P from Randy's awhile back to replace my coarse spline worn out R&P. Got a new fine spline yoke as well, despite this the pinion gear did not sit right, wasn't the right length, or something like that (I wasn't setting them up). Still haven't pursued the issue with Randy's so I don't know what the problem is, but I might be a little wary of using the value gear line or replacing a coarse spline R&P with a fine due to my problems.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=6399;start=msg56258#msg56258 date=1067382973]
I bought replacement 4.11 fine spline value gear R&P from Randy's awhile back to replace my coarse spline worn out R&P. Got a new fine spline yoke as well, despite this the pinion gear did not sit right, wasn't the right length, or something like that (I wasn't setting them up). Still haven't pursued the issue with Randy's so I don't know what the problem is, but I might be a little wary of using the value gear line or replacing a coarse spline R&P with a fine due to my problems.
[/quote]

Not trying to be an ass here,

Kinda silly to warn someone off about something that you do not know first hand, what is wrong...

Could be a number of things:

Wrong gear set for a Land Cruiser.
Wrong parts in box. (gears or bearings)
Person doing set up not skilled in the trade.
Inner bearing race not seated properly in housing, causing this situation.
Or a number of other issues...or any or all of the above. Not seeing this first hand leaves a lot of questions...

Not "defending" Randy's, just think that you should have FACTS before implying anything about a person or buisness.

-Steve

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=6399;start=msg56278#msg56278 date=1067385922]Wrong gear set for a Land Cruiser.
Wrong parts in box. (gears or bearings)
Person doing set up not skilled in the trade.
Inner bearing race not seated properly in housing, causing this situation.
[/quote]
You're right to question me Poser, I left some blanks
The mechanic that did the installation does have a lot of experience, known him literally all my life (lives around the block from my grandparents). He knows his shiz, has been setting up gears since before I was born.
I checked the bearing box labels, and that of the gearset. Both correct. The bearings I know are correct, the gearset was too close to not be correct, unless from another model cruiser thats different ???
I can't answer the last question. I don't know. The third is sitting in a 5 gal bucket in my garage. I can easily check it out if there is something I can look for. I also had another person skilled in setting up gears look at it, and he said it appeared to be set up correctly, couldn't tell what was the matter.
I would really like to know whats up, as I have a perfectly good third with new bearings seals and gears sitting in a bucket not being used.
I am planning on sending it back to Randy's to see whats up, as they may be the only ones that can tell me for sure.
Edit: The gears were also close enough that it could be driven with them in, albeit with a ton of vibration and racket, and abnormal wear.

[quote author=CruisinGA
Edit: The gears were also close enough that it could be driven with them in, albeit with a ton of vibration and racket, and abnormal wear.

I guess that whoever told you this, is not someone that I would have hold a flashlight, let alone set up gears.

Hopefully it was not your ace around the corner...this is sad....

WCD (west coast diffs.) was decent to deal with even though they sent me the wrong install kits... right boxes wrong parts, but they did correct it.

Went w/ 4.88s and had to grind a little off a couple teeth to get the pin back in the carrier. Couple of other guys I wheel w/ did it the same way and none of us have broken these yet... just teeth off of spider gears... but that's a different story.

jm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom