Good Enuf Seat Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our truck has had a leaking driver's seat since we bought it. Leaking? Yeah, leaking crumbling foam through a hole in the edge of the leather closest to the door, the place where the seat gets a lot of butt wear just getting in and out. After getting the seat extenders installed (thank you Landtank and Wits End), I decided it was time to fix this, as you felt like you were sitting left cheek low.

Ordered a seat cushion pad from partsouq.com on the third. It arrived yesterday (the 8th) so they had me pretty happy just getting it here that fast. Decided I had time to do the install, so pulled the seat and got to it. Turns out it was just a bit more complicated fix after I found this kludge.

qtuDK5.jpg

Looks like the seat had been previously repaired, but the scabby welds involved didn't hold. It explains more of the sagging, though. Maybe it was some sort of warranty repair or??

I don't weld, but didn't want to leave this thing flopping around. So I found a ~2" hose clamp, ran it through the seat frame to keep it from walking, then tightened it up. This worked well to tie down the loose end, yet allowed it to move with the truck while minimizing sagging.

S2IT6E.jpg

I was a little concerned about the hose clamp damaging the new foam, so I picked a spot carefully. A check on things showed it was tucked out of the way.

2BY8aQ.jpg

What about the hole where this project started? It was too big to ignore, so I trimmed it a little, sewed it some, then cut a piece out of a nice mechanics fender pad. I usedsome RTV silicone to keep it from moving around. Looks OK if new leather isn't in the budget.

ibdQBK.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom