Going back n' forth on 285/75/17 tires...not a 'will it fit' post (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
I've been on the fence about which 285/75/17 set to buy. My vehicle is 07 LX, ahc delete, 2 inch lift, yes 1.25 spacers.

My priority is looking good in the mall and my driveway, but as soon as my kids get a little less little, (3 kids under age 4 currently) we will definitely be doing some light trails and camping, I don't need or want a mud terrain tire.

I've had numerous sets of BFG KO2s and they have always done well, but I always find them to run short, BFG claims their 285/75/17 is 33.9 inches tall. I'm skeptical.

My current choices are the Cooper Discvoery ST maxx, coming in at just over 34", but another Mudder here said he didn't really love them aesthetically.

Any other opinions, loves or hates in the 285/75/17 size?

I'd love to mount the 35's I just got, but can't justify the collateral damage to my MPG, my CV's and my steering rack that is on AT-205 life support...
20200229_122722 (1).jpg

Go for what looks best, and lasts the longest.. in terms of wheeling, 1/2 more of ground clearance will not be much of a difference IMO.

I have a used set of Cooper ST MAXX right now; pretty amazing how quiet these have been compared to my Toyos

I’m waiting for my 17” wheels to arrive. I’m deciding between ST Maxx and Falken Wildpeak A/T 3W, same size (285/75R17). I view the Falkens as similar to the KO2 but they seem to be reviewed better in just about every criteria. Probably a better rolling tire on road than the Coopers. Plus they’re from Japan, like your truck. Worth a look.

I found my KO2 performance would drop noticeably once I got down to maybe 50% tread. I hope both these options might be better.

I agree with @DTCsk8er, my st maxx have been outstanding and do well in the sharp south west rocks, aired down or normally. Also the thread dept of the st maxx seems to be never wearing and deep.

I’m waiting for my 17” wheels to arrive. I’m deciding between ST Maxx and Falken Wildpeak A/T 3W, same size (285/75R17). I view the Falkens as similar to the KO2 but they seem to be reviewed better in just about every criteria. Probably a better rolling tire on road than the Coopers. Plus they’re from Japan, like your truck. Worth a look.

I found my KO2 performance would drop noticeably once I got down to maybe 50% tread. I hope both these options might be better.

thanks, good info. I'll look at Falkens.

Still searching for the right 285/75/17. I was wondering if anybody had feedback on these tires?

First is a Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT. It's E load range and about the lightest tire of the 285/75 group at 58 lbs. The sidewall is not super aggressive and it gets mostly positive reviews.
DiscovererAT3XLT.jpg

The second is the redesigned ToyoOpen Country A/T III which just came to the market. It has a C and E load option , is also pretty light for an All Terrain tire, and has a better looking sidewall IMO . Here it is...

OpenCountryATIII.jpg

Good old BFG Ko2's are still an option but I don't want anything more aggressive than a BFG...

Ordered a set of 295/70/R18 Falken wildpeaks yesterday. Reviews look good. Solid AT tire, aesthetics are meh IMO though.

Terra grappler, perhaps?

I'm a big fan of the Terra Grappler, but they're definitely on the aggressive side of an AT. A little more road noise, looks a little rowdier.

The Bridgestone Revo is more chill on the road but still capable and look rugged enough for the parking lot, worth looking into.

ST Maxx's are more aggressive looking than most of the other tires mentioned here in my opinion

But they're halfway between an A/T and a M/T in every way. Noise, weight etc.

I love mine and they seem indestructible, but I probably wouldn't want them if it was mainly for looks.

Ordered a set of 295/70/R18 Falken wildpeaks yesterday. Reviews look good. Solid AT tire, aesthetics are meh IMO though.
I was on the fence about the Wildpeaks, my neighbor has them and they are pretty sidewall aggressive, excellent reviews though...

ST Maxx's are more aggressive looking than most of the other tires mentioned here in my opinion

But they're halfway between an A/T and a M/T in every way. Noise, weight etc.

I love mine and they seem indestructible, but I probably wouldn't want them if it was mainly for looks.
ST Maxx's are the most expensive of the lot mentioned here. If I could justify using a tire that aggressive I would likely go with those...

I rock the 285-75-17 KO2's. I love the tires and I haven't gone through a set to determine how long they last. All I can say is that this is the perfect tire size for my 100. I love the look and its will fulfill all my offroad needs.

Based on my experience, I have the Toyo Open Country A/T 2's Load Range E on both my vehicles (including my 2001 LC) and couldn't give a better recommendation for a tire. Durable, wear well, easy to balance, etc. Not super quiet though.

The only tires I can offer an opinion on are the S/T Maxx. Had them in 285/75r17 most recently, but I've had 4 sets in total over the last few years. Two on my Tacoma, two on the 100, only switching sets because of wheel changes/size upgrades. I never once had a flat. Pulled 3 or 4 screws out over the years but they never hurt the tires. Super tough sidewalls, which was important to me in Utah. I drive maybe 400 miles a month with 100 of those offroad in sharp high desert rock. I think they look good too. Super heavy though, at about 60 lbs per tire in that size.

CJ608mr.jpg

Overkill for what you're looking for though I think. I had AT3s on a Subaru a long time ago and had a very good experience with them. Good in snow and dirt, and never had a flat either. In fact I was thinking about getting a less aggressive set of tires on my stock wheels for a second/winter set and those were the first tires I was researching.

I rock the 285-75-17 KO2's. I love the tires and I haven't gone through a set to determine how long they last. All I can say is that this is the perfect tire size for my 100. I love the look and its will fulfill all my offroad needs.
Would you mind posting a pic or two of the 285/75/17? I've had quite a few BFG's , I have 275/70/18's right now on my LX. BFG's always seem to run small so I'm curious if you think the 285/75/17s run small...

The only tires I can offer an opinion on are the S/T Maxx. Had them in 285/75r17 most recently, but I've had 4 sets in total over the last few years. Two on my Tacoma, two on the 100, only switching sets because of wheel changes/size upgrades. I never once had a flat. Pulled 3 or 4 screws out over the years but they never hurt the tires. Super tough sidewalls, which was important to me in Utah. I drive maybe 400 miles a month with 100 of those offroad in sharp high desert rock. I think they look good too. Super heavy though, at about 60 lbs per tire in that size.

CJ608mr.jpg

Overkill for what you're looking for though I think. I had AT3s on a Subaru a long time ago and had a very good experience with them. Good in snow and dirt, and never had a flat either. In fact I was thinking about getting a less aggressive set of tires on my stock wheels for a second/winter set and those were the first tires I was researching.
Wow the Cooper STs on those wheel are gorgeous...

I've had a few of these tires so can share experience. (2 sets of the falkens) (1 set of AT3's). Every one of the options you've picked are great tires so this is more of subjective notes. We put about 10k total miles on our cruiser a year. It breaks down this way: about 100 miles in 4LO, 500 miles of low maintenance roads, 1k of gravel driving, 500 miles of towing, and 50/50 - town/highway for the rest.

Falkens: Have 50k miles of experience on these (on second set) with my LC.
Pros:
Have worn well. Quiet on road. Handle well in turns, wet roads, gravel, etc. I like that they don't collect hundreds of small rocks like other AT's I've had - throwing off high speed balance. Sidewalls are very tough, they handle being aired down (low) very well. They just do not "chunk" like BFG's I've had before, and personally I think they look great.
Cons: Man these are heavy - so are all LT's. Each time I've bought 5 tires, and one just wouldn't balance right. Discount is always cool and swapped them, issue gone. LT's ride a lot rougher than P rated, noticeably rougher than C. I'd consider that.

Coopers: I have 30k of experience with these on my 1st Gen Tundra. Man are these good tires, and at such a great price.
Pros:
Have worn awesome. On road performance is fantastic - very quiet, soak up imperfections, handle adverse road conditions, shockingly good in the snow. I think its the case of them being load C's. They balanced very easily and never had any vibrations or anything weird. These things do very well off-road when you air them down. Seems like there are usually a $50-70 visa card rebate going.
Cons: they don't look as aggressive, but I don't care. I wouldn't air them down as much as an LT just to keep the sidewall from folding. They pick up very small pebbles more easily than larger lug tires, but I never noticed balancing issues because of it.

Toyo Open Country AT2's: The guys that work on the drilling rigs all over Colorado seem to run these on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks almost exclusively. Have heard from a lot of folks that they are super durable tires and wear like iron on the heavier trucks.

If I didn't have a fresh set of the Falken's on the LC now (they looked good in the store and the Cooper's were just a little more money) I'd put the Coopers on this thing instead. They are that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom