Builds Goat. A 1967 survivor FJ-45 LWB (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok I googled brake nail cuz I’m ignorant (maybe old is an excuse?) and scanned through pages of how to prevent finger nails from breaking (note spelling - sheez internet, what was Al Gore thinking?). Did you know that chewing your nails can lead to breakage (not brakage lol). But I digress. What’s a brake nail? :hillbilly:

Figure 7-5 on page 7-8 of FSM shows both springs behind shoes. And I heard from many sage mechanics to put one in front and one behind. So of course there’s a lot of confusion and debate about this. :bang:

I think what Jim is saying is that if I don’t have the nails to hold the shoes then the only way the setup works is for both springs to be inside like I have them.

In order to upgrade or update my shoes I can add nails and offset the springs.

I’m not sure how this will add to the equation BUT if I can harvest enough ramped adjusters from the old stuff I’ve got a good feeling about that helping.

Hell, I may start by doing the front adjusters only with ramps.

With my proportion valve wide open I’m still getting a bit more bias to the rear.

Greatest learning thread ever. Forgotten what Trump has been up to in the last 24 hours. Ramps, Springs, shoes, adjusters, a goat that lives for 100 years or more, fj45 skids on turf, breaking nails, biting nails, all hands on deck from our TEQ brainiacs, jaw dropping patina..... riveting. Didn’t realize I could hold off pissing for this long. Looking to see if Amazon fulfillment can drop off a package of depends diapers within the hour so I can keep tethered.

All kidding a side. As always @wngrog has a contagious story style. Keep it coming. We appreciate all you do. First class.

So wehre we at? You harvest ramps?

I
So wehre we at? You harvest ramps?

It is on hold. Im on a 10 day trip starting in Johnson Valley California for a Yokohama tire launch. Then I head to Death Valley and across to Colorado.

I’ll harvest Ramps upon my return.

Woody is here with me.

C888E8A2-A6B6-4BA1-8A64-6F33360B1042.jpeg
F05F2E63-C986-4ADE-91AB-CC424C4AC6E2.jpeg
B895AA53-1B9F-4F89-A9DA-5259B0F18301.jpeg
C367CFBE-2507-4959-9159-542790C360A5.jpeg
6D0FD1F2-7582-46DB-8171-C077B370A822.jpeg

I guess yokis only fit jeeps, eh?

After a 10 day trip I was ready to try the ramped adjusters on the Goat.

I got in there are replaced them and snugged up the adjusters to where the fronts turned by hand but would free spin about 1/2 turn without stopping.

00282FF6-DE30-49E8-BB07-EF466CA6988D.jpeg
92D50F63-DEC7-40C5-877B-D1B81544B9C7.jpeg
424B2998-7706-463E-B16E-550914EA58B8.jpeg

And took it out for a spin.

With the proportion valve fully open (which makes the rear brakes have less pressure) I have full 4 wheel, mostly straight lock up.

6243DC7F-D7DB-4B9F-A2D1-C8D017034A82.jpeg

AFTER one pump still.

Did I tell you how bad I hate 4 wheel drum brakes?

Figure 7-5 on page 7-8 of FSM shows both springs behind shoes. And I heard from many sage mechanics to put one in front and one behind. So of course there’s a lot of confusion and debate about this. :bang:

I think I have the answer here.

I’m not sure what year the brake nails came into play but in 1967 they were not used.

I also found that I had none in my box of Brake crap. I was going to add them this morning

Well, without nails , the shoes will not stay against the backing plate with one spring forward and one in back.

So. On the early, pre nail shoes, both spring to the back.

I’ll get motivated one day to get rid of this one-pump brake system and when I do I’m going to add pins and new springs and see if somehow that helps.

For now I’m sick of fooling with them and am going to move on to other projects.

Like driving it.

C78BAD91-B681-40B6-8CFD-FC32C33C71B9.jpeg

Truck looks great.

I gave up on the drums long ago but will not start a debate on discs vs drums. I converted to 4 wheel discs after realizing I wasn’t going to keep the 45 100% original and didn’t have the time to keep up on driving/adjusting etc. They need attention.

Once we were expecting our daughter I sourced an axle, all the parts and have never looked back. Felt better about driving around with her knowing the brakes were a little more reliable.

Yes. As you know I have and have had lots of Cruisers but I’ve never had a fully original one.

The PO owned this truck for 47 years and never modified it at all.

For what I do with it, I’ll make the OEM setup work. As I said, it stops like a mofo but it’s a full pump to get there.

I’m off mechanically somewhere. I’ll figure it out eventually or not.

I have a strong desire to keep this truck as stock as possible.

Oh yeah. 4 wheel drums suck still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom