GM Tilt Steering Wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a 1975 FJ40 with SAG Power Steering Conversion. Would like to put in a GM (?) Tilt Wheel. Anyone have any suggestions on what the pitfalls may be. what needs to be done? How do I hang it from the dash and connect it through the firewall to the steering joint I already have on the set-up (universal joint just past the firewall in the engine compartment).

anyone know how much a column would run from a junk yard?

Appreciate any input.

D. Kane

Get one long enough to have an easy reach to. My first one was too short. The wipers are a pain to wire. Just use the stock switch. Texican uses the non-multi-tasking handle after he pulls the old one out and throws it in the bushes. They are junk anyway. Very easy to mount to the dash. A pillow block bushing is the best way to mount it to the fire wall. Check out the tech pages.

Cost is wholly dependant on your area and the individual junk yards. You can check car-parts.com for prices.

I bought mine with a Chevy column already installed and I think its great. Its from a '79 Camaro (PO told me) and has a tilt wheel. He made mine look as good as stock. They also added Saginaw power steering when they put on the column. Only thing I think is dumb is the key whole in the column that is now an empty whole because my ignition is in the dash. Also, with the older columns you won't have to worry about having a million non functional switches (wipers, high beams, etc.).

I'm doing a ground up resto on my 77 FJ40 right now and I'm putting in a Saginaw power steering kit from Advance adapters. I plan on using a GM column myself. Advance adapters makes a plate/block that mounts in the stock firewall position to give it a factory/professional look, probably easy also. They make 2 different ones, 1 for a 2" GM column and the other for a 2 1/2" GM column.

If you go that route you would have to find the column first so you would know which one to get? All I have done so far is welded on my plates and got my sector mounted. Awaiting a new tub before I get to the Column stuff?

Also got my saginaw pump mount for a 2F from Bill Dorry today. Looks very nice and professional, you can tell he is a machiniest. Hopefully I will have some pics of it mounted on my web site in the next few days. :)

http://ccor.topcities.com

Matt

I put an Olds 442(1970 If I remember correctly) Tilt column in my 68 FJ40. Also saginaw P.S.
I use the GM ignition, turn signals, horn and dimmers.
Those functions wired up nicely to the OEM circuits.
I copied a few pages from the GM manual for the Olds with the electrical info and made a "cross-over" drawing to mate the OEM with the GM.
As mentioned by others, I'd keep the OEM wiper and 4-way switches.
The physical mount of the column was fairly easy. I didn't buy any adapters or other gadgets.
I can send pix if you want.
Paul

Yes I would agree with paul use the ignition on the column and turn ,horn and hazards depending on year of column mine came out of 75 nova with no wipers on column pretty easy wire job and happy with the way It turned out.Hanging it from column welded a 2 1/2" muffler clap on inside of firewell painted it black and no one knows the diff went down to pull a part and grabbed a factory hanger for the dash and cut down welded it and painted It,done in solid works great

I put an Olds 442(1970 If I remember correctly) Tilt column in my 68 FJ40. Also saginaw P.S.
I use the GM ignition, turn signals, horn and dimmers.
Those functions wired up nicely to the OEM circuits.
I copied a few pages from the GM manual for the Olds with the electrical info and made a "cross-over" drawing to mate the OEM with the GM.
As mentioned by others, I'd keep the OEM wiper and 4-way switches.
The physical mount of the column was fairly easy. I didn't buy any adapters or other gadgets.
I can send pix if you want.
Paul
Post them here if you can...or e-mail them to me. thanks!

Here are some pictures of my column.
When you go to the junkyard......
Get the mounting clamps and bolts,
the wiring, as much as possible, cut it way downstream of all of the connectors.
Be sure to get the ignition key if it's there.
While you are under the dash, go ahead and get other goodies like flashers.
I didn't see aneed for any fancy bearing block where it goes through the firewall. I cut a real good fitting rubber widget from a piece of conveyor belt and use the OEM bolt arrangement.
It doesn't move a bit. The FJ dash is real stout where the column bolts up.
Mine has the wheel lock lever intact. It used to hook to the GM floor shift linkage and locked the car in Park when the wheel is locked. It can be cut off if you want to.
Good Luck
Paul

Matt -- how's your saginaw pump mount look? get it installed yet? pics?

I'm not happy w/ the setup I have so I'm looking for something better, preferably adjustable rather than using an idler pulley for adjustment.

Any contact info for Bill if he's still selling brackets?

thx, jm

Don't limit yourself to the GM column. Chrysler, IH and AMC All used and still use GM's columns. This gives you more options

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom