Glow plug relay problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 24V - 1981 BJ42 with a 3B(-T) from a 1983 BJ60. It has been working well until recently. I found my glow system is acting up.

I get good glow and quick startup all the time. Recently, the truck began leaving the glow plugs powered all the time (switch off, truck running, etc).

What I experience is: I turn the switch backward to power the glow plugs, wait ~15 seconds, then start. The glow indicator lights up around 12-15 seconds. I found a couple of times, it stayed glowing even after that. The first time, I kept playing with the switch and eventually got it to shut down after ~10 minutes. The next time, today, I could not get it off after 10 minutes, and disconnected the battery at the "fusible link", which shut it down then, but I found when I re-connected the fusible link, it powered back up, without the key.

I then pulled apart the ignition switch and that did not help (got the springs to go everywhere, that was fun putting back together). I found the glow relay and messed with it. I found the thing that shut it down was unplugging the ignition switch side and unbolting from the body. Then when I reconnected, it was off. I could turn it back on with the switch and then it would stay on. I took apart the relay and it looks OK inside, very clean, no burn marks or anything. Not sure what I am looking at more than that. After leaving it alone for an hour, I re-bolted it to the body and reconnected. It now works correctly, but I am afraid it will happen again in a few days, probably when I need to use the truck and cant spend the time messing with it.

P.S. I have the dash glow switch as well and have used that as well, for more glow when it is ~30F. I originally thought that switch was sticking and I pulled the switch connector while the glow system would not shut off and there was no change. So does not seem to be that switch.

So, my question: What is the problem? Do I need to get a new relay? is there something else I am missing?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.

Sounds like the contacts of the glow relay were stuck. It happens sometimes even when the contacts are clean and shiny. Next time it happens tap on the relay housing. If that solves the problem, you can try to clean the contacts.
If not..... find a new relay (which is hard to find but you never know).
Another solution is to find a 24V starter relay as a replacement.

Rudi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom