Giant nav screen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Avoid them. I did this in my GX470 and it was a mistake. Search for my user name and the words Tesla screen.

I recommend just getting a GROM or other similar unit that just uses your factory screen. The GROM unit in my 2010 works perfectly fine if I plug in my phone for carplay.

They have group buys occasionally and I was able to get mine from one of the last ones. Here’s their product site link.

It is worth the $$. With it being an android-based device you can install various apps on it. Torque Pro is one of those apps that’s insanely useful. Here’s a pic of carplay (Waze).

B013DE88-61E5-4681-AAFC-06C77553219B.jpeg

Be aware if you go the Grom route......some people have great results, others mediocre and others absolutely horrible. There are FB groups for it and you can read for hours on the issues people have with it. I have the Grom in my 2013 which uses the same model for your 2011. I would put mine in the mediocre results when I plug my phone into it and absolutely horrible results using the wireless connection. I gave up on and turned off the wireless connection a long time ago as I plug my phone in anyway to keep it charged when I'm in the car. I don't really daily my GX as I work from home but also have a company vehicle so while it is frustrating at times I have not been frustrated enough to yank the system out.

So, here is how things go for me. I start the GX and wait for the Grom to boot up. If it doesn't "re-boot" with a tone when it's done, I have to re-boot it manually before I ever plug in. If I don't then the screen freezes and I either have to unplug and re-plug the Grom at the brain (which is in the glove box) or I have to re-start the truck. If not, I can only connect the phone to the head unit via bluetooth or listen to the radio (who does that :( ). Now, when it's working, it's great.......except when it isn't. It will just drop out occasionally, although that doesn't happen very often. But the only way to get it back is to re-boot the system.

I will say that if I had to do it again, I would go a different route. I personally don't think it's worth the $500 price tag.

Ha-ha! It was $500.00 when you bought it!
Now:
1670251880272.png

Bang Bang, do you have the "New VL2"? If not, I wonder if they've fixed all the issues with the new release?

I have ATOTO in two other cars. I’ll probably just get another one of those. Their tech support is outstanding. Quick response. Discounts on my next purchase.

Regarding the giant Tesla-style screens, I have one in my GX and like it. They definitely can be buggy, however, and require external firmware updates to run a bit better. I would consider them not-DIY friendly....if you are OK with messing with software/firmware updates, they can be a good option. I really like being able to run full-screen mapping software on it for backcountry navigation.

That being said - if I had a non-nav GX - I would definitely go with a more conventional double-DIN head unit like an ATOTO. The Tesla-style screen also has some glare issues (just not bright enough for direct sunlight) that true head units often do not heave.

Which one did you get?
Phoenix PX6 for my 470. It was in it when I purchased it. I probably would not have bought it on my own as I'm usually leery of sketchy foreign products like this, but I have gotten to like it.

It's also running the updated firmware from Sergey - but it's a bit of a process to install it. All of the steering wheel buttons work perfectly - they did not before the Sergey firmware install.

With GROM, do the steering wheel buttons still work? (volume, phone, forward/backward)

Ha-ha! It was $500.00 when you bought it!
Now:
View attachment 3185669
Bang Bang, do you have the "New VL2"? If not, I wonder if they've fixed all the issues with the new release?
Yeah, I got it on a group buy and added 2 cables to my order so it was right around $500. And I think the group buys still going save you $150 off the web price. As for the version, yes, it's the VL2 and I have updated all the software / firmware as recommended by their support folks. I have to give them props for their support. They respond faster than most and do their best to help. It's just that for the issues I'm having they can't figure out where the issue is (and I'm not the only one with this issue). I have sent them logs of the unit and everything. Great concept but not a great performance.

As for steering wheel controls, yes, they all work as they should.

I have ATOTO in two other cars. I’ll probably just get another one of those. Their tech support is outstanding. Quick response. Discounts on my next purchase.
Don't see how that is gonna work with the a/c controls integrated into the stock head unit. But if you have a way, fill me in. For $200 I'll make that jump.

Yeah, I got it on a group buy and added 2 cables to my order so it was right around $500. And I think the group buys still going save you $150 off the web price. As for the version, yes, it's the VL2 and I have updated all the software / firmware as recommended by their support folks. I have to give them props for their support. They respond faster than most and do their best to help. It's just that for the issues I'm having they can't figure out where the issue is (and I'm not the only one with this issue). I have sent them logs of the unit and everything. Great concept but not a great performance.

As for steering wheel controls, yes, they all work as they should.
Can you please link the group buy you sourced the GROM from?

With GROM, do the steering wheel buttons still work? (volume, phone, forward/backward)
Yea. Mine all work

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom