Getting Neglected A/C going (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oil is not removed during the vacuuming process. It is mostly suspended in the refrigerant and 'most' is lost when a system is 'evacuated' BUT in the case of leak (especially a slow leak) some amount of residual oil will pool in the lines, condenser, evaporator and drier. How much...is anyone's guess. That it is why it is best to flush a system that has been sitting for awhile or the condition of which is unknown.

Most systems (empty) will require 7-8 ozs (total system including the compressor). Too much oil will result in poor A/C performance, too little (significant amount) will result in decreased compressor life.

this system never leaked for me. It had a motor swapped in shortly before I bought it and my feeling is the AC was probably disconnected during that time. I know nothing about the condition of the AC before that time.

I put about 3.5oz (combined) in the compressor and spun it around by hand and down the high pressure line into the condenser which I had flushed. . Once I get the belt on I’ll jump the pressure switch and see if I can get the clutch to engage. I’ll post back then.

Well she’s blowing cold. Haven’t taken it for a drive yet. We’ll see if it lasts.

Old expansion valve was stuck.

*PSA* if you can avoid using GPD parts do it! The Orings are too small and the holes in the expansion valve were too small - the factory pipes would not fit. I bought a Denso expansion valve and it fit perfectly.

Thanks everyone for the help and information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom