Getting my first FJ-40, need info on passing smog in CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The parts are year and state/Fed/country specific. Haynes manual was my resource, but there are likely others that are just as good.

Getting what you need as a set will be very challenging, but not impossible. Try posting a “Wanted” in the Classified forum?
Is the equipment year specific? Is there a list of what I would need anywhere? Can I get it as a set?

The parts are year and state/Fed/country specific. Haynes manual was my resource, but there are likely others that are just as good.

Getting what you need as a set will be very challenging, but not impossible. Try posting a “Wanted” in the Classified forum?
Ok, thanks for the info

I've gone through this with a few older vehicles, and IMO it's worth getting 75 or earlier for the smog exemption just so you don't have to deal with the headache every two years. I think 75 is the best (because I have one) and because you get the major upgrades like the 2F, 4 speed, and ambulance doors. What it doesn't have (power steering, disc brakes, AC, etc can be added. Smog exemption is something that can't be changed. I'd would even consider buying a earlier frame and swapping everything over just for the smog exemption alone. The smog test requirement really limits what modifications you can make to the engine such as swapping carbs, adding fuel injection, head swaps, engine swaps, etc. And any type of engine modification has to have the CARB certification to be legal, which further limit your choices and make it even more expensive. Even the catalytic converters (if equipped with one) have CA legal versions which are checked at the emissions testing. Doesn't matter if the modifications improve the emissions, CA doesn't care, all it cares about is if it follows the books.

Every year that passes it gets harder and harder to find working equipment that's constantly going obsolete, so even if you pass this year, what's going to happen the next time? One important thing to note is you are exempt from the biannual smog testing. Technically you should still be in compliance with all the emissions laws so that doesn't mean you can scrap all your smog equipment and become a gross polluter. But that's a grey area depending on who you ask

I just noticed you said you're from bakersfield. The smog regulations might be different in Kern county, but what I said might still apply because if you ever decide to sell the vehicle in the future or move somewhere else, that smog requirement really affects your choices. Some people are still able to keep their vehicles registered in a different county to get around the rules, but not every has that option.

I've gone through this with a few older vehicles, and IMO it's worth getting 75 or earlier for the smog exemption just so you don't have to deal with the headache every two years. I think 75 is the best (because I have one) and because you get the major upgrades like the 2F, 4 speed, and ambulance doors. What it doesn't have (power steering, disc brakes, AC, etc can be added. Smog exemption is something that can't be changed. I'd would even consider buying a earlier frame and swapping everything over just for the smog exemption alone. The smog test requirement really limits what modifications you can make to the engine such as swapping carbs, adding fuel injection, head swaps, engine swaps, etc. And any type of engine modification has to have the CARB certification to be legal, which further limit your choices and make it even more expensive. Even the catalytic converters (if equipped with one) have CA legal versions which are checked at the emissions testing. Doesn't matter if the modifications improve the emissions, CA doesn't care, all it cares about is if it follows the books.

Every year that passes it gets harder and harder to find working equipment that's constantly going obsolete, so even if you pass this year, what's going to happen the next time? One important thing to note is you are exempt from the biannual smog testing. Technically you should still be in compliance with all the emissions laws so that doesn't mean you can scrap all your smog equipment and become a gross polluter. But that's a grey area depending on who you ask

I've been through this, too (too many times). And agree wholeheartedly with @Downey, and @ducktapeguy is spot-on. IF you can find all the right pieces, the cost to round everything up is a huge unknown, and what do you do if you can't find everything you need?. 2x on the '75 or older.

There is another option if money is no object, you're not a purist and you're set on the 1980 FJ40: you could throw in a GM E-ROD motor and trans ;). I mean, who could pass up 430 smog-legal horses??? (for only $16,000)

I just noticed you said you're from bakersfield. The smog regulations might be different in Kern county, but what I said might still apply because if you ever decide to sell the vehicle in the future or move somewhere else, that smog requirement really affects your choices. Some people are still able to keep their vehicles registered in a different county to get around the rules, but not every has that option.

I live in Shasta County, same burdensome smog regs as the rest of the state. However, just up I-5 in Siskyou County, totally different!

I live in Shasta County, same burdensome smog regs as the rest of the state. However, just up I-5 in Siskyou County, totally different!
[/QUOTE
I think I’m going to wait to find a pre ‘76 40. That smog stuff seems stressful. Thank you all so much and it was nice to see there are some Land Cruiser guys in my home town. I wish you all the best. Thank you

Smog is always a challenge in CA, but once you get it together and if you're going for stock it can work. My 78 (federal) was missing quite a few parts, vacuum lines, etc. I got a 78 emissions book (reprint from Toyota), found parts (Mark's Off Road, etc.) and after a couple years working out the kinks, rebuilding the carb a few times changing jets it now seems to always pass smog and the Dyno. But it was always a crap shoot until I got that last carb jet in place :).

It's no less here than anywhere else. We have the full testing/regulations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom