Getting back in after 10 years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
It’s been 10 years since my last landcruiser (1985 fj60) and I’ve been looking for another as a project. I started this past Saturday with a 195k mile, 1990 62 and had a couple questions.
  1. At around 2200 rpm, there is a vibration in the steering wheel & driveline that slowy fades away at around 3000 rpm. The seller thinks it is a bad injector, but I don’t agree since it’s felt in every gear and there doesn’t seem to be miss or hesitation- acceleration seems fine, it’s just accompanied by the shuddering/vibration.
  2. Tie rod ends have recently been replaced, but the steering still feels pretty vague and loose- I think I’ve found a couple posts related to fixing that.
  3. The seller also informed me that the O2 sensor is not connected or missing- how many oxygen sensors does the 62 have and how do they affect engine operation?
  4. Idle seemed pretty low- around 575 in park and 525 in gear- does that sound right?
Another thing I noticed- the 60’s & 62’s around here (michigan) have a lot more rust than 10 years ago.;p This one had some oddball spots around the side vents and in the middle of the doors, in addition to the usual rocker & rear quarter rust.

Thanks for the help & advice.
John

the vibration sound like the tires need ballancing...or bent rim

stearing box has an adustment screw on it on the side...i think...i'm more of a fj40 guy...so maybe somebody else will chime in to conferm

o2 sensor i have no clue :) too new for me :)

some pics of the rust?

jonah welcome back.... always good to see someone return or even a new face within the community.

1. I agree with Johnny. Improperly worn tires can cause the vibration at the steering wheel. Things I would do other then the obvious replacement with new tires. Also put in a new steering stabilizer. I have an Old Man Emu on mine and love it. Also check for worn parts within the steering system. Wheel alignment.

2. I usually start with moving the steering wheel back and forth. Im not making any attempt to make the tires move. I just want to see how much play there is prior to the steering box. You can see if there are worn parts by having someone do this for you and watching the steering joints and the nice rubber disc that seems to be bad on many of the trucks I buy.
If that seems good then I have the person move the wheels back and forth while watching the steering system underneath the truck. Watch for play in the components. He might have replaced them but you never know what kind of job someone does. Even a professional makes mistakes. You might also identify something that wasnt replaced or is lose. I have never adjusted the steering box on an FJ62. I have done a number of FJ55's and Fj40's.

3. There are two O2 sensors. They are both located in front of each cat.

4. I bought an 1990 FJ62 that was from Illinois. The rockers are cancered out. There is some cancer on the lower edge of the doors. The lower tailgate is cancered out to the point it is about to fall off. There is cancer in the hood nose and in the front fenders on a couple places. But the roof is solid with no rust, the A,B,C and D pillars are rust free, the floors are solid. My other FJ62 was form Texas and it has no rust what so ever.

MiniPigg,

How would you compare your 55 to your 62. I can imagine the obvious differences in brakes, steering, and interior accesories- but which one did you enjoy more? Amid all the rusted older cruisers for sale around here, I found a pretty clean 1974 fj55. It hasn't ran in 15 years, needs a clutch, paint is very faded, and interior has been removed- but all the parts are there and the body has very little rust. I've always liked the 55, but felt it was too primitive compared to the 60/62.

I'll post pics of the rust on the 62 tonight

thanks- I wish this community was around the last time I had my 60!

I disagree with the tires or wheel line or thinking. You said its at 2200 to 3000 rpm's in any gear. This will rule out the tires, wheels or diveshafts as they will be MPH related not comming and going through each gear. This has to be in the engine or transmission as its hits a certain revolution speed. It sounds like something is vibrating in responce to the truck reaching a certain RPM. Possible a heat shield or something else that is loose.

I disagree with the tires or wheel line or thinking. You said its at 2200 to 3000 rpm's in any gear. This will rule out the tires, wheels or diveshafts as they will be MPH related not comming and going through each gear. This has to be in the engine or transmission as its hits a certain revolution speed. It sounds like something is vibrating in responce to the truck reaching a certain RPM. Possible a heat shield or something else that is loose.

good point...i am in agreement with you...I missed that it was in each gear at that rpm range

If you put the cruiser in park and bring the engine up to 2200 rpm – do you still sense a shutter/vibration ?

In answer to 55 or 60 have operated both off and on road with 200,000miles or more in each model. The 60 is more advanced and the 62 is downright plush in comparison. I once rolled my 55 on a side hill in tennessee and just took a high lift jack rolled it back on it's wheels checked the oil and drove home stout rig to say the least and it was stock. Love, both styles and perfer what I can get now with little rust. Both have there own attitude and you will just have to try the ride you perfer. Or get one and then later get another either way your good. P.S. I think it's something with the engine I would try to see if the noise vibration was there at a steady rpm in neutral as someone else suggested and maybe have some one help you and video parts as you held the engine constant in the vibration, that way you and your assistant can look for the wobbly parts.

MiniPigg,

How would you compare your 55 to your 62. I can imagine the obvious differences in brakes, steering, and interior accesories- but which one did you enjoy more? Amid all the rusted older cruisers for sale around here, I found a pretty clean 1974 fj55. It hasn't ran in 15 years, needs a clutch, paint is very faded, and interior has been removed- but all the parts are there and the body has very little rust. I've always liked the 55, but felt it was too primitive compared to the 60/62.

I'll post pics of the rust on the 62 tonight

thanks- I wish this community was around the last time I had my 60!

Pretty much the same people are all here from the cruiser mailing list.

Diff between the 55 and 62... It is a night and day different.

Remember the FJ55 was the first 4 door wagon intended for military and civilian use. It was designed to support a family. All other cruiser wagons continued to develop for the civilian market and became more luxurious with each model. These models are still used in their primary role as a military vehicle.

Well the 55 is like driving a tractor. Brakes are ample as drums but with front dics brakes its much better. The 55 sports a spartan interior with only a heater. Some dealers installed A/C. If you are lucky there is a factory radio with one speaker. No carpet but there is the wonderful rubber floor mat that covers the whole floor and it laid over the metal of the tub. Can be very noisy in the cabin at highway speeds. Power steering in 1978 and 1979. No power windows or door locks. Front bench seat can be testing on long trips.

Now for the Fj62. We have pretty much always owned an FJ55. It was our daily driver. A few times we only had an FJ55 as our only vehicle. I have a few hundred thousand miles under my belt with just the FJ55. When we bought our first 1988 FJ62 it felt as if we stepped through a time dimensional doorway into the future.
Much more plush. Did not feel like I was sitting in or driving a farm tractor. Brakes worked much better and you could actually carry on a good conversation on long trips. It felt like we were in a modern luxury truck. Everything was so much better and comfortable.

Now our priorities with our cruisers are as follows. The FJ55 is being restored and is on the back burner. The 1989 FJ62 is having the engine rebuilt and will become the new daily driver. I own another 1990 FJ62 that is a cancer queen. That one is just in the back ground for now. Later this year we are going to be looking to buy an 1997 FZJ80 to become the new family wagon. And we will be buying another used VW TDI for better fuel economy. Our last Jetta TDI got between 40-45mpg in town and 50+ mpg on highway commute. The mileage got even better on trips.

Good question- I wish I would have thought of that during the test drive.

Im a bit dense at times. I cant remember if we asked about the suspension and if it is lift or stock? A lifted suspension can create driveshaft harmonics due to the front driveshaft being pulled out past it's recommended length. I have also experienced the shuddering steering wheel.

Also when driving regular and not watching the tach, is there a certain speed the steering wheel shudder and vibration takes place and does it improve again when you slow down?

Its hard to diagnose a problem without actually seeing and hearing the truck.

Bad Transfer case idler gear can cause the vibration you mentioned.

I think the truck has been lifted 1.5-2".

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've put together another list of items to take a closer look at.

Just heard back from the seller- he can't tell any noticeable shuddering when revving it in neutral. Sounds like I should focus more on the driveline & wheels?

Still cant be in the wheels or driveline because they speed up in a constant relationship with the truck speed. There is no way that they would cause a problem at different speed but in the same RMP band. It has to be something that is vibrating in relation to the engine speed and you cant always find that with it in neutral. Put another way if it was in the wheels or drive line it would happen at a certain speed reguardless of what gear you were in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom