Gearing Solutions - Crawler Gear$$$$$ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tigerstripe40 said:
I did my SM420 for about $600 including a new transmission.

New Old Stock SM420 $380 shopped to my front door
SM420 adapter plate (found used) $50
pilot bearing and retainer ring $25
new clutch plate $16
Bell housing and 3 spd front driveshaft ~$50
New input gear to mate the 4 speed t-case to the SM420 $80

Total gear reduction is about 56:1, which is perfect for almost everything I like to do.

I would like a LITTLE more gearing, but I don't really see it as a problem.

Why did you go to a 3 spd driveshaft? is it a different length?

jcj_78FJ40 said:
Why did you go to a 3 spd driveshaft? is it a different length?

I needed the slip yoke off of the 3 spd driveshaft. the u-joint yoke is a smaller diameter than the 4 speed driveshaft. This is done so that you don't have interferance issues with the tranny reverse hump.

You actually have to grind that yoke down a little bit to get it to clear. But it's ~10 minues with a grinder, and you arne't taking material off from anywhere it really makes a strength difference.

Tigerstripe40 said:
I needed the slip yoke off of the 3 spd driveshaft. the u-joint yoke is a smaller diameter than the 4 speed driveshaft. This is done so that you don't have interferance issues with the tranny reverse hump.

You actually have to grind that yoke down a little bit to get it to clear. But it's ~10 minues with a grinder, and you arne't taking material off from anywhere it really makes a strength difference.

Got ya--Thanks

green40 said:
Can someone explain to me why there isn't the option of different gearing available for the stock transfer case?
Just a rookie trying to think!
Lane
Check MarlinCrawler or Adavnced Adaptors I believe both sell gear sets for a stock case conversion.

rusty_tlc said:
Check MarlinCrawler or Adavnced Adaptors I believe both sell gear sets for a stock case conversion.

Those Advance Adapters gearsets are only avaiable for the split case (8/80 and later).

Marlin used to make a gear set for the oklder one piece cases. I think that gearset would be PERFECT for my application.
But Marlin stopped making them, and they are EXTREMELY rare.

Tigerstripe40 said:
Those Advance Adapters gearsets are only avaiable for the split case (8/80 and later).

Marlin used to make a gear set for the oklder one piece cases. I think that gearset would be PERFECT for my application.
But Marlin stopped making them, and they are EXTREMELY rare.
Call Advanced Adaptors. Since they started selling the Orion case they may be selling the 4.0:1 gear set by itself. The way the Orion case instructions were written makes me think this.

Well, advance adapters are getting there lower gears for the Orion from somewere. It would seem like they would be interchangable with the other non Orion transfer cases. Unless the bearings are different...

rusty_tlc said:
Call Advanced Adaptors. Since they started selling the Orion case they may be selling the 4.0:1 gear set by itself. The way the Orion case instructions were written makes me think this.

I wish it were that simple...

You need the additional 1" or so of clearance inside the t-case that the Cast iron Orion case provides for the 4:1 gearsets.

Marlins gearset was ~3:1 and fit the stock t-case with minimal grinding.

Besides, I feel (and this is my silly A#$ opinion) that 4:1 with an SM420 is too low for most situations.

Ok,

Still wondering how this can be done for 600, like you guys mention.

Advance adapters charges $185 for SM420 to 2F adaption. This is part number 712520
Advance adapters charges $513 for SM420 to toyota T-case adaption. This is part number 502601

Are there other options? Seems a bit ridiculous doesn't it? Over 500 bucks to mount the tcase to the tranny?

What a nightmare.....

Last edited:
Tigerstripe40 said:
Marlins gearset was ~3:1 and fit the stock t-case with minimal grinding.

Besides, I feel (and this is my silly A#$ opinion) that 4:1 with an SM420 is too low for most situations.

" minimal grinding "

ha ha ha...

I do not think that taking a circular saw with a metal cutting wheel to a case is "minimal grinding "....Not even Marlin called it that....

After having just returned from playing in the boulders in the Black Hills, I was VERY HAPPY to be able to use the 148:1 first gear low range that my 420, 4.3 Atlas and 4.88 gears provided for me. All depends on where you want to run your junk I guess...

:beer:

-Steve

dmaddox said:
What a nightmare.....

:rolleyes:

Dude-

Get a grip.

If this is so difficult for you to get your head around, perhaps a Land Cruiser hobby is not for you....

This has been done, I would bet for more years than you have been alive, by thousands of people by now, and IS NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL!

Use the SEACH function. :rolleyes:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/search.php?searchid=411010

For christ sake Bailey just got done doing one, PM him.

This has been wrote up and is in the Tech links, a fine article by Charlie( Pin Head ) and there are others...

http://members.cox.net/cglabe1/SM420/sm420.html

http://www.menet.umn.edu/~vandeven/sm420.html

Stop your whining.

There are many people out here that have done this, myself included that will help you with SPECIFIC issues if you run into something that possibly has not been coverd out here. A little research before crying about things would go a long way here man...

It really is not this god damn difficult....

And again, since it seems like you missed it the first go around:

ANY modification worth doing to your vehicle is not going to be cheap. Land Cruisers are not a cheap hobby/sport/addiction/affliction/ whatever label you want to give it. This is a reality, not an opinon.

Good luck!

-Steve

Last edited:
dmaddox said:
I appreciate your kindness......I hope we can meet one day - so that I might be able to hopefully learn that these words are simply an admirable personality trait and not an attempt to belittle.

-ragman

I am giving you s***.... this is FAR from a nightmare pal...

This really is not that tough, and doing a little research/leg work on your own, would have provided you answers to your questions.....

But,

I am VERY SERIOUS about this:

" ANY modification worth doing to your vehicle is not going to be cheap. Land Cruisers are not a cheap hobby/sport/addiction/affliction/ whatever label you want to give it. This is a reality, not an opinon."

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
This really is not that tough, and doing a little research/leg work on your own, would have provided you answers to your questions.....

www.ih8mud.com technical links
www.advanceadapters.com
www.pirate4x4.com
LCML
www.marlincrawler.com
http://www.wardensautorepair.com/ (dead on my end)
www.manymore.com

The legwork is the nightmare man! Each one of the links above has a different way of doing it.

I posted this topic not to "whine, piss, moan, bellyache" but to simply say, OK, this is what I have, in this big pool of info available on this topic, and the umpteen ways of doing it:

1. What worked for you guys
2. What is the chapest method
3. etc..

So I only have a few posts - this does not mean I have to be treated like a noob....

The more I use this forum, the more it bites me in the ass..... (insert napolean dynamite..."such an idiot, gosh...")

ragman

arent we here to help one another?
not to be pirate 4x4

just trying to gather info and like he said" who has done what,and whats the cheapest"
we dont need to rag on anyone,do we?

dmaddox said:
The more I use this forum, the more it bites me in the ass..... (insert napolean dynamite..."such an idiot, gosh...")

ragman

I hear on Pirate they are a lot nicer ;)

The reason there are so amny variables is because there are always a bunch of ways to do things.

Lots of people have great luck doing things different ways.

I was very happy with a SM420/3 speed tcase for a while.

Now I am 200:1 kinda stupid low but it is fun ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom