Gearing Solutions - Crawler Gear$$$$$ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmaddox So I only have a few posts - this does not mean I have to be treated like a noob.... The more I use this forum said:
post count does not mean s*** to me.....

Purchased my plate adapters, and all other goodies from Classic Cruisers in Salida CO. Pretty sure they do not make the 420 set up any longer, only the 465. Give them a call, 888- 376- 2420 Toll Free, right up your alley...

http://www.classiccruisers.com/

if the sacasm that you have recieved along with the help seems to have too much of an edge, then perhaps there is some truth to it....otherwise it would not really matter....would it? :)

Good luck!

-Steve

a> it's only poser.....'nuf said

b> seriously, there are 100 ways to correctly install this stuff....the writeups you see are excellent guidelines for your own project, but no two people do it exactlee the same, nor should they. My SM465 writeup was done completely WITHOUT the internet....think of the possibilities now...lol

pick your gearing, stick with your choice, select a plate vendor you like (Classic is my LAST FINAL EVER choice, personally), and run with it. Once you have it apart, expect to pop us with odd questions you can't find a solution to in one of the writeups.

oh, and welcome noob :D

BTW: I have poser's cell...want it? :flipoff2:

(you owe me beerz in 2 weeks, ass.....callin me when it's frickin 8 gabillion degrees out and I gotta torque 80 susp crap to 130 ftlbs layin on my sweaty ass....bastid,....)

Poser said:
:ANY modification worth doing to your vehicle is not going to be cheap. Land Cruisers are not a cheap hobby/sport/addiction/affliction/ whatever label you want to give it. This is a reality, not an opinon.
:beer:

This part applies to me, with the cruiser sitting in the driveway I started to collect watches for fun...Those Rolexes ain't too expensive compared to what I dumped into the truck and yet still needs more works. At least I get most of my money back whenever got tired of watches...But Cruiser is more fun...

Btw, I'm running H41 and an Orion which costs the same as an Omega dive watch.

/td

Crusers are not cheap and you will find that as soon as you get done with one thing, you will want to do another. I just got done with the sm465 and 3 speed case and now I am installing a toybox and split case. If you try and go cheap then you wont be happy. I have had my cruiser for about 2.5 years and dumped a lot of money in it. I dont keep receiped for one reason, I dont want to know what I have spent.

AlaskanWheeler said:
Well, advance adapters are getting there lower gears for the Orion from somewere. It would seem like they would be interchangable with the other non Orion transfer cases. Unless the bearings are different...
As I understand it they are made by the OEM gear vendor. I didn't actually compare them side by side but I'm pretty sure the bearings are the same.

Edit: Note to self read all the new post before hitting reply.

I forgot about the extra room needed for the bigger gears.

Last edited:
There are a lot of cheaper options if you want a great trail rig. For me it was a choice between a toyota truck and my cruiser. I could build a truck cheaper, but I would have had to give up my Crusier. Just not enough room on this urban lot for all my toys. I chose my Cruiser.

I love Cruisers, my first car was a Cruiser. The decision to go to the next level with mine was an emotional one, not a logical one.

BTW I spent two years reading forums and researching before I charged the first part to my credit card. The work was worth the effort.

One more observation, this forum is why nicer to the novice than most. Thanks everybody.

rusty_tlc said:
As I understand it they are made by the OEM gear vendor. I didn't actually compare them side by side but I'm pretty sure the bearings are the same.

Edit: Note to self read all the new post before hitting reply.

I forgot about the extra room needed for the bigger gears.

AND-

that the counter-shaft is larger in diameter, and would not fit in a stock case...

just pony up for the Orion....

Good luck!

-Steve

my suggestion is to do your upgrades in the following order:

start with your existing motor, stock 4-speed, and stock t-case

1> $200 for the 4-speed to 3-speed t-case conversion, plus $150 for a case and $150 for the rebuild kit...install behind a spare 4-speed so your downtime is minimal, discover that tranny has a bad shaft, change it back in 2 hours....

2> purchase a plate adapter from CC, a SM465, the crossmember and slave stuff from AA, and source the bolts that CC doesn't include in their kit (and, create your own instructions, since none are included)....that process outta run ya...hhhmmm...$375+$45+$50+$100+$50...or so... (I got lucky, with my AA V8 conversion, I didin't need driveshaft work...and don't forget to just sell the previous setup for 50% of it's new value)

3> run this for a couple years....then decide you wanna do a doubler....so, source a minitruck case (have it on the shelf still), source a split case (have that also on the shelf), then wheel a few times with your buddies and realize maybe an automatic would be fun....so push those items to the back burner, and source a 700R (free, damn I was lucky), dump $1k into building that, then a D300 with the good stuff for another $1500, then new shafts (oops, 2-piece front, $600 by itself), adapters and other crap for prices I choose to block out, then make your own rear centered diff cause yer too damn broke to put in anything else....and, while yer at it, sell your exisitng tires and rims, planning to upgrade, then find out the beadlock rims you ordered are gonna arrive 3 months after your event schedule, and the tires you were planning on running are also behind at the factory, so order up a 2nd set of BL's ($1100) and tires ($1100) to run for a few months while the original set of BL's ($1100) and tires ($1000) are finished up.....

welcome to my world, 2005....lol

IMO, your best/fastest/easiest/instant gratification option is the Orion. All the others have the opportunity to nickle/dime you to death as "additional" adjustments arise....skidplate, driveshafts, shifters, adapters, hardware...all that crap adds up quickly, and painfully....hell, I've got nearly $100 in bushings on my rig, plus all custom mounts....the Orion is literally a "bolt and go" install, and makes most things painless...AND, it's a quality enuf case to get you thru the next couple installments of your buildup as well.

my question is.........

WHAT KINDA WORK DO YOU ALL DO TO AFFORD THESE KINDA MODIFICATION?

poor white boy asking :frown: :frown: :crybaby: ;)

I am but a simple Water Boy....

2badfjs said:
my question is.........

this is actually the first ever year I took my $1000/year budget and tossed it in the crapper totally....but doing all the things I wanted to do ended up costing me...normally I stick pretty close to that, and have for the past ~10 years....

I sold my SM465/plate/case/skid...and sold my 38.5 SX's and rims....and a handful of other things outta the shop....

oh, double income, no kids too :flipoff2:

Fortunately, the mod expense for this year won't be repeated for quite some time (hush, Mace!)

:flipoff2:

where are those 60's????

oh yeah, dual kids one income ;)

2badfjs said:
my question is.........

Well...

I am a poo white boy too.

The way I can afford it is
no kids
Single.
very little debt
No big payments (student loans, car payments, house payments, etc).

That said, my Land Cruiser takes ALOT of my disposable income.

I gave up stuff. Eating lunch out at work, replacing my worn out truck, beer (not ;) ).

"and sold my 38.5 SX's and rims"
Bwawahhhhhaaaa.. Ya know you could have just held onto those things till after Katemcy and it would have saved ya about $2000..

Afford the hobby? Buy Woodys old junk, Or Nolens or other when they get tired of it.. That's the economical way to build a truck.. Gears? Go big or go home! With an auto, don't need to go past 100:1 or you can't stop it(my experience).. With a stick, sky's the limit..
And quit dating for a month or two.. That'll almost buy a doubler if you can go 3 months without dating..

2badfjs said:
my question is.........

ever hear of overtime??, most of my cruiser is built with O/T.

Last edited:
No kids, no wife, been living Land Cruisers since '88, and working ALL THE TIME....

Brian-

Great detailed write up out here. It makes me laugh. Tim did that three speed case to the four speed trans swap, netting you 33:1. Whooptie fing do. Novelty at best, even with those 33’s. :rolleyes:
No single component gives you more bang for the buck than a GM trans swap, hands down. The 420 that I put in my truck is one of the top five things that I have ever done to it, other than 4 wheel discs, Saginaw steering, oh, and getting rid of those Fing Birfields.

Makes operating the vehicle so much more enjoyable off road, even on the easy stuff….and makes the hard stuff….a breeze!

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom