gear ratios (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what will the change in gear ratios be if i change my tires from stock to 33's and how much does it cost to change the gear ratio :bounce:

You'll find a huge variety of answers on this topic if you search using words like 33 tire, new tires, etc.

Here's a quick and dirty answer...
Assuming you have an 84 (from your name) then you've got 3.70 axles. Going to 4.11 with 33's will take you back to stock ratio. Cost to do this depends on how you do it. Take it somewhere, do it yourself, used, new, etc. You can get used 3rd members from fj62's that bolt right in, but there's a lot of labor to do it. Check out Cruiserparts.net for prices. You can also get new ring/pinion, and prices are available through one or more of the various cruiser sites.

Note: there are a couple of tire/gear calculators on the web. Tirerack has a bunch. The TLCA website has a few also.

tire size

its a 84 fj60 33x10.5

Last edited:
i just went to the 33threes on my 83. it threw off the speedo about 8 miles per hour. so when im reading 50 im about 58 mph. rubber overdrive----- i like it!!!!! bob

Axle Gearing

All Land Cruisers came from the factory with 4.11 axle gearing other than 1979 and later FJ40 models and all FJ60 models which came with 3.73 axle gearing.
In 1988, FJ62 models were returned to 4.11 axle gearing.

For upgrades to FJ60s, use this guide to have your axle gearing returned to stock ratios:

Stock 235 tires = 3.73 axle gearing
31" tires = 4.11 axle gearing
33" tires = 4.56 axle gearing
35" tires = 4.88 axle gearing
38" tires = 5.29 axle gearing*

*may require some grinding into the axle housing.

These gear ratios are approximate and will not bring your gear ratio exactly back to stock ratio but they should be somewhat similar.

It is also widely recommended, particularly with lower output engines (F, 2F, 2H, B, 3B) to run one axle gear lower for more power.

For applying gear ratios to 4.11 ratios, use the same guide above but skip ahead to the next level.

I did not like the 33x10's and 3.73's in my 60, I swaped to 4:10's and I LOVE it.

cost, well if you find a set of fj62 3rds its not spendy, if you swap RP like I did its about $250 each end.......and its a good time to toss a locker in ;)

Divide the new tire size 33" by the stock size which was a 235/74R15 or ~28". Comes to 18% increase. So what ever you spedo says mutliply it by 1.18 to get your actual speed. Remember most tires do not actually measure to the size they are called. I.E. most 33's will meause like 32.6 or so.
I liked my 33s on stock gearing and like my 34's on stock gearing as well. If you do much starting on a steep incline without switching to 4low you will smoke that clutch! My guess is if it's mostly flat where you are you'll like the rubber overdrive cause 4wheel low will still take good care of you off road.

Chris

Interesting note: my Nov 85 built FJ60 - 35x12.50s, 4.11 gears. My speedo says high side between 40 - 45 mph while going 45 mph.... The ratios would have me believe my spedo would read tad under 40...

I am running 32x11.5 with 4.11 on my 60 and my speedo is dead on at 45 with the radar setups on the side of the road.

I have 33 12.5's and stock gears - the speedo at 50mph really equalls 58 and change on the GPS. At 60+ mph the difference is around 10mph.

NocalFJ60 said:
I am running 32x11.5 with 4.11 on my 60 and my speedo is dead on at 45 with the radar setups on the side of the road.

RPMs?

cruisin84 said:
what will the change in gear ratios be if i change my tires from stock to 33's and how much does it cost to change the gear ratio :bounce:

What are you driving?

M

fj 60 stock as of now

kwon-offroad said:

I am not positive will have to check but I think abour 2300rpm at 45mph in 4th. I can go 70-75mph just fine on the highway around 3100 rpm. If you are really interested PM later and I will give you a accurate number.

Hey everyone,

This is an old thread but I'll try anyway. I'm driving an 88, FJ62 with 33" tires. I don't know if the previous owner installed new gearing, but I'm starting to think so. I do not have the option of opening the differential and check right now and I am curious as a ***********.

I did a test with speedometer vs. GPS speed. Results were as follows:
Speedometer / GPS speed
40 / 42
60 / 64
80 / 83
100 / 105

From these results it looks like the previous owner did change the gearing. I found that my stock ratio is 4.11. Is it correct that there's no chance of knowing what is without opening up?

Hope you can help a rookie out.

You can just jack up the car and rotate the tires relative to the drive shaft and work it out, you don't need to pull anything apart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom