1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gear lube stink

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by folsom50, Sep 29, 2003.

1. folsom50

folsom50

Media:
    Well, I got my motor out of the 40 and it's at the machine shop. When I was taking the flywheel off, the 6 bolts that hold it on all came out wet and reeking of gear oil, burnt gear oil, so much so that it stunk up the garage...this normal? The clutch disc, pressure plate, and gear box input shaft where dry.

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    What you are encountering is not gear oil. It is a normal odor from all sorts of engine fasteners removed after a long time running. Head bolts, main bearing cap bolts, Flywheel bolts, ETC. The oil present during assembly of said components is never "changed", therefore it "sours" for lack of a better explanation.

D-

3. folsom50

folsom50

Media:
    thanks, it brought out some concern as I couldn't figure out how the hell gear oil could find it's way into the threads. Buy a box of standard "black" bolts from certain suppliers and they are covered with a dark yellow oil, make's perfect sense.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">