Builds GCRad1's 1992 ADV80 LAND CRUISER (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

just found this thread a couple days ago, and bought my first land cruiser in December! a 3fe like this one! I just wanted to check in (even if no one sees this) and say thank you for how much stuff this thread has helped me with. she is mostly mechanically sound from what I know, other than a broken speed sensor. parts are hard to find up here in Canada! my cruiser still has the semi-floater rear axle (which I wish I could replace with a ff)but in the next month she should be getting some 4.88 gears, a 3 inch dobinsons lift, and some 35’s on her! bumpers and maybe sliders should be coming soon as well!

#rodneysaiditsok

just found this thread a couple days ago, and bought my first land cruiser in December! a 3fe like this one! I just wanted to check in (even if no one sees this) and say thank you for how much stuff this thread has helped me with. she is mostly mechanically sound from what I know, other than a broken speed sensor. parts are hard to find up here in Canada! my cruiser still has the semi-floater rear axle (which I wish I could replace with a ff)but in the next month she should be getting some 4.88 gears, a 3 inch dobinsons lift, and some 35’s on her! bumpers and maybe sliders should be coming soon as well!
MASSIVE THANK YOU!!! I just hopped into my thread here for the first time in a while! SO MUCH has gone on in life since my last post from I dont event know when... BUT, I feel more change in the wind coming and maybe... Just maybe I will get back to posting!!! 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Any up dates?!?!?
THANK YOU FOR ASKING!!!!

HOPEFULLY SOON!

But too, I am sure there are some postings that I need to do in order to bring this ol' dusty thread current!

this whole 34 pages is the best
Why thank you sir! It's been so long since I've been in my own thread, I don't even remember whats on page-34! hehehe I will go check it out to refresh myself! Hopefully it will inspire me to get back to posting and bring the thread current with the rig!

Picking up where I left off: MARCH - ADV80 PREP FOR BB500 2018

It's always fun to meet up with other TLC owners! Mr. Alex here was a Yotamasters customer just before me, back at the old shop! But I never got to meet him then and I think he had a different 80 then too. Alex loves to have everything squeaky clean! I offered my services of "desert pinstriping" his rig for him, but he declined my offer.
GO FIGURE!

On another note... It's been a while since I've last posted and it seems things have changed! The Mud forum here is on some new platform and the way I use to post my images with "[img/]url-to-imge.jpg" is not working the way it use to. But too, Flickr has new owners so some things may have changed on that side... So yeah, sorry for the boarders on my images going forward unless someone gives me some new pointers... NO, no I am not going to load all those images directly up into here, as that would take forever, hunting them down on all my hard-drives!!! GEEEZ! Scary! Things are changing! hehehehe as they do...

Yotamasters old shop just to remind those who know or dont know..[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(255, 255, 255)]https://flic.kr/p/7bwZEf <- what the heck, now I can't post my second image... Good Grief Charlie Brown!!! RE-learning curve is set to DIFFicult! OK, let's just chalk this post up as a testing 1-2-3, GCRad1 is back from nineteen ninety-nine!

[MEDIA=flickr]7bwZEf[/MEDIA] Well that didn't work either... It's like how did I even do the first image... ???[/COLOR] :frown: 🤔:notworthy:

Our annual BB500 DESERT TRIP - MARCH 16 - 18, 2018
IMG_3718.JPG

The 1992 3FE has seen some miles and is about to take on another grueling BB500 desert trip!
IMG_3717.JPG

This has typically been my youngest daughter's annual desert trip with me, but she is under the weather and will not be going. It's a sad moment for us both as it's been awesome having her along on this trips!

IMG_3727.JPG
Getting out of Southern California on a Thursday afternoon! The traffic from Costa Mesa to Corona - typical!
IMG_3734.JPG

Up on the Cajon Pass, I've been spying this little dirt road! Didn't go far..
IMG_3736.JPG

Now i'm on the more desolate HWY395 headed towards Ridgecrest.

Last edited:
Our annual BB500 DESERT TRIP - MARCH 16 - 18, 2018
YOTAMASTERS BB500 2018 DEATH VALLEY_-0.jpg

The annual BB500 Trip has been one of which I have been very proud to be included into! Through my association with Yotamasters, I have made some great friends even if this is the one time each year I get to see them again. Once again, I am excited and heck to get back out here with the crew! Dan sent out the coordinates to the meeting spot. Typically its a Thursday night meet up in a remote area of the desert near where we will start the weekends trail. This time I think we are between Ransburg and Ridgecrest, California just off the HWY395.
YOTAMASTERS BB500 2018 DEATH VALLEY_-5.jpg

Our little makeshift camp.
YOTAMASTERS BB500 2018 DEATH VALLEY_-12.jpg

Being a gear junkie, I like to check out how everyone is camping, tent setups etc.
YOTAMASTERS BB500 2018 DEATH VALLEY_-14.jpg
YOTAMASTERS BB500 2018 DEATH VALLEY_-15.jpg

(side note) OK, so this is my first time posting in quite some time and under the new regime of 'MUD, I can only post 5-images, nor can I post from my hosted images, thus each post is limited to 5-images. OK, so much for long-format posting. Dang, I didn't even get warmed up!!!

SO as you see, we are not the "Gucci Squad" you see in Overland Magazine! Real desert folk here and a love it!

Last edited:
BB500 2018 Continued:
YOTAMASTERS BB500 2018 DEATH VALLEY_-18.jpg
YOTAMASTERS BB500 2018 DEATH VALLEY_-17.jpg

YOTAMASTERS BB500 2018 DEATH VALLEY_-21.jpg

The gang is all here, we share campfire stories into the night and tomorrow is just around the corner! Excitement is in the air!

_MG_0002.JPG
That's Dan on the right, this is his wife's rig! Yes, she drives her own rig! And you could say, we are all here because of her!

_MG_0003.JPG

I have an eye for fuel cans now! Some people know, some do not...

BB500 Continued:
_MG_0008.JPG

It's early morning and we break camp as quick as we can as we know we have a big day against us. The "500" in BB500 is 500-Miles, dirt miles of which we attempt each year over our three days. As the little group somehow seems to get bigger each year, the potential for "issues" increases. But we are all prepared!

_MG_0042.JPG

Our first trail section..
_MG_0009.JPG

And we are chomping at the bit to get going!
_MG_0074.JPG

This is what we came for... DESERT!

_MG_0079.JPG

Some little tiny town in the middle of nowhere! It's always amazing at the things you come across out here! The harshest of conditions, yet some somehow call it home. Not that there is anything wrong with that, these folks might have their priorities correct. I guess I am just always intrigued...

BB500 2018 Continued:
_MG_0087.JPG

We see some snow on the distant mountains!
_MG_0089.JPG

One minute we are just cruising across the desert plains and the next we are hanging out on a big drop overlook!

_MG_0090.JPG

The desert is simply NOT SIMPLE! So many textures, so many surfaces, so many varying landscapes!
_MG_0091.JPG
_MG_0095.JPG

And we get to drive through it all and experience it for all its greatness!

BB500 2018 Continued:
_MG_0107.JPG

So much goodness in this image! We love the wide variety of our group!
_MG_0122.JPG

Up and over the terrain and back on to the desert floor..
_MG_0124.JPG

_MG_0126.JPG

That one lone tree. He didn't like all his neighbors so he moved over a few hundred yards.
_MG_0128.JPG

The views, the views THE VIEWS!!!

BB500 2018 Continued:
_MG_0130.JPG

Yes, we have two 1st Gen Toyota's in the group! Both are highly photogenic or it that we are just enthusiastic about them? Most importantly, these rigs are proof you do not need all the bells and whistles to enjoy and explore the desert.
_MG_0135.JPG

_MG_0141.JPG

_MG_0142.JPG

_MG_0151.JPG

I love to hang back and see the crew running across the desert like this!

BB500 2018 Continued:
_MG_0159.JPG

A little dirt devil kicking up in the background as team rounds the corner.
_MG_0163.JPG

As we make our decent down into Saline Valley, the clouds start rolling in.
_MG_0164.JPG

By the time we reach the bottom floor, clouds have fully covered the sky.
_MG_0165.JPG

Day-1 is pretty much done and the ol' ADV80 has ran like a champ!
_MG_0167.JPG

Last edited:
BB500 2018 Continued:
IMG_3860.JPG

Missed this one of the ADV80 headed down into Saline Valley.
IMG_3885.JPG

We make camp for the night and wonder what those clouds will bring...
IMG_3886.JPG

IMG_3893.JPG

It's dinner time!
IMG_3892.JPG

If you look closely, you will see my sleeping bag is on the right and I still have my "Baja-Can's" set up inside from the BAJA 500 trip still. So three Jerry cans inside and three Jerry cans on the outside. Yes, I am carrying 30-gallons of gas on this trip! We have a lot of people on this trip and not everyone can carry fuel on their rigs yet. It's a bit excessive until its not!

Last edited:
IMG_3891.JPG

Good ol' JetBoil gets the job done! Spaghetti and Meat Sauce Mountain House is always at the top of my list!
IMG_3887.JPG

IMG_3894.JPG

IMG_3895.JPG

It starts off as a little fire, but it gets the job done!
IMG_3896.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom