Gauge Recommendations for HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got an HDJ81 to which I'm adding a GTurbo Red Wheel, PDI Airbox and intercooler, and an upgraded fuel pump and injectors.

What gauges/sensors do you recommend I install to go with these mods?

Thanks. Is there any reason some people want anything more than that like coolant temp, ammeter, etc?

Because they're obsessive with monitoring things and if they see a failure it's to late.

With a volt/ammeter typically the alternator rarely fails slowly. So if the ammeter is low it's to late.

Coolant is never a bad idea.

But with the pump injectors and big turbo egt is a must. Boost is a good idea to help in tuning. If the 81 is a 91-92 I'd recommend a trans gauge too.

Boost and EGT are useful for tuning, and then checking what's happening at times when you're working the engine hard.

If you've tuned correctly there should be little need to check boost or EGTs, except when you know you're working the engine hard.

If you're new to diesels in general, do some reading in the Diesel Tech section of the forums.
Lots of solid info on hdj80s.

An engine coolant temp monitor/ alarm is a good idea too. The Toyota factory temperature gauge is basically there to mock you AFTER you've overheated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom