Gauge lights troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D P

Threads
Hello everyone,

Having an issue where my gauge cluster lights aren't working. Haven't been working since I purchased the vehicle, but just getting around to troubleshooting.

I replaced the bulbs just to make sure, but that wasn't the issue. Checked the fuses and both the gauge (7.5A) and tail fuses (15A) are good.

Interestingly enough, I'm reading a 0V between the red with green stripe (12V+?) and white with black stripe (presumed ground?) of the bulb socket on my speedo. In fact, when I ground to the body, both are reading 12V+, WTH? Trying to trace it back to the connector, it seems I'm reading 12V+ from both the solid green (what seems like should be the actual positive) and white with green stripe (what looks to be the ground) in that gauges 4 pin connector.

So it seems like the ground for that 4 pin connector, and presumably others in the headlight cluster all have some fault and there is a short with the ground?

Anyone have a clue as to where I should be looking to next? Is there a common location where the ground could be faulty or am I stuck taking apart my dash to chase this gremlin?

On a related note, I tested the 3 pin plug going into the dimmer on the dash, it is getting 12V+ on the solid green as well as the white with green stripe when the lights are on but the dimmer is NOT connected. Shouldn't the white with green stripe on that plug read 0V if the dimmer isn't connected to it?

I'm confused and any help would be appreciated. I think I have the FSM somewhere and I'll try to find the wiring diagram, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before and has an obvious culprit I'm missing?

There is an aftermarket radio the PO put in, but it's currently unplugged and the wiring doesn't look that suspect, so I don't think it's arising from that.

Thanks in advance for help.

Just to clarify, this is just for illumination only. The gauges all work fine, I get indicators, hazards, warning lights (High Beam, battery, etc) but no illumination.

My thought is bad rheostat. Try discoing it and jumping the harness terminals.

There is a body ground under the dash by the relay panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom