Gauge cluster interchangability? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

frismanis

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.shayahealth.com
Ok, so I'm rewiring my 45 from tip to tail. The cluster that is currently in it has broken needles and a very bad paint job (I guess to match the rest of the truck). I have a perfect cluster out of a 69. Will it work, or are there changes in resistances or something like that?

thanks.

Great question! I was going to ask the same thing. Need a new one in the 65lv and I have one I could use from a 79 FJ40.

I'm assuming that will work, haven't tried yet though?

Matt

You want to stick to clusters that are 71 and older. They are interchangeable [except for the FJ25 stuff with the idiot lights] You can use 72s and 73s, but there are some nuanced differences. 74 and newer have different wiring and resistance.

I know cruisernerd cannot possibly avoid chiming in on this. ;p

65swb45 said:
You want to stick to clusters that are 71 and older. They are interchangeable [except for the FJ25 stuff with the idiot lights] You can use 72s and 73s, but there are some nuanced differences. 74 and newer have different wiring and resistance.

I know cruisernerd cannot possibly avoid chiming in on this. ;p

Hot damn! I'm set :bounce2:

So that's why my oil gauge is off the scale.Thank's mark :D

As far as fit it should be the same, physically fitting into the dash opening?

I'm using a 350 and my harness was toast so re-wiring anyway.

Matt

buckroseau said:
As far as fit it should be the same, physically fitting into the dash opening?

Matt

somewhat. my 76 cluster has the bolt holes just slightly off from the early dash. barely notice it, but its for sure off. Also, I ran into an issue on my FJ45pickup, with the RH turn signal light bulb holder contacts the pedal box before the cluster is fully seated against the dash, so you might need to modify as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom