Gates PowerGrip hose clamp experience? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So I've been reading a bit on these clamps, and they look like a pretty decent option for coolant hoses. They're a "permanent" clamp (removal destroys the clamp, and is difficult without the appropriate tool) and applied like shrink wrap. They're literally a high strength shrink wrap designed to seal coolant hoses. Curious if anyone has tried one on their 60 series and how they like them if they have. I'll be ordering a few to replace the worm gear style clamps on the hoses leading to my front and rear heater cores and see how they fare. Be nice to have a somewhat permanent, worry-free method to clamp hoses in place.

I've been using them on all my swaps for several years now, no issues. I even use them on AN push lock style fittings as a back up.

I used them on my 550HP big block C10 a few years back. Never a problem

Be careful when removing the rear heater hoses. The ports for the heater core are very soft. I crimped mine by accident and now need to figure out how to make Round again.

With one of these if you want to save the hose
91215.jpg

With one of these if you don't care about the hose

820909586067.jpg

Never used them but they look legit. That being said, for me, I want a clamp I can take off in the field and reuse without damaging the clamp or hose. I really like the Toyota-type clamps. I think they are better than the worm-gear clamps that always get over-tightened and damage the hose.

1584894739866.png

The purpose of the gates heat shrink tubing is for looks. It doesn't out perform the OE clamps. The large radiator hoses should ideally be clamped with a dynamic spring tensioned clamp (like what Toyota uses) because of the contraction & expansion of the rubber hose & metal fitting in freezing temperatures. While history shows those gates heat shrink tubes work - they're certainly not as bulletproof as a proper metal clamp.

The purpose of the gates heat shrink tubing is for looks. It doesn't out perform the OE clamps. The large radiator hoses should ideally be clamped with a dynamic spring tensioned clamp (like what Toyota uses) because of the contraction & expansion of the rubber hose & metal fitting in freezing temperatures. While history shows those gates heat shrink tubes work - they're certainly not as bulletproof as a proper metal clamp.

Actually, the Gates Power Grip clamps were originally developed for the very reason you stated. They were originally developed for use on big rigs in frigid temperatures where the huge swings in temperature between freezing cold and hot running temp combined with silicone hoses more often than not, lead to leaks. It was found that even if these clamps allowed a leak under frozen conditions they tighten up more with each heat cycle, leading to little or no leaks at all.

The fact that they look clean and professional is a great side benefit. If you are truly looking to be prepared on the trail, carrying extra hoses and steel clamps just makes sense no matter what clamps you already have on your hoses. As always, this is my OPINION and your results certainly may vary.

I think they look better on a proper engine as well :) Once again, OPINION
18836002_1538702212827331_376067191113151148_n.jpg

Okay so here's something that's confusing me is sizing for the clamps. Assuming I'm figuring this right, you want a clamp with a measurement range that the OD of your hose sits within, correct?

This related, but.......
Where is the aftermarket can you buy the constant tension spring loaded radiator hose clamps? I understand the short comings of the worm type hose clamps, but it's all I can find in auto parts stores.

Okay so here's something that's confusing me is sizing for the clamps. Assuming I'm figuring this right, you want a clamp with a measurement range that the OD of your hose sits within, correct?

Correct, after seeing NCFJ's success with these clamps a few years ago I switched over for the same reason. These things are fantastic and I don't have enough good things to say about them. Being in New England we can have days as low as -10 or as high as 100, the OEM clamps were a nuisance and since switching over I haven't had a single fitting leak on me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom