Gas odor in Cab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings. Complete Newb here. I got a 76 fj40about three weeks ago. Hadn't really driven it until about three days ago since the head gasket blew on the way home :doh:.

Anyway, now that I've been driving it, I'm getting a gas smell in the cab - especially after taking a sharp left, or having the rig on a steep incline (passenger side down). I know that some odor is to be expected since the tank is under the passenger seat, but are there any "usual suspects" for leaks? I thought about searching around with a match, but came here instead. After a quick search in the forums, here I am. Any advice is appreciated.

Fuel separator (inside the cab near the fuel filler hose) and the rubber lines between it, the tank, and the hard lines going to/from the engine. There are a lot of them.

Also, look for holes in the tank. They sometimes rust due to holding condensation inside. (water's heavier that gasoline)

Check the gasket around the sender, the fuel lines that go from the tank through the floorboard and the lines associated with the fuel separator. Pull the seat and the tank cover and see if you see any wetness - if the odor is strong enough, you're sure to find some weeping.

I just posted this question not too long ago.....do a search and you'll find some other info....

Welcome to MUD! No matches please! The fireworks would be spectecular, but the aftermath would be ugly!

Remove your passenger seat and all sheet metal shields around your gas tank, fuel lines and fuel filler line. Since you say it is worse when the vehicle is leaning downhill to the right (full tank?) I'd check everything for fuel seepage. You'll see a darker, moist shadowy area if you have any seepage from any of your lines/ fittings. Also, check all around your tank. These older rigs frequently have rust problems causing pinhole leaks.

Also, how about some pics of your 40? Are the pear ochards in bloom yet? If not, they should be very close.

Don

(edit) Mr. Toad and CruiserStuff, you beat me and my hunt and peck typing.

Welcome!

Welcome to driving a 40! GAS SMELLS, 90 Wt. smells, burning oil... all part of the game :) ;)

Thanks for the advice. I figured I'd have to take it down to the tank and just find what's going on..

Also, how about some pics of your 40? Are the pear ochards in bloom yet? If not, they should be very close.

Pear blossoms are getting close - the parade is this Saturday. As far as pics, I'll try to attach a couple, but I'm not exactly sure how the whole attachment thing works...

A little about the rig: 1976, 2f, mallory ignition, downey header, full roll cage, bfg 33s, 2 1/2 inch lift, ranchos, auxilliary tank (possible source of smell), nerfs, ramsey 8000, it was a CA rig and the PO was trying to meet emissions so it has a new carb with a mass of vacuum hoses, but he also gave me a weber carb that I'm thinking of putting back on... It's a pretty unique rig,anyone recognize it?
PICT8655.JPG
PICT8665.JPG

What they said. Just went through the same issues on mine. Founf the separator nipple had broken off and was venting to the cab.
Take the seat out, the shields off and look at everything. Replace any fuel line or vent line in question.

Also, check under your hood and make sure charcoal canister is connected. follow the metal line to the Driver side and verify those connections as well.

i went through the same thing. i got it fixed by doing a couple things. one my carb was in dire need of a carb kit so i put in a carb kit. 2 my fuel line had rotted off and the PO taped it up with electrical tape and called it good. and 3 the linkage to the carb was bent and the motor wasn't going above an idol and loading up with gas. fixed all that and no more bad gas smell's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom