gas leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK gentlemen have a real issue/question...i had a gas leak on my 88 fj62 and took it to the local dealer they hit me up for close to 500 bucks( take the tank down and as they say fix a piece of tubing that had rusted apparently the fuel pump off the tank was fine) so I take the car home and there is still a leak this time closer to the right passenger side rear wheel looks like a leak that spills gas while driving. I take it back to the dealer now they tell me 'it is corroded part of the 'canistor' and the part is no longer made cant fix it!
needless to say I am not going to pick up my car and have been talking to the supervisor who is supposedly going to call me back. Anyone out there know what the heck they are talking about the 'canistor part of the fuel line near the tank and not availible? tnx

:confused:

gas leak follow up

just a follow...the service called me back now tells me that it is the hose going to the charcoal canister ( which according to them cannot be found!) and that he could 'fix' the problem by bypassing the charcoal canister ....?but it could build up pressure n the gas tank(?) and that will stop the gas leak but I would have to find a hose and possibly the charcoal canister (?)

sure could use some advice on this...tnx

IIRC the charcoal canister is in the engine compartment, at least it is on my 60, I'll have to check my 62.

The hoses from the tank are just that, hoses. Where I live, Rubber does not rust but it does crack and split over time. There are a few metal tubes in the mix back there in your right side rear storage compartment area. I'll look for the parts tonight when I get home and take some pictures.

thank you...i figured as much...about the charcoal canister being in the engine area...and had to get into a 'lengthy' discussion with the mechanic regarding that....at this point they are going to bypass the 'charcoal' canister back there ( which I suspect is a filter of some kind in actuality) which will hopefully stop the leak for now... . look forward to seeing your pictures and then comparing them to what i have and need and will most likely see it getting it from you.

Sure appreciate your input very much. Thank you sir! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom