Garmin...looks interesting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It'd be a lot more compelling if they'd integrated the inReach stuff. Looks interesting for sure though

I'm not getting why they need to build a device at all. Do people still buy standalone navigator devices? Garmin should release an app with the same functionality for a tablet or phone.

I like a navigation tool that just does that (sole function) and does not depend on cellular and does not impact my phone or other tools that might depend on their own battery power. Sure I have a cell phone and it has apps. I want a dedicated tool. I do like the mid size tablet as a navigation tool, but a dedicated navigation tool is something I like.

I haul around a GARMIN navigation tool all the time on road trips....I prefer it over my phone.

something to be said for not putting all your navigation eggs in one electron-whizzing basket...

something to be said for not putting all your navigation eggs in one electron-whizzing basket...
I carry a phone, a tablet, and a laptop. No single point of failure for me. 😜

I like a navigation tool that just does that (sole function) and does not depend on cellular and does not impact my phone or other tools that might depend on their own battery power. Sure I have a cell phone and it has apps. I want a dedicated tool. I do like the mid size tablet as a navigation tool, but a dedicated navigation tool is something I like.

I haul around a GARMIN navigation tool all the time on road trips....I prefer it over my phone.

You don't need a cell connection to use your phone as a navigation device. I use Google Maps, GaiaGPS, and AvenzaMaps. They all work with offline maps. And when I'm in cell range, they automatically update. Best of both worlds.

IMHO, the UX on most navigators suck.

You don't need a cell connection to use your phone as a navigation device. I use Google Maps, GaiaGPS, and AvenzaMaps. They all work with offline maps. And when I'm in cell range, they automatically update. Best of both worlds.

IMHO, the UX on most navigators suck.

does that not depend on the phone in use? Well yes...with "offline" maps, thats true.

Not sure what this new device from garmin has with respect to specifications, but my preference is for the device to navigate without cellular input, and without having to upload offline map data. A truly stand alone GPS device that functions off and on road, sure if signals are out there it could use them, but when not, it should not turn into a brick. (cellular signals). To the extent I'm aware thats how stand alone GPS tools work. Or I would like the ability to load say a an entire state map (off-road data) via usb or other sim card type device and then "let her rip" as far as navigation...or better yet an entire region (multi-state) uploaded by sim card, if the data were to be too large for all of that to sit on the device at once. Seems that data devices keep shrinking in physical size and growing in capacity, (SSD) or whatever is used as the drive device in these tools. Given the technology advancements it would seem a device that functions off-road in the same fashion as those for on-road would be fully feasible at this point, with less requirements for the end user to pre-plan or to upload offline map data. I understand that the volume of off-road data is likely huge...in comparison to the data used to just navigate via pavement, or thats my guess. But off-road data only speaks to elevation and generalized direction data...etc, rather than the on road data that shows businesses and resturants...etc...etc.

does that not depend on the phone in use? Well yes...with "offline" maps, thats true.

Not sure what this new device from garmin has with respect to specifications, but my preference is for the device to navigate without cellular input, and without having to upload offline map data. A truly stand alone GPS device that functions off and on road, sure if signals are out there it could use them, but when not, it should not turn into a brick. (cellular signals). To the extent I'm aware thats how stand alone GPS tools work. Or I would like the ability to load say a an entire state map (off-road data) via usb or other sim card type device and then "let her rip" as far as navigation...or better yet an entire region (multi-state) uploaded by sim card, if the data were to be too large for all of that to sit on the device at once. Seems that data devices keep shrinking in physical size and growing in capacity, (SSD) or whatever is used as the drive device in these tools. Given the technology advancements it would seem a device that functions off-road in the same fashion as those for on-road would be fully feasible at this point, with less requirements for the end user to pre-plan or to upload offline map data. I understand that the volume of off-road data is likely huge...in comparison to the data used to just navigate via pavement, or thats my guess. But off-road data only speaks to elevation and generalized direction data...etc, rather than the on road data that shows businesses and resturants...etc...etc.

My phone works exactly the same online and offline once the maps are downloaded. I download large swaths of California in Google Maps and it might take 1 gb or two....not sure of the exact number. I have downloaded detailed National Forest Visitors maps and Motor Vehicle Use Maps for all national forests in California, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado. It may take a few hundred megabytes. I have downloaded detailed topographic maps for most of the Eastern Sierras and Death Valley. My phone (pixel 2) has 128 GB. It's only half full. Map data accounts for maybe 3gb at most, so I suspect I could download alot more.

I admit it is a cool looking device. But if you have a tablet or a decent sized phone already you can essentially do the same thing for a lot less. True, it isn’t a dedicated unit, but I’m with @Dharma Dude on the phone//tablet UI.

For example : I use Caltopo to make my own maps for trips. I print a paper copy and sync a georeferenced PDF to my iPhone and iPad. That is two electronic and one hard copy redundancy. I can use a wide variety of basemaps and even combo base layers. My favorite happens to be a combo of MapBuilder Hybrid and USGS. I consult iOverlander and Ultimate Campgrounds to plot things on my maps as well.

I already own my iPhone and iPad so no real additional cost there. Caltopo can be used for free. Avenza can as well, but if you want a decent amount of custom map uploads it will run you $20 per year. Ultimate Campgrounds is $4-6, I can’t remember. iOverlander is free. With a little preplanning it is every bit as functional and integrated as this new Garmin device for a heck of a lot less. Plus, with planning ahead you have studied your plan, making you better prepared.

About the only benefit to the new device is that you can more easily last minute stuff. But I don’t like to last minute this kind of thing anyway.

At the price point it is a little steep, but it's nice to see companies offering products like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom