Garage floor coating referral? Polyaspartic, epoxy, etc. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Otter

All Access Pass Holder
SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone have their garage floor coated with polyaspartic or epoxy recently and have any contractor recommendations?

Thanks!

Questions: do you have it now and know what you're getting into? Don't get me wrong, I like the stuff for making concrete garage floors look better, but know there are some downsides...

A) You HAVE to keep it dry - spilled water, A/C condensate from the cars, etc. are significant slip hazards on epoxy. We have the grain added material, so it has slight texture and I can't tell you how many times I've nearly broken by ass or strained a muscle doing unintentional splits.

2) Its permanent - as in, this better be your retirement home, or the next owner better love it. The only way to get rid of it is a total break up for the slab, mechanical chipping, or brake fluid sitting on it for long periods of time - which will soften the epoxy enough to screw it up in places (*don't ask...). Be sure you LOVE that tye-dyed pattern or checkerboard before they start applying it.

III) There was a 3rd thing, but I'm forgetful. Sue me. WAIT - I'm back! You'll lose a lot of small parts, never to be seen again, if you drop them under the cars while working on them. Something about the fleck-pattern on ours, but any small pins, nuts, etc. just disappear into the abyss. Sometimes, a flashlight on the floor and shined parallel to it will create a shadow, but small parts,... forget it.

But wait - there's more! Four) this better be applied right after a fresh pour of your slab (*after proper curing time), or you'll have areas that won't cover or adhere well if there are grease spots or other detritus. Also, this is where paying the professionals will pay off, as they have caustic cleaners that will prep the surface, and will warranty their work. This is a job I would not attempt myself, though YouTube would have you think differently after a 6-pack and some liquid bravado.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks @LongDuck for the response.

It's a brand new pour for the garage. Probably a month or so out from getting the coating done. We plan on being here for the foreseeable future, so that's not a concern. I've done enough at this house that a future purchaser's concerns is the least of my worries. We're making the changes for us not someone else.

This is something I definitely wouldn't consider doing myself. Any work with specific unforgiving time points is not my bag. Totally hiring a professional, hence the search for recommendations.

Installed the Rust-Oleum epoxy ourselves on our garage up north. It was a new pour and let it cure over the winter. Used a tan and sprinkled flakes on. Can not see it every being a issue if we ever sell, wasn't personalized and after all it just a garage. Been down thirteen years and held up great. Until three years ago with a cinder driveway with couple drop out of the garage. When backing in with wet tires backing in slow rear tires would squeal going up the bump. Have a few scratches but no peeling I read was an issue. I also no peeling from any oil or chemicals being spilled. Also water sitting in it has never been a problem. That happens quite often. Home is remote and finding someone to do quality work isn't we easy. Got lucky in 2009 I found a hungry contractor who built an 1,100 square foot garage for price could only dream about today.

IMG_20190625_144441895.jpg

IMG_20190610_091829413.jpg

IMG_20190822_190910023.jpg

I would seek out professionally clean, seal/stain if it is largely crack free, that is what we have found best in many professional shop settings.

I had a professional coating applied to a home shop/garage several years ago, the coating was great, very durable looked amazing etc. My mistake was adding color chips, looked great, but
36929256-68C9-4937-8222-50ACFDB53A03.jpeg
it made it much more difficult to find dropped nuts, bolts etc.

Thanks @LongDuck for the response.

It's a brand new pour for the garage. Probably a month or so out from getting the coating done. We plan on being here for the foreseeable future, so that's not a concern. I've done enough at this house that a future purchaser's concerns is the least of my worries. We're making the changes for us not someone else.

This is something I definitely wouldn't consider doing myself. Any work with specific unforgiving time points is not my bag. Totally hiring a professional, hence the search for recommendations.
I agree mine was done shortly after the concrete was poured, after curing of course. All that Longduck, Thomas said IS true. But I still love it and would not trade it. Can be slippery but stays clean quite easily and I believe that keeps my house cleaner as well. No regrets.

Richard, did you do your floor yet? Mine is "quartz" polyaspartic coating, I installed it when I bought a house in Feb. I love it. It was like 80 grit sandpaper at first but eventually the chips lay down/wear down a bit. I would agree though, with the pattern, any small dropped parts are a bit tough to find but clean up is a breeze. Oil, paint, stain whatever. It is now full of cabinets, the 80, my old Dodge truck and two motorcycles and you can hardly see the floor :D

20230220_172734.jpg

Looks great!

Yes, I had mine put in mid-May. I really like it. I'll be happy when the garage is complete.

PXL_20230523_225201616.MP.jpg

PXL_20230523_225156910.MP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom