Gallon loss of coolant per year normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. Got a 2013 with 140k. New radiator at about 100k. Last fall I had a CEL and codes for the thermostat and ECT. Car was quite low on coolant (about 3/4 gallon) even though I had done a flush and fill back at the first of the year. So mechanic checked for leaks but found none. Just to be sure I had him replace the hoses when he replaced the thermostat and ECT.

Fast forward to now - heater wouldn’t get hot and CEL. Checked and reservoir was bone dry. Radiator was empty on top. Added a full gallon beforeit would not take anymore and everything seems fine.

So where’s all that coolant going? I can’t swear it got topped off every oil change but it was supposed to. But I know for sure that it lost at least a gallon or so since fall 2022. No leaks on ground or anything I can see around hoses or radiator. How concerned should I be?

Look at the back of the engine from underneath for pink residue and on the bell housing, Could be a really bad valley plate leak where the coolant is evaporating on contact with the hot engine and transmission and not making it to the ground. Seems like a lot of loss (gallon) for a Valley Plate Leak but I suppose its possible.

Lots of threads on that particular issue.

A gallon a year is not normal. Here’s a long thread on the issue mentioned by @TheGrrrrr

Hello. Got a 2013 with 140k. New radiator at about 100k. Last fall I had a CEL and codes for the thermostat and ECT. Car was quite low on coolant (about 3/4 gallon) even though I had done a flush and fill back at the first of the year. So mechanic checked for leaks but found none. Just to be sure I had him replace the hoses when he replaced the thermostat and ECT.

Fast forward to now - heater wouldn’t get hot and CEL. Checked and reservoir was bone dry. Radiator was empty on top. Added a full gallon beforeit would not take anymore and everything seems fine.

So where’s all that coolant going? I can’t swear it got topped off every oil change but it was supposed to. But I know for sure that it lost at least a gallon or so since fall 2022. No leaks on ground or anything I can see around hoses or radiator. How concerned should I be?
My guess is the valley plate, or "heat exchanger" as the FSM calls it. I'm at 149k and just had a similar issue. I was filling the overflow every ~4 weeks. There was nothing on the ground and no evidence of the leak except a small pink crusty trail on the transmission bellhousing on the passenger's side. Dealership tried to use a boroscope on the top and couldn't see the leak, but their answer was since there was no dripping on the garage floor and none inside the cabin passenger's side floor it had to be either the valley plate or a blown head gasket.

Agree with @linuxgod . I had a 2013 with the valley plate leak at somewhere around 225,000 miles (Need to check myself - CRS syndrome here). Had it fixed at a great indy shop in Fort Worth. Later developed head gasket leak at 345,000 miles. Drove it until 348k and then sold it.

I hope I have the same experience with my ‘21.

Thanks to everyone. Is the rough $1500 estimate from the other thread still accurate these days? Seems like everything is at least 1.25x lately.

Thanks to everyone. Is the rough $1500 estimate from the other thread still accurate these days? Seems like everything is at least 1.25x lately.
I just paid $1400 at my local dealer. It's 90% labor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom