Gaia app (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the Gaia app.

If I buy the premium can I use it for my iPad and my iPhone? Or do I have to Pick one device and use it? I’d like to use my new iPad and I have several others. I don’t understand the phone carrier thing but I have an older iPad as well with it. And would like to have my kids follow along on thier phones and learn maps and help plan routes while I just focus on the driving.

also do I need to buy a separate gps unit? My 200 nav already has a gps locator and my cell phone.

Thanks!

As long as you have the same account, you can use it in your iPad, iPhone, laptop, etc. The subscription is on your apple ID, not on the device.

The app will need a GPS signal though. It will work perfect on your phone. It will also work perfect on the iPads if they have an LTE connection. I'm not sure how well they will work without it since iPads with LTE also have built in GPS. The wifi only iPads do not from my understanding.

If you have a Wifi only iPad, you'll have to pair it with a separate GPS transceiver (most are bluetooth enabled these days).

How does that work? I put the gaia app on my wife's 5th gen ipad. I guess it's a wifi only ipad because she doesn't get calls on it and there is no carrier listed in the "about" section in general settings. But if I put it on airplane mode, my location in the Gaia app still shows up and the directional arrow is accurate. I haven't used it on a trip before, just my iphone though.

5th gen iPad specs on LOCATION tech:
  • Wi-Fi
    • Digital compass
    • Wi-Fi
    • iBeacon microlocation
  • Wi-Fi + Cellular model
    • Digital compass
    • Wi-Fi
    • Assisted GPS and GLONASS
    • Cellular
    • iBeacon microlocation

5th gen iPad specs on LOCATION tech:
  • Wi-Fi
    • Digital compass
    • Wi-Fi
    • iBeacon microlocation
  • Wi-Fi + Cellular model
    • Digital compass
    • Wi-Fi
    • Assisted GPS and GLONASS
    • Cellular
    • iBeacon microlocation

I'm not sure what to make of this. Her wifi only ipad technically does not have GPS? How do map apps work on airplane mode then?

I'm with you on this. Just quoting known specs that there is something like GPS working on the wifi only models. This wasn't always the case (on older iPads).

I have not researched what iBeacon is. . .you can go down that rabbit hole.

As for add on GPS transceivers, there are several bluetooth options out there. They also make USB ones designed to work with a laptop (Earthmate comes to mind).

I'm with you on this. Just quoting known specs that there is something like GPS working on the wifi only models. This wasn't always the case (on older iPads).

I have not researched what iBeacon is. . .you can go down that rabbit hole.

As for add on GPS transceivers, there are several bluetooth options out there. They also make USB ones designed to work with a laptop (Earthmate comes to mind).

I googled iBeacon:
"That technology allows mobile apps to recognise when an iPhone is near a small wireless sensor called a beacon (or iBeacons, as well). The beacon can transmit data to an iPhone - and visa versa - using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). iBeacon is a feature in iOS 7, thus Apple's new iPhones will have iBeacon."

The app will need a GPS signal though. It will work perfect on your phone. It will also work perfect on the iPads if they have an LTE connection. I'm not sure how well they will work without it since iPads with LTE also have built in GPS. The wifi only iPads do not from my understanding.
Just for clarity - the iPad (or any other tablet) only needs to be cellular capable. It does not need to have an actual LTE connection or data plan of any sort.

As long as you have the same account, you can use it in your iPad, iPhone, laptop, etc. The subscription is on your apple ID, not on the device.

The subscription is on the ACCOUNT. I use mine on an iphone and windows machine. I give the password to homies to check my routes

Just for clarity - the iPad (or any other tablet) only needs to be cellular capable. It does not need to have an actual LTE connection or data plan of any sort.
This is 100% accurate. I have a gen 1 iPad mini that I run Waze and Gaia on regularly. The iPad, though ancient, is cell capable and, this, has stand alone GPS capability.

I'm pondering using the Giai app but I would need to connect the iphone to an external monitor. What external monitors do ya'll use/recommend?
I have a monitor already set up for my backup camera I would like to use. However, I can't figure you how to go from an iphone to a vga monitor. The monitor. has the female yellow RCA plugs. If anyone has a method to connect an iphone that that type of plug, that would be great.

I think you’ll have a much better experience if you pick up a used cellular-capable tablet. No cell plan needed. The resolution will be better as well

I have an old iPad (second gen). So I could hook up the two so that the ipad becomes the monitor/screen for the iphone?

I have an old iPad (second gen). So I could hook up the two so that the ipad becomes the monitor/screen for the iphone?
Is it cellular capable (not just WiFi)?

You can install the app on the iPad itself. One Gaia subscription works across multiple devices. Any waypoints, tracks, etc that you create will update across the devices.

Although I’m an Apple guy I’ve been using one of these for Gaia but I also have the app on my iPhone and laptop.
ZTE K92 Primetime Unlocked GSM 10" Android Tablet Amazon product ASIN B081ZJRJ8S

You can install the app on the iPad itself. One Gaia subscription works across multiple devices. Any waypoints, tracks, etc that you create will update across the devices.

Although I’m an Apple guy I’ve been using one of these for Gaia but I also have the app on my iPhone and laptop.
ZTE K92 Primetime Unlocked GSM 10" Android Tablet Amazon product ASIN B081ZJRJ8S
The ipad is cellular capable, however, it's a Version ipad and our phones are ATT. I don't plan on paying two carriers. (I bought the ipad when I was spending a lot of time in S. GA. At that time ATT wasn't very reliable there.)

The ipad is cellular capable, however, it's a Version ipad and our phones are ATT. I don't plan on paying two carriers. (I bought the ipad when I was spending a lot of time in S. GA. At that time ATT wasn't very reliable there.)

As mentioned earlier, you don’t need a rate plan to use Gaia on your IPad...you just need an IPad that is gps-enabled. And it sounds like yours is.

Actually I cannot install the app on my ipad. I tried; the message stated "App not compatible with this ipad."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom